1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

'Turn Power Off' Warning & Yellow Triangle!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by GrumpyCabbie, May 12, 2010.

1. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yikes had a warning flash up last night that I've not seen before and thought I'd ask you guys what it might be.

Had just done a reasonably long run from an airport with 3 burly guys and their luggage. Just as I was pulling up to their hotel the car did a continuous beep and flashed up the warning "Turn Power Off" and flashed the yellow triangle. When I was stopped I was in Park and it was still beeping and flashing this warning.

I ignored it (as you do) and it went off, allowed me into drive and all was ok for the rest of my shift.

Could one of them have opened their door just as I was pulling up to cause this? But I'm sure it just beeps and lights the door open light if they do this? Could one of them have been blocking the battery air vent which caused it to get too hot? and then opening the hatch to remove their luggage caused it to cool down enough to carry on ok?

Or is it the sign of bad things to come? :eek:

2. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not a good sign!

Vent blocking seems plausible, don't think the handbook tells you what warning you'll get if the vent is blocked (just says don't do it!).

I suppose you could try purposefully blocking the vent and see if you get the same warning?

3. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'll give that a miss. Might pop down the dealers and see what they have to say on the matter. Perhaps they can plug in and see if any error codes?

4. Dan bo

Dan bo Prius Fan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi

I'm not sure how our model differs from yours, but on page 519/20 it list these two as a possible reasons for a master caution and that warning message;

Page 519
    The electronic key has been taken outside the vehicle and
    the doors have been locked without first turning the
    “POWER” switch to OFF. (vehicles with entry function)

Page 520
    An attempt to lock the doors has been made
    using the smart key system while the electronic
    key is inside the vehicle. (vehicles with entry function)

As you were still moving, I think the first part can be dismissed, but is it possible that you hit the lock button on the key fob? I haven't tried this but may later today just to see what happens.

Hope this helps

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It happened to me last summer while leaving our neighborhood. I pulled into a shopping center parking lot, turned the car off and on, and it went away. I was unable to replicate it but I did have the key fob in a pocket with 'stuff.' Still, no harm in letting the dealer take a peek and possibly inspecting the tires too. Any abnormal wear patterns are best detected before it gets into serious rubber.

Bob Wilson

6. dtuite

dtuite Silverback

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Pocket-junk can indeed activate those fob switches. The time the "panic" button started the horn going at around midnight while I was getting ready for bed was a revelation. "NOW what inconsiderate nincompoop has set off his car alarm?" I wondered.

7. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Not sure about the GIII, but Pearl (GII) does this every time I open the door with the car in "D" and on. I open the drivers door to gauge my parking position in my garage (mark on wall). I'll bet one of the passengers opened a door.

Try it and see. Stop with car on and in "D" and open the door.

8. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I also vote for an open door while the car was moving or at least in gear. Tony posted that he would do this on purpose during demo rides to freak out the passenger. (No sheep were harmed during this procedure.)

9. Dan bo

Dan bo Prius Fan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I drove my wife into work this morning and played with it. Here is what I got

- what David said about opening the driver's door while the car is in "D" caused it for me, and went away once I closed the door.

- Opening any of the other door only caused the red "door open" symbol to come on nothing else.

- Pressing either the lock or unlock (didn't try panic) buttons on the keyfob did nothing while the car was in motion. So the reference on page 520 must be in regards to trying to lock the door using the hash marks on the door handle and not the keyfob. sorry that I miss read that.

But if you didn't open your door then you probably get it check at the dealer, will be intresting to see if they can pull a error code out.

10. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    must have opened the door just as putting into park then. will have a play later and see. at least its not the end of the world or a dud battery.

thanks for the answers all :)

11. shaun5stu

shaun5stu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I had a similar problem when I bought my car. The problem was the hatchback was not fully closed. It was closed enough so that the "door ajar" light did not come on, but when I drove over a bump, it would open a bit and the yellow triangle would come on. Closing the hatchback fully solved the problem.t

12. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I had a similar problem with my hatchback but the error message that I received was "Key Detected in Vehicle", not "Turn Power Off".

13. shaun5stu

shaun5stu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Oh yeah..Maybe that was the message I got..It's been a while. I just remember the triangle.

14. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just tried opening the door whilst in drive and the car just displays 'shift to park' and not 'turn power off'. I have also tried pressing the buttons on the remote control whilst the car is in ready and nothing happens, not even locking the doors etc.

So what does the error message 'turn power off' really mean?

15. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think the big guy was sitting over the battery vent in the back and the battery got hot, that's the only thing I can come up with that would want you to turn power off from your discription of events.

16. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Maybe you could try covering up the battery vent and see if you get the same error message.

17. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    lol, I'd really rather not.

I am worried already that the battery could have got that hot already and it's not even summer. I dread to think if any long term damage had been done to it.

I guess its something for me to keep an eye out for in future.

18. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    LOL - I thought about trying it and let you know how it went but decided against it for the same reason :)

19. PriusTex

PriusTex New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I had this message when the hatch door was not closed all the way. Check the hatch--it has a 'catch' and a 'lock.' If it has not gone all the way down to the lock mode, you will get the yellow triangle. Maybe the luggage kept it from closing fully?