1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Turn Signal DRL Installation Instructions

Discussion in 'Knowledge Base Articles Discussion' started by CinciPrius, Jun 11, 2007.

1. CinciPrius

CinciPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've added turn signal based DRLs to my 2005 Prius and have been very happy with the results. I like the yellow DRL effect much better than the often glaring high beam DRLs.

I got the DRL kit from http://www.webelectricproducts.com/. The installation is very simple. I've attached a Word document that shows the specific wires you need to connect to on the Prius.

I shared the document with another Canadian Prius Chat member who imported a US Prius and used the Web Electric DRL module. The installation has passed inspection by the Canadian inspectors.

8/4/2007 - I edited the document today to add a picture showing the location of the relay panel where you can find the switched power.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  2. HighBreed

HighBreed Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    What kit model number did you get? Was it the universal model? Nice write-up. Thanks.

3. thrakos

thrakos New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

Although this thread been out for a while but i just received my 08 Prius Touring with leather and used the instructions to activate my DRL. Thanks for the detailed posting

4. beach247

beach247 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for sharing this. I'm assuming you both got the DRL-1 Universal Daytime Running Lights Module. Is that correct?

I live in Los Angeles. But, I'm moving to Toronto around summer time of this year.

I was just going to wait until I get to Toronto and have it fixed over there (estimated cost would be $150-$200). But, I would save some money if I can do it myself while still here in LA. I'm mechanically challenged. But, I'll give it a whirl. I printed the detailed instructions with pictures on my color printer.

Thanks again!

5. Joe8002

Joe8002 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I just finish the turning light mod on my 2008 Prius. I followed the instructions posted by the excellent post provided by CinciPrius. However, I wanted to make sure there was not change to the wiring circuits for a 2008 model. Rich96c4cc, helped me with schematic for 2004 and later models. I did the following to ease the installation:
    1/ I soldered extra wire where connections are required to gain some slack for connections.
    2/ All soldered connections were covered with electrical heat shrink sleeves purchased from Radio Shack.
    3/ Quick spliced a 2 ft piece of wire to purple ign/power wire underside of center relay box.
    4/ Reinstalled box and routed length of wire behind wiring harness with black tie straps.
    I connected the Module to the chassis wiring harness with a plastic tie strap on drivers side of engine firewall.
    5/ Used spiral wrap for wiring-purchased at Radio Shack.
    6/ The rt turning lamp wiring was routed under the forward shroud. I don't have any exposed wiring showing. All looks like it's part of Prius.
    The total time to accomplish was 4.5 hrs. I took my time, especially with the soldering. I have photos but they are to large to attach. If someone can help me with them I'll post them along with the wiring schematic.

6. beach247

beach247 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I heard from Lloyd9 and Bob (a member of the Canada-Prius Yahoo Group) that you can make the foglights come on when you start the car by performing a simple procedure on the foglights relay in the small fuse box.

I'm still waiting to hear about the details from these two guys. But, does anybody here know anything about this? I want to do this before I leave for Toronto this summer.

I know that the foglights would satisfy the Canadian DRL requirement.

Thanks in advance.

Addendum: Sorry, I spoke too soon without doing a search. It has already been discussed by NoMoShocks! I wish there was a delete button here.

http://priuschat.com/forums/knowled...g-lights-daylight-running-lights-drl-mod.html

7. CamPri

CamPri New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    CinciPrius:

How does the back cover of the relay enclosure come off? I don't want to break anything trying until I know the easiest way to get this back cover off.

CinciPrius: Never mind. I figured it out.

8. Tony Brearley

Tony Brearley New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have just installed the DRL-1 module from Web Electric, and it works fine - EXCEPT -when the Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) starts, about 7 seconds after I press the power button, the DRLs (i.e. both flashers) turn off. For the first 7 seconds both flashers are on (takes a second or so to come on though), and the flashers work, and the DRL (i.e both flashers) turn off if the side lights or headlights are turned on - which is what is supposed to happen.

Any ideas what the problem is please? I am suspicious aboth the 12V ignition voltage picked up from the purple lead on the relay panel - it measures 13.6V and goes up to 13.9 when the ICE comes on! I would have expected this to be about 12.6V.

If I cannot get this to work, I am looking at about $400 to get Canadian Tire or the Toyota dealer to install DRL!! (Correction - this turned out to be $135 labour and $35 parts at Canadian Tire). Canadian Tire use two different modules - one of which will not work on the prius - they had to use one which uses the low beams rather than the flashers - which uses more power!)

FOLLOW-UP: I have received an e-mail from Web Electric (the DRL module manufacturer) to the effect that "yes, they are having a problem with this module, but only on the Prius!!! " You are warned!! I wish I had been.

FOLLOW-UP June 9th, 2008 - I have heard from Web Electric that their DRL-1 module now works on the Prius. They are sending me a replacement and I will let you know how it works out.

9. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    isn't anyone worried about heat? i would change out to LED bulbs before you do this... just my .02

10. CinciPrius

CinciPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've benn using the module for almost three years with problems including heat.

11. CinciPrius

CinciPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    folks,

WebElectric Products has been seeing some problems with the turn signal DRL module for the Prius. They have a couple customers who cannot get the module to work on their 2007 and 2008 cars. They have followed my installation instructions but still have problems.

There's something different about the module, the car or both and they don't have a good way to troubleshoot this issue.

Is there is anyone in Northeast OH who would be willing to bring a car to them for testing? Assuming they can get to the bottom of this, the person who helps will get to keep the module.

If you are willing to do this, please email Lawrence at:

[email protected]

Thanks,
    Alan

12. ZC1

ZC1 Junior Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I think you guys missed one small point.
    The butt connectors you used near the headlights were open ended, meaning moisture will get in as easy as you breathe, which will eventually cause corrosion resulting in increased resistance, if not more problems.
    Best bet, next time slide an appropriate size of tube shrink wrap on each wire, make your connections, slide the shrink wrap over the connector ends and heat them closed.

ZC1

13. wyatt9696

wyatt9696 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hi all, 1st post here. I'm thinking of doing this mod. does anyone know if there are still probs using this module on a 2008 Prius. I have pkg #5 if that makes a difference. Another question(s) pertaining to this: do you have to be a rocket scientist to be able to install this, and about how long of a job(timewise) is it? any help would be appreciated. Great info in these forums BTW. thanks all.

14. chascook

chascook New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Wondering what problems you've had besides heat?
    And what can be done about the heat?

15. eddie27970

eddie27970 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    CinciPrius, you saying you have heat problems from this kit? Was interested in daytime front turn signals being on till I read your post. But you said you'd been using for 3-years...with a heat problem? Or was this a "typo" Would make more sense if using for 3-years "without" heat problem.

16. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just finished installing the BLP-1 Brake Light Pulser,, and their OTS-1P One Touch Module. Both installed rather easy. The Brake Light Pulser kit works very well, so far! The One Touch unit I had an initial problem with it. It would stop working after 2 uses. I then remembered that I never really programed the unit. I set it for 7 flashes. After all, you need all the LUCK you can get when you do a lane change in SoCal!!! Since programming, the unit has worked as promised. I would recommend these guys!!!

Hee's the URL..

WebElectric Products - Sequential Turn Signals, 2005 2006 2007 2008 Sequential Taillights, Sequential Tail Lights, Dynamite Stick Sequential, Pulsing Brake Light Pulser Flasher, One Touch Convertible Top, Dynamite Stick, One Touch Turn Signals, Dayti

17. Gkui

Gkui New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Here mine

Led strip, just finish installation,