1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tune-up in preparation for a cross country trip

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by DrMetal, Feb 25, 2013.

1. DrMetal

DrMetal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello, I own a 2007 Prius, with about 100k on it. Im getting ready to do a cross country move (from DC to San Diego). The drive is about 3K miles, I gotta do it in 3 days, so I'll be averaging nearly 1K/day.

To date, the only work Ive had done are regular tire changes, oil changes, and replaced the rear battery.

I was thinking about getting a tune-up before my trip, but Im really not sure what that entails (or what I should be looking for). I could of course take it to the dealer an ask for a tune-up, but Im sure theyd try to give me a lot of unnecessary things and gouge me!

To that end, if anyone here could suggest what to seek in a tune-up at this point, Id greatly appreciate it. Thanks

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Look at the maintenance/warranty guide, and have the services for the 90K and 100K mile intervals performed.

Also, have the transaxle ATF and the PCV valve replaced.

JMD and JimboPalmer like this.
  3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  4. DrMetal

DrMetal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is this a job for the dealer, or should a local (certified Toyota) mechanic be able to do it? Any idea what this costs? Thanks for the help!

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Any mechanic can do the work. Make sure that only Toyota ATF WS is used in the transaxle, 4 US quarts needed.

Also make sure that your tires and wipers are in excellent condition prior to your road trip. Good luck with your trip and relocation.

6. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  7. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If I was doing a cross-country road trip, I would be inclined to carry a spare inverter coolant pump given the number of issues with them. At least if you break down in the middle of nowhere, any mechanic may be able to help you.

Otherwise, Patrick is spot on with his advice, as usual.

iPhone ?

8. DrMetal

DrMetal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If my car did breakdown per the inverter coolant pump, how would I know that that was the issue? Any particular symptoms?

Thanks for the help everyone, you guys are great!

9. N.J.PRIUS

N.J.PRIUS Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I just had the transaxle oil changed last week on my '05 with 105,000 miles. I called around to a number of Toyota dealers to gauge price. One dealer quoted $149, another said I "did not need to do this" because "Prius did not need a lot of maintenance" and a third dealer I called did not even return the call to quote.

Most dealers have online coupons on their websites. 15% coupon at this one dealer and a promotion with duncan donuts $10 card. Final cost for transaxle service was $127.50 (112.68 labor and $37.32 parts -15% coupon). At the same time I had the oil changed (synthetic) and tires rotated. The dealer also did the steering recall.

What I liked most was multipoint inspection sheet that came with the paperwork. A detailed look including brake lining measurements, tire depths and that at some point this spring I should change the engine air filter (I can do this myself as it is easy to do).

This dealer did not try and "up sell" me on other items. All in all a very pleasant experience with my vehicle being washed when picked up.

Good luck on your cross country drive! 1000 miles a day seems like a lot. Too bad you couldn't take a couple of extra days to see the country and drive a bit less per day.

10. DrMetal

DrMetal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Great, thanks for the input. Would you mind sharing which dealer, so I can perhaps try to match it with mine?

Dumb question: what exactly do we mean by "transaxle" fluid? I take this to mean transmission fluid, right?

11. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Correct. It's a transaxle because it incorporates the differential.

12. N.J.PRIUS

N.J.PRIUS Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Parkway Toyota in Englewood Cliffs

13. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It will usually throw a throw a P0A93 code. I believe your car is affected by the most recent inverter pump recall anyway so I would take it in and make sure that the recall is completed before the trip.

14. MacsVoltage

MacsVoltage Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Check list of recommendations should also include but not limited to these items:
    1-air up all tires including spare and inspect jack.
    2-bring a portable air compressor/tire inflator.
    3-a container with fluids, oil, coolant, washer solvent
    4-install new wiper blades as needed
    5-check cabin and air filters replace as needed
    6-tune up if near or over 100 k
    7-fuel system cleaning as needed
    8-brake inspection/cleaning of shoes and brake caliper slides as needed
    9-cooling system service as needed
    10-use compressed air to clean any debris from radiator and condensor and check operation of heater and A/C
    Just a quick note of a few often over looked road trip checks in no particular order. I am sure I missed a few but hope this helps and enjoy your trip. "Mac"