1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Turning Off the Prius to Place it in Park

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jpmyers, Apr 23, 2007.

1. jpmyers

jpmyers New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Okay, this might be a stupid question, but here I go:

After stopping the Prius at your final destination and you are ready to turn off the engine, is it okay to simply press the power button with your foot still on the brake or do you have to push the "park" button first, then the "power" button?

I know, you guys are saying, "What a lazy bum....." I've tried it once. If you just press the "power" button, the "park" button lights up and the car shuts down. It seems to be okay.

So, it does work. I guess my final questions would be:

In doing this, does it damage the engine or the electronics? Does anyone out there shut off their Prius without first placing it in park?

Thanks in advance for any input that you may have.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, most of us just hit the power button without using the park button. some here feel that's a bad habit, most disagree and do it that way rarely using the park button at all.

3. kimgh

kimgh Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Apr 23 2007, 07:15 PM) [snapback]428775[/snapback]</div>
    Whichever way you do it, it won't hurt the car.

4. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm one of the kooks who likes to hit "park" and then "power." On more than one occasion I've hit "power" and then gotten out and tried to lock the door, only to get the 3 beeps, "power is still on" warning.

It's easy to not push power all the way in, and after a few hundred times you'll stop looking at the pretty lighted buttons and just get out of the car quickly. Then one time you'll have the bad luck of forgetting the parking brake, missing the power button, and having your car run itself into a wall, or into traffic. It's happened to people here!

Not that I'm trying to be alarmist or anything. You really can get away with just pushing "power." I just like to train myself to never get out until I hit brake-park-power. It is a fairly expensive and somewhat dangerous machine, after all, so it's worth a little extra caution, and that caution costs all of 0.5 seconds.

5. douglas001001

douglas001001 smug doug

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Doesn't everyone hit park so they can take their foot off the brake while they write down their fuel consumption stats for the day before powering off?

Michael Loveroot likes this.
  6. Mr07touring

Mr07touring New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(douglas001001 @ Apr 23 2007, 09:32 PM) [snapback]428790[/snapback]</div>
    And cycle thru all the trip data on your new Scangage II.

Michael Loveroot likes this.
  7. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ichabod @ Apr 23 2007, 06:24 PM) [snapback]428785[/snapback]</div>
    I always hit the park button first myself. I've gotten out a number of times to hear the beeps and have to open the door to complete the power down.

OTOH, my wife just pushes the power button.

Dave M.

8. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(prius1969 @ Apr 23 2007, 09:00 PM) [snapback]428762[/snapback]</div>
    I vote for bad habit. Improper shut down procedure will bite you in the butt sooner or later. That said, leaving the car in gear and hitting the power button will not damage anything. The car will automatically shift to PARK. The problem will come when you THINK you hit the power button.

9. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I just hit "Power", unless I'm listening to the last bit of a report on All Things Considered sitting in my driveway; then I hit Park, wait for the report to finish, then hit Power.

10. AJMasterson

AJMasterson New Member

I always hit the park button AND engage the foot parking brake...

11. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(douglas001001 @ Apr 23 2007, 07:32 PM) [snapback]428790[/snapback]</div>
    :D :D :D

I agree it's a better habit to get into to use the Park button. But I never do, unless I'm stopping the car for a while but want to leave it on. And I always look at the dash for the lights to go out before I leave the car.

12. dspguy

dspguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Actually, I like to use the power button to shut it off with out taking it out of gear. That way, when I drive another car I forget to take the car out of drive and just sit there going why can't I turn the key off. :p Makes other cars seem even more lame.

13. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I always park before turning it off. In a conventional automatic car, don't we always put the gear to "P" before turning off the car? It probably doesn't really matter, but like someone said, it only takes half a second to do it.

14. just_marci

just_marci New Member

I almost always put it in park first, but have forgotten a couple of times. It's good to know that I'm not damaging anything by being a dip.

:rolleyes:

15. bogeybob513

bogeybob513 rtc513

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(prius1969 @ Apr 23 2007, 10:00 PM) [snapback]428762[/snapback]</div>
    I believe the manual tells you to always hit PARK and Power when shutting down. I believe that you can run down the 12Volt battery if you don't.

16. Trevor

Trevor Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Either way it's ok as long as you make sure that the power is actually off before getting out of the car. I think the method that you use depends on how well you know yourself. If you know that you can get distracted or are prone to be forgetful, then hit the park button first so that you will have an extra help to keep you from disaster. If you are 100% certain that you will make sure that the car is off each and every single time that you get out of it then just hit the power.

I only use the power button. If you always have the radio on, then you can use that as an audio cue that the car did turn off. I always check the dashboard lights.

17. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bb513 @ Apr 25 2007, 08:41 AM) [snapback]429684[/snapback]</div>
    Not sure exactly what the OM says, but it will not run down the 12v....the car visibly goes into park then powers down when you hit the Power button.

18. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bb513 @ Apr 25 2007, 09:41 AM) [snapback]429684[/snapback]</div>
    The manual does suggest that you hit "Park," as do I, but there's really nothing wrong with not hitting "park" because it's automatically engaged when you hit "power." There's no "in gear" state for the Prius because there's only a single fixed gear ratio, and no transmission. "Park" is only slightly different than the other electronic drive modes in that a mechanical parking pawl engages to stop the wheels from moving.

Always use the parking brake though, even if you don't hit "park."

19. Highly ImPriused

Highly ImPriused Impressive Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ichabod @ Apr 25 2007, 10:18 AM) [snapback]429699[/snapback]</div>
    Even on flat terrain? Why?

Knowing me, I'd forget to disengage the parking brake half the time before starting again and wear it out.

20. RobertG

RobertG New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Highly ImPriused @ Apr 25 2007, 09:02 AM) [snapback]429817[/snapback]</div>
    Well, in some parts of the country, the ground may start moving. The car will tend to stay put if the parking brake is on.

I try to make certain there are no red lights on the dash before I drive off. With some cars it is less apparent that the parking brake is still on.