1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tweeter Replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by dgstan, Jul 13, 2005.

1. dgstan

dgstan Member

From what I understand (and please correct me if I'm wrong), replacing the tweeters in the Premium JBL system will improve the sound. I've already got a sub and am very happy with that. Now I'm ready to tackle the other end.

Again, from what I understand the front tweeters are 2cm (.787") in diameter and are rated 6 ohms.

What have people been using as a direct replacement for these buggers? I've searched and can't find anyone who mentions Manufacturers and P/Ns.

So what has been used and what sounds best? Also, do you use a 3/4" tweeter (I'm not sure there's such a thing as a 2cm version).

Finally, if you swapped out the tweeter, how did it sound? Was it worth it?

Thanks,

DGStan

HeadOfJarg likes this.
  2. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The size of the driver isn't nearly as important as the size of the enclosure that it sits in. Knowing that the tweeter is a 0.8" diameter driver is next to useless if you want to know what will fit in your car. What you need to know is that it's about 1-7/16" in diameter.

I got my second pair of Infiniti 6010cs component speakers today, and took off one rear door panels to see what additional wire and connectors I would need. I took the following pictures of the stock tweeter and mount, and of the Infinity tweeter sitting in the stock mount. The Infinity tweeter is a light friction fit in the mount - it will stay in place as long as it is not subjected to any shock. So I am thinking a little hot glue around the edge is enough to hold it in. Or you could wrap it with a couple layers of electrical tape to get a tighter friction fit.

Looks like I can only add three attachments per post?

3. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    More pictures. Rear speaker install should be a breeze thanks for Sparky and other contributors. I recommend you replace both the woofer and tweeters. The woofers are pretty horrid too - nowhere close to being as good as JBL's, or any other company's aftermarket speakers.

4. dgstan

dgstan Member

From the pictures, you're using the Infinity 1011T. Is there any concern regarding the impedance of the tweeter? The factory one is 6 ohm, but the 1011T is 4 ohm.

Are you replacing all the speakers with 4 ohms? What if I only wanted to do the tweeters and leave the other speakers alone? Would the impedance mismatch matter?

Thanks,

DGStan

5. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If you just replace the tweeter, what do you plan to use for a crossover? The stock tweeter has a capacitor in series with it, mounted on its back.

My recommendation is to replace both the woofer and tweeter with an aftermarket component speaker. For the rears, which receive a full-range signal, use the crossover that came with the component speakers.

The JBL woofer I pulled out of the back door has "2.6 ohm" printed on it. I would think that the Infinity speakers I'm installing are actually an easier load for the amp to drive. If you think that you need to match the impedence of the stock speaker for "maximum power transfer", I've got hot tip for you: the amp has an output impedence that is only a tiny fraction that of the speaker, and that is by design.

I'll post a picture of the JBL woofer from the rear. It's a real POS - stamped metal basket, paper cone. It's actually quite different than what came out of the front doors.

6. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Has anyone else noticed how bassy the stock radio is? I have to run the bass at -3 and treble at +3 for a decent sound..

7. keydiver

keydiver New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ Mar 28 2006, 07:50 PM) [snapback]231641[/snapback]</div>
    JBL sound system, or the midrange stereo system? The midrange in my Package 3 wasn't what I would call "bassy", it was muddy. The bass was very hollow or undefined, maybe what you could call "boomy". I upgraded to the Infinity component 60.7 speakers, which include the separate tweeter and a MUCH better midrange/woofer for the door. When you see what junky speakers they put in the standard sound system, you'll wonder why it doesn't sound even worse! :p
    Did I mention that I LOVE the 60.7/63.7 speaker upgrade? B)

8. tmorrowus

tmorrowus Member

The front tweeters for the JBL don't have capacitors... the crossover is in the JBL amp box. So they could be replaced. priusenvy makes a good point that you don't have to match impedance exactly. But you do need to match the output to prevent the treble from becoming too overbearing or too low. The output is affected by the impedance and the efficiency of the tweeter, and because efficiency ratings are widely bogus it would be hard to do this well on the basis of specs.

And note that you can't use the treble control to compensate... that is just a narrow band control.

See the following for measurements:

http://tom-morrow-land.com/tests/priusaudio/