1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Turning off hybrid system

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Ryan Bennett, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Ryan Bennett

Ryan Bennett Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    OK, I know this is probably searchable. I'm fairly capable of performing a basic thread search, but no results are coming up.

Maybe you guys can enlighten me. Paste a link to a previous thread?

I'm a fairly new Prius owner (3-4 months). I have the Bentley manual. I'm getting ready to do my first oil change, which looks to be very easy.

Bentley says you should disable the hybrid system before performing just about any kind of maintenance (including oil changes). I do have a smart key and I know how to disable it. In my mind, doing that is enough. I thinking that if I disable the smart key, then turning off the hybrid system is a little overkill for an oil change, but maybe I'm wrong. Bentley describes how to turn of the hybrid system, but for the life of me, I can't get it to turn off.

Newbie stuff, for sure. But I'm learning, and thanks for being patient with me. :)

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    probably not necessary, but you could disconnect the 12v negative if you want to.

Ryan Bennett and HaroldW like this.
  3. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    simply turn the car off. there really isn't much more to disable then the car being off. the only reasons you would want to go a step further is because you were changing the brake pads or doing some sort of coolant change. for the brakes, it's activated by opening the drivers door so you leave it shut.. or better yet, disconnect the 12v. for the coolant, it's also activated in a similar manner yet usually is only activated when the car is on (pumping of the thermos bottles)... same scenario, disconnect 12v.

(i could be recalling the early activation of these systems wrong... shrug... over-thinking things... it's been a while since i've re-read the data)

all in all, just turn the car off.

Ryan Bennett likes this.
  4. Ryan Bennett

Ryan Bennett Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Right. My thinking too. I think Bentley must put that before every repair procedure due to a theoretical liability issue. I suppose it *is possible that the car could magically turn on with a smart key. But very highly unlikely. I think if I just disable the smart key and engage the park brake, I'll be just fine.

5. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    There is nothing to worry about with changing the oil. Just turn the car off and make sure not to turn it on when there is no oil!

6. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Just don't jump and hit your head when the car decides it's time to turn something on ;)