1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

TTAC takes you behind the scenes of the Lexus LF-A

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by cwerdna, Jul 9, 2012.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    TTAC Celebrates Lexus LFA Week, And You Go Behind The Scenes | The Truth About Cars
    Part 1 at The Making Of The Lexus LFA Supercar: Who, What, Where And Most Of All Why. An Inside Report, Chapter 1: From A Bar To Bar None | The Truth About Cars.

2. JamesBurke

JamesBurke Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Lexus LF-A
    The Most Ridiculously Expensive Factory Car

So Mrs. RX450h (D2)(Not mine) went to visit family in China last spring and do the tourist thing that as a native she never got to do. Somewhere shoe shopping she came across an auto show. There was this Toyota or Lexus 2dr model she thought was cute like a Z4 or Z8 but not a convertible. So on her return I get the task of figuring out what it is she saw. The upcoming Toyota/Subaru/Scion? Nope not it. Eliminated all the Toyota and Lexus models on the website down to the future car link. You don't mean this one do you? (D2)Yes that's it I want one of those, how much are they? Pause as all the guys from the kitchen and some regulars drool at the picture on my computer. Yeah it's like 380. (D2)What a month? That's not to bad. No I mean $380,000 and I don't think any of could drive it especially here on WV roads.

So Friday I drive (as D3)the 450h to service in Pittsburgh with Mr. Rx450h (D1). In the showroom with all of your Grandfathers Oldsmobile/Lexus models there is this locked white 2dr sport model that doesn't fit in. D1 is already checking it out. To much plastic and flimsy chicken wire like grills he says. What Lexus is this? It's the one your wife saw in China and that's not plastic it's carbon fiber and maybe titanium. (D1) There is no sticker? How much is it? It's like 6 figure something the sticker is in the back window. (D1) Oh my God that's more than our house!

Seriously going to a Lexus dealer is like going to a senior center. Except for the amigos in the shop and 30 something D1 everybody else looked older the me (50). To bad because the IS AWD model was really nice and competitively priced. Don't care for the CT would just as soon have the Prius 5.

By the way I averaged 29 mpg in the 450h for the 200 mile mostly highway round trip just letting it do it thing. 30f and windy outside. 72f and heated seats inside. Don't think to many Lexus hybrid owners think or care about how the windows get defogged or if, when, or why the ICE starts up. "For 40k to 60k I paid I'm going to be comfortable".

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    ^^^
    Haha... Odd to have references to D1, D2, etc., but at least I get they're different people. And... re: the price.... there's that saying "if you have to ask, you can't afford it." :)

I don't set foot much inside Lexus dealers but one up in Bellevue, WA was quite fancy, w/escalators, big TVs and a fish tank. Another here in the Bay Area (went to it in 08) has indoor customer parking and their service center is offsite somewhere.

Have you checked out the stuff about the Lexus dealer featured at deciding between loaded Prius and CT200h | Page 2 | PriusChat It's also featured at Car Dealerships: You Staying For Dinner? | PriusChat.

On that note, I wish I could remember the tag line I saw of the pic showing Akio Toyoda sitting in the final LF-A that was made. It was good, but it just escapes me. Pic at More Photos of the Final Lexus LFA #500 | Lexus Enthusiast.

4. JamesBurke

JamesBurke Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    D1, D2, and D3 are the driver seat position memory buttons in the 450h. I was previously D3 in the 13 mpg ave. LX560 SUV tank they had. Yes great service from the Lexus dealer always.

5. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ahhh... I've driven but never owned cars w/memory power seats.