1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

TSB for oil change door

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by seilerts, May 17, 2011.

1. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Folks, I don't get up here in the rarefied Gen III air very often, but I did come across the following TSB that addresses the accursed oil change door problem. Apparently, they are on the 4th version of the engine cover part! Warranty coverage is 3 years/36k but if you have more than 36,000 and had complained about this to your dealer before hitting 36,000, they should honor the warranty. Apologies if this has already been posted.

Attached Files:

2. Dark_matter_doesn't

Dark_matter_doesn't Prius Tinkerer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It's strange that they refer to warpage, not a crack or tear at the hinge point.

Mine qualifies, but it would be interesting to hear from someone with a VIN number after the ones stated. I can't see the oil change door in the TSB photo.

3. Den49

Den49 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The oil change door is shown in the bottom section of the photo, the one depicting fasteners 4 and 5. Unfortunately, it appears that the design of the oil change door is unchanged.

Interesting that the TSB is for "warped at the front edge" of the undercover. I don't recall anyone on PC reporting that problem. Perhaps there is a loss in translation or Toyota doesn't want to directly acknowledge the problem of the oil change door separating, is giving certain owners one free replacement of the undercover and after that you are on your own?

4. tomlouie

tomlouie Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have such a 2010 model, but don't know how much I can see with a lift or jackstands.

5. DaYooper

DaYooper Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Also it is interesting that they only list 2010 models which would suggest that they have changed the part already for 2011? But didn't release the TSB until April 2011. Doesn't make a lot of sense.

6. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    You know, I didn't realize it until I checked, but the repair manual says to remove the front spoiler cover, the engine under cover, and the No. 1 engine under cover before draining the oil. It makes no mention of using the "oil change door" at all, so why is it there? If it wasn't designed for performing an oil change, maybe that is why it has a tendency to fail. The mystery deepens...

Excerpt from repair manual:

View attachment 30374

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I noticed that as well. It's sort of analoguous to removing your pants to take a pee, LOL.

Total removal of the panel might be a good idea for transaxle fluid change though, just makes life easier.

It's actually a little insane to be removing 3 panels: it's totally possible to remove the No. 1 engine under cover (was there ever number 2, 3? ;)) all by itself, without removal of the other 2. There are a few shared fasteners, that's all.

I've done it no problem (for no reason, just a fishing expedition). It takes about 15 minutes, vs 5 minutes for just the flap.

8. ScottN

ScottN Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I was at the dealer yesterday for a minor issue and asked them to check and see if my oil change door was warped and gave them the TSB. They came back and said it was and they were ordering a new version. Thanks for the heads up! My Prius has almost 33K, so it is about to run out of warranty. This saved me some $$$!

1 person likes this.
  9. kfc2

kfc2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Seilerts,
    Thanks for posting the TSB here!
    I had my under engline cover replaced by the dealer last Sat after showing them the TSB. I'd lost my oil change access door since Aug last year. Happy to get the part replaced finally!

Thanks

kfc2

10. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Did you take a peak at the new door? Does it look any different than the original?

11. kfc2

kfc2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I've not gotten under the car to see the access door yet.
    I will do that on the coming weekend.

1 person likes this.
  12. Den49

Den49 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Although I had installed hinges on the original oil change access door, I decided it might be worthwhile to get the updated engine undercover. I took the TSB to the dealer at the same time I had them flush the brake fluid at about 32,500 miles. The dealer ordered and installed the new engine undercover without any question or hassel for free under the 36K warranty. The dealer would not let me keep the old engine undercover, so I removed the oil change access door and hinges from it before I took the car in for the new undercover install.

The new undercover looks at first to be much the same as the old one, but looking at it closer reveals some improvements. Since I had to turn the old one in, I can't compare them side by side, but based on my recollection of the old one, the new undercover seems to have the following improvements:
    1. The entire cover seems to be more sturdy and doesn't sag below the car as much as the old one.
    2. The hinge groove for the oil change access door has a wider radius than the same groove on the old access door. It may be thicker as well.
    3. The long hinge groove toward the front of the undercover no longer exists.
    4. The various strengthening depressions in the undercover have been resized and the locations changed, particluarly around the location of the oil change access door.
    All considered, I think it is worthwhile to get the new and improved engine undercover. It will be interesting to see how long the oil change access door hinge groove holds up; however, if it breaks I will just install the hinges again. Incidently, the old oil change access door I saved will also fit with hinges on the new undercover so I do have that as a spare.

Thanks again to Seilerts.

3 people like this.
  13. bagwell

bagwell Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    my "oil change door" is long gone and I like it that way, much easier to change oil/filter without the door in the way.

14. alfon

alfon Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

How did you remove the door?

Do you notice any additional road noise, or a decrease in MPG due to perhaps extra under vehicle drag?

Alfon

15. airgas1998

airgas1998 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two

mine too...it was mysteriously cut out by somebody;) i notice no adverse effect whatsoever by doing this.

16. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Missing that flap might cause problems if you're going over a snow drift: there's now an exposed edge to catch. Also, there's insulation on that door.

Beside that it's going to cause a slight increase in drag/turbulence down there, and your engine bay will likely look a bit grungier.

My main issue: part of Toyota's product is falling off.

17. Caug1

Caug1 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Here is how you fix this problem.
    That will never brake.
    use 3 or 4 plastic zip ties.
    c

Attached Files:

TwoUnderPar and car78412 like this.
  18. daveebo126

daveebo126 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good idea, zip ties-just check them occasionally. They sometimes fail due to temp changes-they'll get brittle and crack.

19. dkelly

dkelly Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Is there anything zip ties can't do???

My door came off a few weeks ago. I didn't realize it was gone until I saw an oil change door in the parking lot at work. I looked at it, realized it looked a lot like mine, and only after looking under the car did I realize that it was mine.

I would get the TSB replacement but with 43K on my car I'm out of warranty. It seems like the zip ties are cheaper and quicker.

20. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I think all you who have had the door actually fall off should file a complaint with NHTSA. After all, if it comes off while your car is moving, it becomes a potential hazard for your car or the person behind you.

I dearly love my Toyotas but I absolutely abhor problems like this where they are too cheap to simply recall all affected cars over a piss-poor design.

1 person likes this.