1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Turn Off Seat Belt Beep

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by charlielinda, Sep 21, 2006.

1. charlielinda

charlielinda New Member

I have a new Prius (2006) and only had it two weeks and still trying to learn about it. In another thread today I saw someone mention that the seat belt beep can be turned off. Can someone tell me how to do that?

FYI -- My first tank of gas got 49.5 mpg.

2. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Put your seatbelt on. The beep will vanish instantly.

3. TomSwift

TomSwift Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    The following post from (I believe) R. Johnson describes how to disable the reverse beep and the seatbelt beep. I haven't tested these, but I believe they do work:

Steps.

1. Power on the car to IG-ON or READY. IG-ON will do for this purpose.
    2. Using the Trip/ODO button, set the Trip/ODO display to ODO - not Trip A or Trip B
    3. Power off the car.
    4. Now power the car to READY (brake on). This is required so that step 6 works correctly.
    5. Within 6 seconds of powering on, press and hold the Trip/ODO button for 10 seconds or more.
    6. WHILE STILL HOLDING ODO *after* the 10 seconds, shift the "gear" selector from P to R, then back to P. Now release the Trip/ODO button.
    7. If the last step was successful, "b on" or "b off" should be displayed in the location where the Trip Odometer or Odometer is normally displayed. "b on" is beep on, and "b off" is beep off.
    8. Press Trip/ODO to toggle the mode.
    9. Now power the car off to exit the toggle mode.
    10. Power the car on to READY and confirm the reverse beep status by shifting to R. The beep should not be audible if "b off" was selected, and should be audible if "b on" was selected..

Note: The Repair manual page states that if the the 12v battery is disconnected, the beep will reset to the default of on, and this procedure will need to be performed again. The repair manual also isn't clear that Trip/ODO should remain depressed while shifting.

Additional Note: The driver and passenger seatbelt reminder chime can be disabled or enabled (respectively, defaults appear to be driver on and passenger off) using similar steps. Instead of shifting from P to R to P in step 6, simply buckle then unbuckle the appropriate seatbelt while continuing to depress the Trip/ODO button.

4. Ghostrider

Ghostrider New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TomSwift @ Sep 21 2006, 08:47 PM) [snapback]323183[/snapback]</div>
    Used those instructions today and they worked. I don't drive without a seatbelt but I don't see any need to have two different alarms going off (seat belt changes tone and gets more urgent) when I pull the car into the garage after washing. A flashing light is fine as a reminder and is what my other toyota has.

5. Flying Toad

Flying Toad Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

I cannot find any instructions online for the 3rd Gen Prius, does anyone know how to do this?

6. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Possibly a good idea to ask your question in one of the Gen 3 forums. If anyone will know they will, over there.

7. ladymcquaid

ladymcquaid Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Har har har

Priipriii and bisco like this.