1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

TTAC: Ask The Best And Brightest: Which Automaker May Be Fudging Their EPA Numbers?

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by cwerdna, Sep 6, 2011.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ask The Best And Brightest: Which Automaker May Be Fudging Their EPA Numbers? | The Truth About Cars
    Hmmm... I have some good guesses about 1-3 possible culprits.

2. stevemcelroy

stevemcelroy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'd guess Hyundai and Kia - they are absolutely killing the competition and I hear that it is hard to come close to the EPA numbers on a few of the new models.

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hmm, I'd guess GM, at least on their automatic models. I've seen numerous reports of lackluster mileage on automatic non-Eco Cruzes on cruzetalk.com. They didn't do so hot in CR's mileage testing either.

If it is them, my suspicion is that they've optimized their automatic pre-production test vehicles to do really well on the EPA test possibly w/an algorithm that results in poor drivability (like refusing to downshift or holding onto a too tall gear for too long) and then they fix it by issuing updates that end up becoming running production changes. There have been numerous complaints about the Cruze's automatic transmission behavior and at least one update available (via reflash).

Manual Eco models don't seem to do so bad.

I thought I recall some GM vehicles in Edmunds long term fleet doing pretty poorly in mileage vs. EPA numbers. I don't remember which vehicles or if my memory is faulty but take a look at the Traverse at Big List of Fuel Economy: April 2011 and compare to EPA numbers at Side-by-Side Comparison. They were averaging well below EPA combined numbers and even city numbers. Please chime in if there were others or I'm wrong.

Side note: http://www.insideline.com/chevrolet/traverse/2009/2009-chevrolet-traverse-full-test-and-video.html complained about the transmission's behavior:

4. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I will not assume significant gaming until real facts emerge. The EPA test specifies speeds *and* accelerations.

That said, if it is GM then another case of a 'design-decision' rather than a warranty issue is sure to be heard loud and wide LOL

5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    If you are going to drive aggressively, you shouldn't be shocked by plummeting fuel economy.

A high top gear is one of the simplest ways for improving fuel economy. However, years of marketing brainwashing has, as lead the public to believe that downshifting is bad. It goes along with the high power is good mantra, and if a car has to downshift to pass or even climb a steep hill, then it must be underpowered.

6. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My suspicion is that all manufacturers build to the test. If/when the publication goes through the bother & expense to run production vehicles through the EPA test cycle and report the results then maybe I'll believe this is a bit more than sour grapes. Right now Mr. Auto Exec (if he even exists) just sounds like a whiney loser.

7. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    1 person likes this.
  8. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    During Cash-4-Clunkers I had to trade up to a better MPG vehicle, but the one I got was better on the sticker only, in reality it's terrible. I wish they had not forced buying a higher MPG vehicle as per EU version of C4C. I should have bought a 2nd Prius, and traded it later in to get what I wanted.

9. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Who forced you to use Cash for Clunkers? I would have sworn that was voluntary.