1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tsunami Debris From Japan Reaches Alaska

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by zenMachine, May 23, 2012.

1. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Japanese officials estimate up to 70% of the tsunami wreckage has sunk. But the rest, ranging in size from children's toys to a squid trawler sunk by the U.S. Coast Guard off Alaska in April, has been turning up off the United States and Canada for more than a month.

It's the little pieces of Styrofoam that worry conservationists like Pallister, who says there may be billions of them out there.

"Albatross and sea birds eat this stuff like crazy, and it's killing the hell out of them," he said. Alaskans have been asking for help from the federal government. But the National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration said last week it doesn't have the budget to clean up remote areas. NOAA's marine debris program is facing a 25% cut under the budget the Obama administration has submitted to Congress -- so the cleanup may become the problem of cash-strapped states, already struggling to make ends meet.

At a Senate hearing last week, the head of NOAA's Ocean Service, David Kennedy, said the bulk of the debris wasn't expected to hit until 2013. But he said it was "incredibly expensive" to clean up.

Read more: http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/national/debris-from-japanese-tsunami-hitting-alaska#ixzz1vifC8lQv

1 person likes this.
  2. dustoff003

dustoff003 Blizzard Brigade #003

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I have heard that some junk has washed up here in the Hawaiian Islands and there may be more coming.

Posted from my iPhone via the Tapatalk app.

3. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I always enjoyed beach-combing.

1 person likes this.
  4. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    In fact I will soon be heading to my ol home town in SE AK for a shake and will likely have a chance to pick up some of this treasure. Hope I find a Harley like they did in B.C. :) Perhaps even a Prius c.:D

5. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    1 person likes this.