1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Turn Signal "volume"

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ericbecky, Apr 19, 2007.

1. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    O.k. everyone, here's a situation that I'm wondering if you can solve.

Is there a way to increase the volume of the turn signal "ticker". Why? An older driver told me that he has trouble hearing the noise and sometimes when a shallow turn is made the signal doesn't automatically cancel. Thefore the signal gets left on, even when the driver did not want it on.

Yes, yes, there is the visual dash signal, but I'm sure we've all missed that inadvertently at one time or another. So cut us some slack here, o.k?

Seriously, does anyone know a way to make it louder?

2. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ericbecky @ Apr 19 2007, 11:57 AM) [snapback]426194[/snapback]</div>
    The noise you hear is probably the flasher relay, not really designed as an audible "beeper". Every car I've had sounds the same, some louder than others. I don't recall ever driving with my blinkers on without hearing the sound. It probably depends where the flasher is located, by how loud it is. I always hear mine in the Prius, though I never thought about it till now. If you use the lane change feature for small direction changes (just hold the lever against the stop before engaging it), and use it normally for full turns, it should cancel automatically. I suppose you could put some kind of buzzer inline with the flasher circuit.

Usually less noise in a car is what people want, not more. There is a famous Rolls Royce story about the guy bragging that his Rolls is so quiet that he could hear the clock ticking, and the Rolls rep replied that they were sorry, and were working on a quieter clock mechanism.

3. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Once upon a time you needed quieter replacement relays due to OEM ones being loud.

If there's a replacement-parts list maybe the existing relay can be swapped for something noisier...

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  5. lenjack

lenjack Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I had the same probleem, solved by 2 hearing aids. Get a hearing test.

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lenjack @ Apr 19 2007, 06:14 PM) [snapback]426336[/snapback]</div>
    Or remove that 1000 W stereo and sub woofer. :D

Tom