1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tweeter Location?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by ajc, Dec 15, 2009.

1. ajc

ajc Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Gen III
    I have the JBL system and I am going to replace the HU, and all speakers and the JBL amp.
    I am going to install components in the front door but I would like some input on the tweeter location. :confused:

2. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    They're located under the grills near the A pillars.

3. ajc

ajc Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I want input on where to place my new component tweeter, I think putting the tweeter in the A pillars are too far from the bottom of the door where the 6.5 speaker will go.

4. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I actually think the current location works pretty well, since they are facing up slightly towards the front seats, plus I imagine there's some sound bouncing off the windshield. Another option would be to place them high on the door panels.

5. venom700

venom700 Just call me Brian...

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It's my understanding that Tweeters don't bounce sound. If you replace the "squawkers" or however they are spelled in the front, you will need to put the tweeters on the A pillar. I put my rear tweeters in with my replacement 6.5's. You do know you will lose bluetooth and everything replacing the JBL amp right?

6. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Be aware that when replacing the JBL goodies - you'll lose the steering wheel integration on volume/tuning, etc (essentially the left touch-tracer button will be useless).

7. ajc

ajc Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes I do know that but I don't think keeping the JBL amp & HU will work well with new component speakers? The sound with the JBL system has the woofer way at the bottom of the door and the squawkers up in the front dash. If I place my new woofers in the front door and the tweeter where the squawkers were it would be too far from the woofer?? I was told that the components should not be no more than 18 inches from each other.
    Has anyone else replaced the entire JBL system wit an aftermarket system?

Question? Will I still have the steering wheel controls for my Trip/Disp & climate?

8. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My understanding is the tweeters' sound will bounce off a hard surface, such as a windshield. I've had several cars with tweeters that used this technique.

9. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Agreed - there are several posts on squaker location. If I was replacing / swapping, i'd look into a 3.5" mid/tweeter. It would take a slight amount of cutting, but you'd get great sound improvement.

Keep in mind, the door speaker must match the tweeter/squaker/mid. You'll need a crossover, and speakers with similar sensitivities...

There are a few posts on this - I know way back when, I took decent pics with a tape measure to show the space available. http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...ust-installed-new-nav-dvd-head-unit-pics.html has one pic...

A little cutting of the squaker area will be required - but a 3 - 3.5" should fit.

10. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Here's the post showing speaker location, removal and size.... Note, once the tweeter is out, there is gobs of depth...

Another alternative is to remove the tweeter, but use it as a bracket to mount your aftermarket tweeter to (cut out the squaker)...

11. MikeDS

MikeDS Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    High frequencies definitely bounce off hard surfaces. It is low frequencies that are non direction. Mostly sub 120hz. Tweeter location in the Prius is better than most cars. A small coaxial speaker would be ideal.

12. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    crossover frequency for squawker or can we just use tweeter?

I had never heard of a squawker before buying a prius.

Not even jbl seems to sell small midrange/tweeters. So this requires a 3.5" full range speaker in the front squawker location plus a component woofer in the front door. If I do that what crossover would I set to match the speakers. Can anyone suggest speakers that would be best in this configuration?

I was planning to put a component woofer in the front door, with its tweeter in the dash location, and a coaxial speaker from the same family in the rear doors. I have a non jbl system. If I do a mid/tweeter up front will it sound better.

I'm guessing that even with a new head unit and speakers and likely an amp, I still won't have enough base, so I'll likely do a steath install of a small powered subwoofer under a seat or above the spare. I'm not going to do the work until January, but would like speaker suggestions in case I see good sales before then.

13. ABL

ABL Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    yes

14. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You could opt for a mounting method that doesn't permanently modify the car.

My tweeters were way to large to go in the stock location and mounting them "hovering" above the midrange was not an option either so I just made some generic pods that sit in the small corner windows on the dash. They are close enough to the stock tweeter location and with a good head unit with digital time alignment you will have no issues with proper imaging. Lead vocals are dead center and floating at about the MFD level (2005 Prius). Some might consider it ugly but they work for me. The beauty is that nothing was permanently modified and there is no adhesive used to mount them. They just pressure fit in that location.

I realize you have a 2010 but a little imagination could make something similar work if you are in a bind with tweeter locations.

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...iamond-audio-midranges-installed-finally.html

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Here is the post with squakers removed, showing size of mount area. http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...onics/68491-front-dash-tweeter-removal-4.html

3.5" could be put in - the problems are:

You'll need to cut in the dash area (it could fit - just a lot of dremelling...)
    The plastic cover / speaker grill thingy has perforations for sound to come through - but only like a 2" circular area. I think this would be OK - because most 3.5" have the tweeter centered, and you'd have room for mids to come through.

I just bought the Infinity Reference components (6030cs). They're like $200 at Crutchfield, but they were $102 on Amazon (loving that next day air for $3.99 - but this only qualified for free shipping).

I think I'm going to *try* to mount them in the bottom of the A pillar, add an amp with a notch filter, and find a way to power *both* squaker, and tweeter - the idea being the squaker can fill a bit in the mid vocals up front, without competing with the tweeter)...