1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

TSB Released on Fuel Gauge Innacuracies

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Tempus, Aug 26, 2004.

1. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    TSB EL010-04

Some 2004 Prius Customers may complain of the following:

Fuel Gauge is not accurate and/or Fuel tank Volume is not close to the stated capacity.

An updated Combination Meter Computer and Fuel Filler Pipe have been created to improve this condition.

Computer and Filler Pipe for VINs up to 57579

Filler Pipe Only for VINs 57580-78361

No fix for VINs 78362+

I'll try to attach it.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm in that range and THANK GOODNESS!!!! I have very high hopes that my range should improve to near 600 miles/tank with adequate fill and an accurate guage. Dang am I excited about this one!!!

3. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I wasn't sure where to put it. Feel free to move it to the files section if it's better off there.

4. jkash

jkash Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I called my service dealer about this TSB and they knew nothing about it, so I emailed them the pdf. I'll let the list know if anything happens today.

Jeff

5. trapperjohn

trapperjohn Junior Member

My vin is 87904 so are they saying I have no problem or there is no way to fix it?

Thanks,
    Trapperjohn

6. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks, Tempus! This thread is getting a sticky note!

7. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Looking over these instructions, do they make anyone else wonder why we pay so much money sometimes to take our cars in for service?

This thing has better step-by-step instructions than putting together a desk or programming your VCR.

8. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Tempus
    Thanks for the pdf! It sure is detailed!

Just wondering...where can the "average joe" find these TSB's? Is it normally posted somewhere on Toyota's website for the public to see? Or is this usually only available to service tech insiders?

9. jkash

jkash Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wonder how long it takes to get these bulletins to the service dealers. I have spoken to three people this morning at my local dealer, and they are still in the dark. I have a call into the service manager. Perhaps he is the only one who gets the bulletins. We'll see. I think I will call another dealer and see if they know what I am talking about.

Jeff

10. jkash

jkash Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just spoke to another dealer about the TSB. He said it may take up to a month before the dealers get this. It depends on how important they are. That sounded kind of funny to me, but there is not much we can do until they get in the loop.

Jeff

11. Bill60546

Bill60546 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    thanks

great job tempus. I fall in the range.

12. jkash

jkash Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    More updates: I spoke to a service advisor where I bought the car, Carson Toyota. He was helpful. The TSC's are emailed to the service managers when they are released. They got the Prius TSC yesterday. The parts have to be ordered before anything is scheduled. The parts will be allocated by Toyota based on how many Prius the dealership has sold. That being said, it seems like it might be a while before the service on this update will be done.

I'll keep you posted if I learn anything new.

Jeff

13. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My car is outside the range, I think. How do you decode the Vin #?

14. amped

amped Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, Tempus! A quick scan of the .pdf shows that, besides falling within a certain VIN range, the owner must first:

- Have a complaint on file. The .pdf shows the magic words the dealer needs to hear.

- Have the dealer order the part. If a new computer is required, there will be a delay while it's odometer memory is programmed with actual miles.

- Arrive for the TSB with <¾ tank of gas.

I didn't see a book time for completion. I'd guess at least 2 hours. That'll leave time to demo a few new 2005 Toyotas!

15. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    When I took my car in for it's 5K a while back, I made the dealer write the fuel gauge problem on the ticket, and write what they did to check it. (NTF).

Since they ruled it NTF, I then asked them to file it with Toyota. Don't know if they did that or not, but the fact that I complained officially and they serviced the complaint should count IMO.

16. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It specifically states:

"* Warranty application is limited to correction of a problem based upon a customer's specific complaint."

So, you need to make a specific complaint and then they'll say, "Yeah, we have a fix for that?"

17. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I saw yours first Brad, so you were first in my book :)

This is very good. The fuel guage thing seemed to be the only universal complaint with the '04s. If it has been fixed as of this spring and older cars can get the fix, everyone is happy!

18. mshappe

mshappe New Member

If your VIN is outside the affected range, then your Prius already has the modifications this TSB recommends. In other words, Toyota started quietly putting the newer computer and filler arrangement into the car a couple of months ago.

19. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Very interesting!! I was going to report that my car just picked up 2 weeks ago and built in July seemed to behave just like a regular with regards to fill ups and the gage. Has the same behavior as an analog gage. Last two fill up were just under 9 gallons and with in a few tenths of each other. In other words fairly normal car behavior. I am going for it and let it get to the blinking gage before filling. I was going to wait for one more fill up before I reported anything. My vin does not appear to be in the range. Anyone know how to decode these Vin's?? I was also told that the check engine O2 sensor thing was fixed and I had no check engine light I watched it like a hawk. I could have flashed for a second but if it was on for more than a minute or two I would have seen it. My brake in was atypical because of the initial 700 mile freeway drive though.

20. krooster1234

krooster1234 New Member

Can anyone who has a car with the VIN number LATER than the ranges specified in the TSB comment on how many gallons they get in the tank when the last bar starts blinking?

My car's VIN is in the range of affected cars, however I don't think I have a problem with the guage. It seems to work ok, and I can get between 9 and 9.5 gallons when I fill up immediately after last bar starts blinking.

Will getting this fix allow me to improve my range? Or is my car just coincidentally not having the problem?