1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Turn signal backup camera idea?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by HTMLSpinnr, Jul 8, 2009.

1. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Anyone else consider the idea of causing the backup camera to enable when using a turn signal useful? Perhaps checking behind while changing lanes, etc?

Idea popped into my head - not sure if I'd want it full time, but at least some sort of manual trigger for the backup cam while driving or stopped would be nice w/o the need to shift into reverse.

1 person likes this.
  2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    It wouldn't serve much of a safety purpose, but there were times people stopped REALLY close behind me at a light here and I was so PO'd I'd shift into 'R' to see just how close they really were... So during those times I wished I could turn it on w/o having to actually go into Reverse...

Not sure if it would be helpful when the flasher is on; does it show that much to the side of the car to be helpful during say a lane change? I forget w/o looking at it right now...

3. slamproductions

slamproductions New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    i'd like this mod. it proves useful.

4. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I think I'd settle for a momentary switch. Given that the NAV unit uses the reverse indication sensor, if you could momentary switch this w/o triggering reverse or backup lights, it'd be a cake modification.

Dylan Doxey likes this.
  5. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You, of course, would need a delay-off circuit as the triggering wire input. Other than that, I don't see any issue. However, Volvo/Ford/Mazda already has the blind-spot monitoring system that employs two radars (inside the sides of rear bumpers) that can detect metal objects within 30 ft of blind spot area and display a small LED light in the side mirror to alert you. If signal stoke is activate, beeps would be heard. (the whole system can be turned off).
    This BSM system costs only about $200 list price.
    I don't know if a fast moving backward image will be any more useful.
    However, it would be interesting to see your review if you actually do it.

6. Prius Drive Thru

Prius Drive Thru Road Warriors

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    A momentary switch would be a very cool idea. There are lots of times when I wish I could use the camera and not be in reverse.

Dylan Doxey likes this.