1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Turncoat!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ekpolk, Aug 31, 2008.

1. ekpolk

ekpolk What could possibly...

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    Have to admit -- that's what I've just become. Though I completely enjoyed my Prius for well over two years, I just replaced it! All is not lost, however. First, its replacement is an 09 Camry Hybrid. I found it "used" at the local dealership. After only 5k miles, and less than two months, its original owner decided he just had to go back to a full-size truck!!! I got her for almost $4k less than the original $29k sticker (near-loaded, but no roof or nav). Here she is:[​IMG]

Since I have no nav, I'm having energy screen withdrawal, and having to make do with the little playing card sized display, there down in the speedo. Little energy arrows flow as they do on the Prius screen, and an engine icon appears when the ICE lights up. [​IMG]

So far, it's a really nice car. As expected, I average about 10 mpg less than I did in the Prius, but I'm getting better. Similar driving technique applies, with adjustments. You can feel, and use the car's greater mass. The ICE is more eager to light off, but once you get into a good stealth run, the TCH will hold it longer than the Prius (my imprecise observations).

And the other piece of good news: the Prius is still with us -- my college kid son is buying it on the extended "Bank of Dad" plan. :rolleyes:

Any suggestions on how to drive this car efficiently are most welcome. I realize that most Prius techniques work, but as I mentioned, it's clear that the TCH needs its own refinements.

2. ekpolk

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    A Specific Question I forgot to ask...

Meant to put it in the original post, but forgot...

Anyone know if the TCH has the hot coolant reservoir like the Prius? I've looked over what's visible under the hood, and I can't see it, if it's there. It's not exactly obvious in the Prius, but you can find it if you know what to look for. If it's in the Camry, I haven't found it.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Congratulations on your purchase, thanks for including a pic of the instrument cluster. If you can get mid-30s mpg, that is excellent for such a large vehicle.

I have a 2006 HiHy which also does not have nav; hence one must rely on the tiny display similar to the one in your speedo. At least you have a large instantaneous mpg gauge to the left. With HiHy, I have to cycle through various screens on the tiny display to switch between outside temp, instantaneous mpg, and the power flows.

Instead of the large mpg gauge that your CamHy has, HiHy has a "Power" gauge that shows instantaneous power output (up to 200 kw) and also shows negative power output when regen braking is in effect.

4. Bohous

Bohous New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Color me jealous. It's beautiful. I love the HyCam and would make that trade in a second if the wife didn't like the Prius so much. Well, that and trading up doesn't make financial sense right now since we just paid off the Prius. Congrats and enjoy your ride!

5. kazots

kazots LifesaBeach

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    My brother-in-law had a Prius, and now has a Hybrid Camry. He really enjoys the size and millage. Good choice!

6. ekpolk

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    Here's another detail I'm sure all happy Prius owners will appreciate. Though I loved my Prius, and still do actually, I've always seen the car as embodying some degree of what I see as "Japanese Goofy-ness". Somehow, in some totally subjective sense, I've always seen the car as somehow including just a bit of the same spirit that gave life to the Japanese Godzilla movies of the 1950s and early 60s. For better or for worse, an essence that would never, ever come from Detroit, or anywhere else for that matter.

To the point. See those nice pretty blue halos around the speedometer and the mpg gauge in my picture, above? Nope, they're not there all the time. They actually increase in intensity as you improve your mpgs, and fade as you fail to do so! If you find yourself looking at just plain old black-and-white optitrons, you know you're in the dog house, mileagewise. One one level, it's a useful feature in that you can judge how well you're doing on this trip with just a glance. On the other hand, I'm afraid that I'm never, ever going to get over just how GOOFY this feature is.

I have great respect for the Japanese and their clever engineering, but I've come to realize that they'll just never get past their seemingly genetic ability to be GOOFY! Gotta love 'em (and their cars)...:der:

7. JHSmith

JHSmith 2020 Avalon Hybrid Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As far as fuel economy, I find that my '07 TCH gets 42 - 44 mpg at 60 - 65 mph. My overall rating is 37 - 40 mpg. (Mostly around town, some short trips and the hilly area I live in.)

Prius style thermos/reservoir: No.
    Also, while we're looking at differences: the EBH is installed on top of the ICE. Not sure of it's exact location, yet. I'll try to install one later this year.

More on the line of weirdness/Goofy-ness: Be sure to get your 5,000 oil change done on time! If you try to put it off, you'll get a RED triangle w/ exclamation mark in the center and MAINT RQD alert overriding where your trip mpg, temp, etc. are. If you're not expecting it, the alert can be a little disconcerting. :eek: (This is the ONLY thing that will cause MAINT RQD to appear.) To get an idea of what the alert would look like, open your trunk and drive a little. The MAINT RQD alert responds the SAME way.

On a side-note, suggest you slip over to Green Hybrid -- TCH .

Enjoy your Prius's bigger brother/cousin. :angel:

8. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i heard the dash cluster "rewards" you at shutdown if you get good mileage. a little light display and congratulations....

9. ekpolk

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    John:

Thanks for the good info. I need to get back on Greenhybrid. I've also re-activated my TIS subscription and have now gone over all the maintenance pubs for the TCH cooling system, and indeed, there appears to be no thermos. Oh well -- thought that was a neat feature.

======================================================

It does, two ways, in fact. If you do really well, it flashes "EXCELLENT!!" at the bottom of the "Eco Drive" display. Second, it does the glowing blue arcs, as I described above. Incredibly goofy, in my opinion, but there doesn't seem to be a way to set the arcs the way you want them and have them stay static.

10. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In an effort to reduce warmup exhaust emissions, Classic Prius had the special HCAC assembly upstream from the catalytic converter. Unfortunately the valve of that assembly was prone to sticking and corrosion when the vehicle was driven in areas where salt was applied to the road. 2G Prius eliminated the HCAC assembly in favor of the coolant heat recovery system including the thermos.

Since you have access to TIS, I am wondering if you could pls read the sections on Camry Hybrid engine controls to see what special features were implemented so that vehicle qualifies for AT-PZEV rating? It is quite possible that 3G Prius will follow suit.
    Thanks!

11. Tweev

Tweev New Member

The dash of the camry beats the Prius display hands down.

12. GT in PA

GT in PA New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I too have enjoyed our TCH as well as our Prius. On trips we have averaged up to 42mpg so far. The NAV and moonroof are some nice features. It is nice having the bars on the consumption screens saved every time you start the car and being able to compare the previous trip vice having them wiped out each time you power down the car.
    The only negative I have is not being able to have all of the controls on the steering wheel like on the Prius where on the TCH you have to punch tiny buttons around the MFD. (map, info)

13. JHSmith

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for reminding me:

Another MAJOR difference is dealing with the climate control.

EPOLK: As you know, in the Prius you can order temperature changes via Voice Command. In the TCH, since the Climate system is not interfaced with the Audio system (Radio, CD, Phone, etc), the climate control voice commands do not exist. :(

14. GT in PA

GT in PA New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    At least the climate control temp can be controlled from the steering wheel, drivers side if in dual zone, both sides if in single zone.
    You will be happy with your decision.

GT

15. ekpolk

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    It's funny that you say that. Despite over two years of fiddling with it, the voice command of ANYTHING in my Prius just never worked right. If I asked it to set a temperature, it would kindly inform me that it was resetting the destination to Timbuktu. If I asked it turn the audio off, it would do something with the AC. I do have what others have described as a deep husky voice, and in some settings, I have folks ask me to speak up so they can discern what I'm saying. I guess the car never got it. I had pretty much given up on the feature anyway... At least we do have temp control on the wheel in the TCH. The one button I really miss having on the wheel is RECICRULATE! I cycle that feature on and off frequently, and now I do have to stab at a button that's low on the dash, and over on the passenger side. That's about the only real annoyance I've noticed with the TCH so far, compared to the Prius.

16. JHSmith

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Notice I said Voice COMMAND, I didn't say it would OBEY. :pout:

The TCH does have another redeeming feature over the Prius: It remembers the preset Cruise Control after you stop at a stop sign. :whoo:

17. ekpolk

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    John:

Very true as to both. The car's voice command system was approximately as obedient as my teenage son... :frusty:

And that CC memory piece may sound small, but it's actually very nice. Interestingly, the operation of the CC offers a tantalizing clue about the car's programming. One of the questions I often consider is what would be the optimally efficient profile for accelerating from one speed to a higher one. When doing it manually, I typically use a moderate amount of throttle. When using CAN-View, I'd accel at about 2000 rpms. Anyway, in TCH, when you hit resume, the computer almost always gets on the gas resulting in the mpg needle pegging at precisely 15 mpg. I don't know if this is some sort of programmed in compromise, or if that really reflects the "best" rate of acceleration.

The more I drive the TCH and compare it to the Prius, the more questions I have (these really are fun cars, aren't they!). As much as I do like the TCH, I am now wondering whether Toyota really selected the optimum drivetrain for this car. As most of you know, it has the same 2.4L ICE as the regular gasser Camry, but modified to Atkinson cycle operation. Adding to that the motor-generators' thrust results in performance almost as good as the previous generation Camry V-6 when you get on it (the total hp output is about 10-15 ponies shy of of a 3.0L Gen-5 Camry when fed regular gas). This gives you a car that's larger (except for the trunk...) and zippier than a Prius, but one which gets roughly 10 mpgs less than a Prius.

Now, what if Toyota had built the TCH's driveline using the 1.8L I-4 from the Corolla/Matrix series? Sure, you'd give up some acceleration performance , but presumably, you'd get better fuel economy, which is the thing I'd suspect most Camry Hybrid buyers really want. Buyers in this segment taught Honda a painful lesson about the demand for "performance hybrids".

Sorry for the long ramble, but I'm curious to hear others' thoughts on this.

18. SPEEDEAMON

SPEEDEAMON Professional Car Nut

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Right-On EKPOLK, Since I was born in Japan, I can attest to the goofiness. The tendancy is the Japanese national character of not being able to leave things alone. That's why they come up with a good product but keep on adding totally unnecessary features like we really need our cameras to speak to us.

If you think your glowing trim rings are goofy, wait till you experience the NAV system currently in Japan. You go down the road, and a 3D vision of not just the road but surrounding buildings are displayed. You touch the building and all the tenants are listed. Touch the tenant name and the contacts are listed.

Say you see an attractive restaurant. Touch that image and the menu is listed as well as contact. Say you see a store, touch that and the inventory is listed. Plus, now you can really homelink to cameras inside your house to check what your kids or pets are up to.

Of course you would have rear ended the car in front of you by now.

19. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Ek...,

I think this is a loss for Pensacola. What other town can keep teenaged inexperienced stereotypers in line as fast as you in your dress greens and fighter pilot wings stepping out of a blacked-out Prius at a gas station ?