1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Turn signal relay replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by katiesdad7, Feb 14, 2013.

1. katiesdad7

katiesdad7 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have LED bulbs for the rear turn signals but will need to replace the relay so I don't get the fast blink. WHere is the dam thing and how do you get to it to replace it?

Thanks.

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    :)

Oh joy, you are in for some fun. It is right above the brake pedal in the dash. There is a thread around here with some general instructions. It is a tough job.

3. Cristino

Cristino Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    In my previous car I wired a 8 ohm, 20W wirewound resistor in parallel with the LED bulb (one for each side). It was around $2.00 from RatShack. Some places call them 'equalizer loads' and sell for 5X.

4. zhutton

zhutton Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I went Cristino's way, cheap and effective

5. lapd

lapd New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I jusst completed replace LED signal relay and LED light bulb on my prius 2012. here are the materials and steps:

I/ Materials:
    1. Prius 2012 turn signal relay type: CF18-08 8 PIN Toyota Lexus LED relay turn signal flasher, 12V 150W LED Flasher Relay (X1)
    2. Prius 2012 turn signal light bulb type: 7440 LED (X4)

II/ Remove and replace with location:
    1. Remove the Prius signal light bulb by turn and pull the light bulb. The front signal need to remove the liner underneath the signal light and in front of the front wheel. The rear light bulb is EZ to locate.
    2. Locate the relay:
    a. Remove driver door silk, remove the bottom leg cover
    b. unscrew the screw and spy the cover that hold hood opener.
    c. Locate the white plastic electric box, unscrew 2 bots(10mm) and lose the box on the side.
    d. Look up to the top, turn the signal on, you will hear the signal sound and you could see the green relay with adapter and wire attached. Touch your hand to the relay you could felt the glitch.
    e. I can’t remove the whole relay but I just remove the adapter by squeeze the lock and pull it straight down.
    f. Plug the LED rely in and place the relay under the old one. Make sure give it support and tape it to make sure it not lose while driving.
    g. Test signal and close everything.

peterjmc likes this.