1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

TV remote control -- two of them work -- then they don't

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Stevewoods, Mar 29, 2018.

1. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have seen some strange questions here, so here is another one.

I have an LCD Sharp TV -- Maybe eight or nine years old (could be longer???)

The original remote has slowly began to lose function -- the on/off button does not work anymore and a couple of other buttons have issues, but mostly it works well enough.

Late last night, the original remote quit working altogether -- changed batteries -- no luck.

Dug out an old universal remote, programmed it and it worked for a bit and then quit. Reprogrammed, worked for a bit and then quit.

Meanwhile found instructions on "re-flashing" old remote online and it started working again (unplug tv, remove batteries from remote, push all buttons, replace batteries, plug in TV).

Both have been working since last night. Then, this afternoon, was just using both of them interchangeably a few moments ago and then BOTH of them quit working.

Cursing and pushing buttons, after some 30 or so seconds, both of them started working again with no other effort.

Ghosts?

I could buy a new TV, I guess, but with two kids in college and some other household expenses that have come up, would really prefer not to try.

Any ideas? I did unplug and let sit the TV for about 20 minutes last night before I did anything else.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The volume control on one of our remotes goes from functioning to flakey every so often. I've been cleaning the contacts on the circuit board with isopropyl alcohol, with soso outcomes. More recently I tried CRC MAF Sensor cleaner (on a q-tip), with much better results. Still eventually starts to get slightly flakey, but took a long time.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    fortunately, i have a remote from comcast, so i rarely need the oem. of course, that comes at a cost.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    There are electronics cleaners, but the contacts on the silicon buttons do wear off with use.

5. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Have you cleaned the battery contacts?

6. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Sounds like you've troubleshot the transmitter end by trying different remotes that worked (if intermittently) so that leads me to the receiver end (TV) of the electronic communication equation. Other than a hard reboot, which you did, the only thing I can think of is to see if there is a firmware update for that TV (probably no longer supported). Then replacing hard parts after that.

Another part of me says, that's enough reason to justify getting a new 4K big screen! :D

RCO likes this.
  7. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As a Television Engineer, I have found that this is a common problem... it;s the remote, you don't need to reboot, twirl, or stand on your head, just fix the remote, or purchase a replacement!

While cleaning the contacts with some isopropyl is a start, what happens in the conductive pad on the backside of the little push buttons is wearing/worn off. I have dealt with this annoying problem quite often. What you need is a cleaning and re-coating kit to refurbish the buttons. It always starts with the most often used button first. That figures!! Amazon has kits, take your pick... I like...

MG Chemicals 8339 Rubber Keypad Repair Kit (Repairs Remote Controls)

Cut & paste the bold black URL into the search function at Amazon, you will jump to the kit that I have used!!

EDIT, not URL, but product description, also, I tried to post the URL to this Amazon page but it did not display. It used to work that way, not now I guess, so much simpler back when!!

#7 KK6PD, Mar 29, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
    RCO, bisco and Mendel Leisk like this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I like this a lot. (y)

9. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If two different remotes aren't working, might the problem be with the TV rather than the remote? Could the sensor be dying?

10. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You can test a remote control to see if it's giving any signals with a mobile phone - firstly point it to the camera:
    upload_2018-3-30_16-42-5.png

As you press various buttons, you'll see it light up (usually a flickering signal):
    upload_2018-3-30_16-42-52.png

It's easier with 2 people - but not impossible.

The TV will have a sensor somewhere - just check it isn't covered - eg by a taller chair than normally in front of it.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  11. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I see your TV is right year old, so it would be on the cusp of smartness. Does it have Wi-Fi? Can it be controlled through WiFi by an app on your phone?

Alternatively, does your phone have an IR blaster? If it has either of these things you could try downloading a phone app.

12. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    As Fotomoto mentioned, two remotes are both "stopping" and starting at the same time, which leads me to suspect the TV end also.

True, the universal I have is a cheap ($6) piece of junk, but for them both to stop and then start at the same time?

I tried wiping off the sensor area on the set, I guess I will try some 70 percent rubbing alcohol on the actual set, but not feeling confident.

I do not have a smart phone and the TV just missed being smart, also.

A company in Portland, Oregon sells replacement remotes online -- I think it is a one-man show. He has a page on how to reflash the remotes and also how to check to see if they throw out a signal.

I'd just buy one of his $30 replacements, if I was somewhat assured it would solve the problem.

13. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I'm thinking hard parts inside the TV are going (very common); whether it's a mainboard or not, I would think long and hard about just replacing the TV with a much better LED or OLED unit instead of throwing money at the "old" set. Yes, it's sad that 9 years is considered old and obsolete now.

RCO likes this.
  14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Often there are functions on the TV that are only adjustable through the remote. We've hit that wall once or twice.

RCO likes this.
  15. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well the connecting common thread is "old".
    9 year old TV, with original remote...then dug out an "old" universal remote.

Without investing into a whole new television, I think my first move would be to go buy a NEW universal remote.

Then at least you can narrow it down to NOT being the remote. OR...it will just work and problem solved.
    Also, not too expensive a move.

RCO and Mendel Leisk like this.
  16. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    My problem remote is for an Onkyo amp, with a number of fairly esoteric buttons, and just the volume acting up. Might try that electrical contact refurb solution, if cleaning fails to work.

17. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Cheaper - ask a friend, fiend or neighbour who has a smartphone to help you test if it's working first. Will take 30 seconds.

RCO likes this.
  18. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I have a 9 y/o Samsung where the remote crapped out. Typed the remote number onto the web, found it on ebay for cheap. It arrived new and has worked perfectly since - identical to the original remote, which I tossed.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  19. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Even cheaper - ask a neighbour to keep their living room curtain open and the TV turned up loud. Problem solved.

RCO, fotomoto and alanclarkeau like this.
  20. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I used to have neighbours who did that for the AFL grand-final. Fortunately only once a year. I just took the opportunity to play my piano louder without worrying it was disturbing neighbours.

hkmb likes this.