1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Turning car on 8x/day for work

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Julesriez98, Jan 29, 2024.

1. Julesriez98

Julesriez98 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have a 2015 plug in Prius with 167k miles on it from a Lexus dealership. My warranty with them ends in November 2024. I got the car in November 2022 with 159k miles on it.

I drive a lot for work since the past 2 weeks and noticed when I coast (under 10 mph) I hear what sounds like a squeaking sound in the back of the car, and when I brake (just before the car stops) the squeak gets loud and goes away reallly quickly. But as I drive faster then 10mph, it goes away.

I also wanted to know if turning the car on and off 8x/day is bad for the car at all?

I am seriously considering moving up to a used 2023 from a dealer and be covered for 8-10 years and get those 44 EV miles haha

Any help would be super appreciated

Thank you

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yeah that might be a smart move for you get the 2023 and see what happens with that because the engine you're driving right now isn't really worth a poop as far as I'm concerned but I'm not much of anybody so doesn't really matter The Gen 3 far as I'm concerned it's not the Toyota that I've been sitting in for the last 44 45 years In my eyes anything after 2009 is very well construed to be planned obsolescence so Toyota going forward from 09 is not Toyota that we've dealt with all our lives so going forward we will be very skeptical of Toyota USA. That's why we generally stay 2009 and below I have Corollas that have lasted for well we won't get into that here It's not important.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Can’t help with the squeak (brakes?)

doesn’t matter how often you start and stop it.
    Never a bad idea to trade up to a newer car, especially with the known gen 3 issues

4. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The best way to get an idea of what causing the squeaking noise is to remove a wheel and inspect the brakes.
    In my experience, I've had both a rubbing sound and more recently a squeaking sound much like you describe.
    The squeaking could be something as simple as the pad shim grease or it could also warn pads, as a couple of ideas to look for. It's also good to know if your car has OEM brake hardware or aftermarket brake parts. Either is OK but OEM brakes will squeak for different reasons than aftermarket brakes will due to shim configuration being different.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Look into EGR cleaning, it's definitely overdue, and leads to head gasket failure. See first two links in my signature. (on a phone turn it landscape to see signature)