1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Turning to greener wheels

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by jkash, Jan 19, 2007.

1. jkash

jkash Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Turning to greener wheels

With Nuñez at the forefront, more state legislators choose hybrids as official vehicles. They're statement cars now, an image consultant says.

SACRAMENTO — If you are what you drive, California lawmakers are a newly green bunch.

They're swapping gas-sucking sport utility vehicles for gas-sipping hybrids as their official state cars.

Now that the lease on his Ford Explorer has expired, Assembly Speaker Fabian Nuñez (D-Los Angeles) is driving a Toyota Prius. At least 38 of his fellow members also have chosen hybrids; only 10 have requested nonhybrid SUVs as their taxpayer-subsidized wheels.

That's a transformation since 2002, when a single member drove a hybrid and 33 had SUVs.

Read more.

2. ml194152

ml194152 Member

The mayor of Houston drives a black 2004 Prius, and he has ordered the city to start buying Prii for their use. I see a lot of city inspectors driving white Prii nowadays here in Houston. :)

3. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    As I tax payer I applaud this effort. The money saved in gas can be used to help cities. For most official city work a Prius should be fine, for the others I would recommend a Escape Hybrid and if not it "should" be a truck or van.

4. Earthling

Earthling New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    When I drive a company car, most of the time I use no gasoline at all. That's because the organization I work for has a large fleet of Honda Civic GX's, which are powered by natural gas, and are rated the cleanest of all cars.

There are also some natural gas-powered pickup trucks in the fleet.

Harry

5. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Correa admits he's so cheap that as an Orange County supervisor he used Wite-Out over his predecessor's name on envelopes to avoid having to buy new ones. His hand-me-down Prius, he said, "has a couple of dings. But you can't really tell unless you look for them.

I do this too!