1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

TTAC: Ford and GM Playing Hybrid Catchup

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by cwerdna, Jun 3, 2011.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ford and GM Playing Hybrid Catchup | The Truth About Cars
    The above article also talks about a possible four modes in a future GM hybrid system.

There are actually some interesting/insightful comments and links there like:
    I also didn't know about 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid vs 2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid - Fuel Economy - Comparison - Motor Trend but Consumer Reports results in their tests pretty much confirmed the FFH doesn't really have a real world mileage advantage over the TCH.

2. billnchristy

billnchristy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Other than some luck at the EPA game it sounds to me like the Fusion is quite the winner vs. the Camry. For a company "15 years" behind they are doing a darn good job maintaining.

I have nothing to say about Chevy but it seems to me in the Hybrid world it would go:

Toyota
    Ford
    Honda
    everyone else

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  4. billnchristy

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    They are averaging 36.8 mpg (8 cars, 98k travelled) on Fuelly. (2010 FFH)

35.1 for TCH 2009 12 cars 372k travelled.

EPA is 39 and 34 respectively.

Is the Ford failing and the Camry overachieving or is the system flawed?

I don't get Prius EPA numbers in Atlanta road conditions.

5. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Last year we bought my wife a Fusion Hybrid. Fit and finish it's way ahead of the Camry Hybrid. The FFH has a functional trunk. The SYNC system and the LCD dash is amazing and she has a lifetime average in the mid-40s and that includes a full winter of driving and not yet a complete summer. She can exceed 50mpg on a trip.

6. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

I'm looking forward to it and I wish them the best. :)

7. billnchristy

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Indeed, the more the merrier and honestly I think a kick in the butt will just get Toyota moving.

8. Sacto1549

Sacto1549 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It think Ford is the most likely company that could challenge Toyota's dominance the terms of hybrids because Ford's Fusion Hybrid sedan and the Ford Escape Hybrid small SUV uses a drivetrain very much like what Toyota did.

I expect Ford to use this design drivetrain when the C-Max Hybrid and the C-Max Hybrid Energi PHEV arrives next year.

9. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ford Fusion aside...which borrows heavily from HSD...

I think Toyota is still way ahead. Toyota is expanding the entire horizon of available Hybrid products while most others are barely on the horizon- period.

That's why I always champion the success of competitors. I want to see The Leaf do well...I'd like Hybrid Ford Fusion....I'd of wished GM would of released the Volt in higher volume and at a more accesible price point.

I own a Honda, and I love their products. But it's my opinion that IMA in it's current configuration is inferior to HSD. The primary reason I never really considered an Insight or Civic Hybrid.

Toyota is the leader. They have to keep moving...which is a good thing. I'd like to see them update their dash technology. Ford and Honda's dash displays I think are much better. Infact with the absence of a Non-Nav, LCD screen in the Gen 3, I think Toyota's dash has taken a step backwards. Wouldn't be a deal breaker to me, but I'd like to see Toyota take a look at Fords Fusion dash, and even Honda's dash's...and borrow from the dynamic and IMO more modern look and interactivity.

But on all other fronts? I score Toyota the clear winner. With competition hopefully growing for the benefit of everyone.

10. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There is a very specific technical reason for this difference between the TCH and the FFH.

It's the ICE being used in each respectively.

In ICE technology there isn't much difference between the makers. However as technology advances one maker leaps slightly ahead of the others then the others catch up and leapfrog over.

Specifically the TCH, which arrived in Spring 2006, employs the 2.4L ICE which was the current technology in 2006 based on technology developed in the late 90's and early 2000's. Two years ago Toyota switched ICE's in the Camry to the more efficient 2.5L. However the TCH kept the older less efficient 2.4L ICE.

Ford OTOH when it introduced the FFH two years ago used its newest most efficient technology when it put its 2.5L into the first FFH.

When Toyota launches the new 2012 Camry later this summer it will also launch a new updated TCH with the more modern and more efficient 2.5L ICE.

I'm positive that the 2012 TCH when it arrives this summer will leapfrog the current, now outdated, FFH....but probably only by a slight margin - 1-2 mpg.

11. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Toyota Camry Hybrid is a piece of sh*t, IMO. And yes I've driven a couple of them. Decent power when it gets going, but a trunk smaller than a backpack, terrible mileage, and an unbelievable lag from pedal all the way down to full throttle (I timed it when I was driving one it's 1.5-2 seconds or something silly).

12. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'd disagree after I had a TCH loaner for ~1.5 days. I posted my impressions at http://priuschat.com/forums/toyota-...impressions-after-driving-hycam-62-miles.html.

Oh... you're the one that posted about the pedal lag. I didn't notice it. The trunk is small but the NAH's trunk I believe is even smaller. Per Side-by-Side Comparison, NAH's trunk is 1 ft^3 smaller and NAH (at least my mom's 07) doesn't even have a trunk pass thru for small objects like skis.

Most fuel-efficient cars wouldn't agree you w/about "terrible mileage". If TCH's mileage is "terrible" then 95%+ of the cars and "trucks" on the road in the US have terrible or super terrible mileage.

13. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well comparing apples to apples Consumer's Report pegged both the Camry Hybrid and Ford Fusion Hybrid at the same 34 mpg. And they used the same test circuit for both cars. Just a couple of years apart since the Camry Hybrid has been out longer. The HS250h showed up at 32 mpg.

14. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

indeed... difference is in EPA optimizations, nothing else.

15. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    They do. I just find it an underwhelming vehicle and it carries a major price premium, which the Altima didn't (maybe does now, I don't know). And about the same mileage on highway as a non-hybrid is disappointing.

I guess all hybrids are pieces of crap to me compared to the Prius :D

16. billnchristy

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    If it's not Prius its CRAAAAP!

17. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Traitor
    :D

On a serious note, how can anyone think Ford is in the same camp as GM. The Ford Escape hybrid SUV actually came out even BEFORE Toyota's SUV HyHi ... as well as the Lexus 400h. And as Tony points out, the Fusion is pretty slick.

18. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

for some reason Ford has really eased off their hybrids lately, thats probably why.

19. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    IIRC, NAH had a fairly big price "premium" compared to a non-hybrid Altima 4-cylinder. However, the NAH was eligible for the $2350 Federal tax credit up until all tax credits ended up 12/31/10 whereas Toyota's went $0 by 10/1/07.

Also, the NAH tended to have heavy incentives on it for ages. Whenever I checked and plugged in a San Jose, CA zip code (e.g. 95136), they'd often have $4K incentives and I'd seen it as high as $5K. Per San Francisco Oakland San Jose Area Nissan Altima Hybrid Offers -0.0% APR - $4,000 Cash Back - $279 Lease - Nissan USA, its' right now $4K. It was $4.5K (IIRC) around Memorial Day weekend.

20. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've also noticed the lack of quickness as compared to my Prius.

I've driven hundreds of them for as much as two days at a time. However again you've got to put the vehicle into perspective. It was designed in '02-'05 using the technology of that period. When it arrived in 2006 it was revolutionary and it was the leader of the segment by a huge margin.

OK so now it's 5-1/2 yrs old. It needs updating later this summer. This is the natural course of automotive technology.