1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Turanza tires in snow?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by biff44, Aug 27, 2008.

1. biff44

biff44 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I just got a 2008 touring with brigestone turnaza WL400. I searched the site and a lot of people complained about the integra performance in snow, but could not find anything about the turanza. Anyone have any experience with this on snow or ice? Are they acceptable, or will I need to get actual snow tires for the winter in Massachusetts?

2. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    have you checked tire rack? they have scores on that tire

tire rack's performance ratings are:
    winter
    light snow traction 3.5 (FAIR)
    deep snow tracton 2.5 (UNACCEPTABLE)
    ice traction 2.6 (FAIR)

3. biff44

biff44 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks. Wow. I guess the dealer was right when he said "snow tires were recommended"!

I will probably go with michelin Xice, unless anyone has any recommendation out there for something better. I have used Xices before on 4 vehicles and liked them.

Do you guys drive with 2 snows (front), or put them on all 4 positions.

4. Neicy

Neicy Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Hi biff44, and welcome to PC.

I have the Turanza's on my touring and have had no major problems with snow in MA. However, I do not commute very far to work either. The VSC in the touring really helps handling - got stuck coming down I-95 at the beginning of a snowstorm and it kicked in twice when I started to skid. If I had to commute any distance I would probably spring for a set of Blizzaks (had them once on a Corolla) or Xice.

I drove my husband's 2003 Classic Prius in a snowstorm with OEM tires and it handled very well.

I also use "B" mode when I would like to use the engine for extra braking and control (but that is at the expense of gas mileage since there is little, if any, regen in "B")

BTW who was your dealer that told you that? Just curious.

5. biff44

biff44 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    That would be Boch Toyota. We were looking around for one, and we walked in and they said they had one coming in in 2 weeks IF we bought it right then.

6. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    the only bad thing is that the prius only has room for 4 tire sensors, so to keep the tpms happy you will have to have someone remount the snow tires. some cars have room for 8 tire sensors so you can keep 4 extra tires + rims in the garage, but the prius isnt one of them. i guess its not that bad, paying to have 4 tires mounted is a lot cheaper then having to buy 4 more rims, i suppose