1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

TSB 50P ECM Reprogram Done

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by hdrygas, Jan 20, 2006.

1. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I had the ECM reprogram done to day and I have to say that my initial impression is that the car goes into stealth mode much more easily and stays in longer. I actually have some data as I have the CAN-View installed (BTW they did not have to remove or disconnect it). When I received the car post flash I had 2 pink bars on the Energy display for the battery. CAN-View showed 46% SOC and engine temp at 124 F. The ICE stopped with in a minute with the SOC at 47 % as I was showing the Prius Tech the CAN-View. The ICE stayed off for a 3-4 Min show and tell and I pulled out of the garage and the car stayed in stealth until I was out of the lot and sped up to pull out on to the street. All this with engine at 124 and SOC 46%. On the trip home the car slipped into stealth much more easily and glide mode as well. More on that later. I will keep folks posted as to how it goes but the car does appear to behaving differently than pre flash.

2. Rick Grahn

Rick Grahn New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You know, I had the ECM reprogramming done a couple of weeks ago and, although I do not have all of the fancy gadgetry, I had the same impression. It seemed a little different...gas mileage a bit better...transition to/from ICE on/off seemed "smoother"...going from acceleration to gliding "easier." I just figured it was all in my head and there was no real difference. Maybe it wasn't all in my head.

3. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well i had mine done yesterday morning before going to the SEAHAWK game and i noticed that the charge level seems to be higher. i reflashed my CANVIEW and the video would not load even after a few re-downloads of the file and didnt have time to mess with it so i left. i was able to get the CANVIEW updated this morning (nice icons Norm...) and went and got gas, got to work and then came home this evening and im at 55 mpg... that is at least 5 mpg higher than i have any reason to expect.

i also had a chance to do a bit of running around in EV mode as i was stuck at the far parking lot. i moved my car over next to the building which is about a half mile and did it all in EV mode and the thing was, i started at only 55% charge...never was able to do that before... in fact, usually had to be in the 62% range to even have a chance.

pretty anxious to see how the mileage does especially for short winter trips. so far very impressive

4. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The 50P seems to have had the same affect on my 2005.
    Feels like a much more refined beast in town and on the freeway.

I wasn't expecting anywhere near this MPG number. 95% was freeway at 60 MPH or better. Since it was round trip, Sacramento to Berkeley, there was no net altitude loss to help MPGs.
    http://priuschat.com/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=1940

5. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    today while moving my car in EV, was at -70 amps... totally cool. never was able to get anywhere near that high before.

6. joelparks

joelparks New Member

I picked up my car in September '05 and I haven't had to go back to the dealer yet (still under 4K miles).

Shortly after that when I had first discovered PriusChat I read about the various recall and TSBs - someone had posted a link where ostensibly you could find out via your VIN whether you needed a particular service. I tried the link and it didn't work for me.

So I'm wondering, is there a way for me to find out if I need any of these TSB procedures without visiting the dealership? I guess I'll be heading back over there in a month or two anyway, but I'd like to go informed...

7. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    this one is for ALL 04's and first half of 05's i believe

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So what does it do or what should I expect? So far I haven't felt any difference after the ECU update.

9. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Well sans non standard instrumentation, what I am feeling is that it appears easier to go into stealth mode. The battery on the MFD is fuller and I can get into EV mode and ICE off more easily. I think the shutter on ICE off in Stage 2 or 3 is better. This is the first cold morning and I had no shutter on ICE off during warm up. I am not convinced as yet but I think it is much better. BTW with the CAN View it took me much of the 9 mi commute to get the car above 160 and keep it there.

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm, yes the engine doesn't shudder as much as it used to (Back then, when it was cold, the way it shut off felt like someone rear-ended me).

So it's tuned to use the battery more?

11. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I still need to take a day-off to revisit the dealer during the week due to low-voltage durting the first attempt to do the 50P. They need to be on the phone with a Toyota tech to get it done.

Did anyone else have this come up, and if so how was it rectified?...

12. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    Mike had a charger on my car when flashing it...

13. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I think so or the ICE less aggressively. I am not sure. BTW the battery charger is to be standard part of the TSB.

14. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    hmm i see. With your scangauge, you can see the true SOC right? Has the range been extended?

Today, I noticed I managed to make it home on EV in slow moving traffic with AUTO A/C (A/C on) and go from just 7 to 5 bars. I recall draining the battery when I did a trip downtown during rush hour. I was into 4 or 3 bars quite quickly.

15. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

The main difference I notice besides more EV even at low temps, is that I can go up hills in electric mode I never could before.

16. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    yep i notice the same thing. EV mode much more robust. now if i force EV mode, i can easily accelerate to 30 mph without going out of EV and stay there much longer.

17. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Makes me wish I were getting an older car so I could get this update! :)

18. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    As far as anyone knows you got it at the factory!