1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

tweeter wires

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by PLPrius, Jun 15, 2008.

1. PLPrius

PLPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    First off, thanks for the other posts and the info you are giving me.

I'm going to swap out my speakers in the front and put in a pair of 6.5 Polk MOMO comps. As I look at the tweeter I notice that 4 wires go into the white box/ crossover on the back of the tweeter. The colors are Black, Purple,Yellow, Pink from left to right as you look at the face of the tweeter.

I'm starting to get the gist that two of the wires are coming from the stereo and are going to the crossover behind the tweeter. The tweeter then gets signal from the crossover and the other two wires head off to the woofer in the door?

God I hope I got that right.

I have looked at the wire schemas that you guys have posted and only get more confused. If my discription above is correct than can anyone tell me which wires do what.

My plan is to take the two wires from the stereo (which ever color they may be) and take them straight to the comps X-over. Then run speaker wire to the speakers.

I have even found the speaker replacement guides but they deal with the rear door, not the front, unless I cant find the one for the front.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

2. GeoGeek

GeoGeek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Although I don't recall the wire colors, I can say that you've got the right idea.
    Full range signal comes first to the tweeter...there a tiny capacitor filters out the low-end frequencies fed into the + tweeter terminal. The other two wires basically jump off from there (also full range by the way) and go down to the mid-bass driver in the door.
    I did exactly what you described, that is, take the input coming to the tweeter and use it as input for the components crossover...then I used the wires going down to the mid-bass to back-feed signal coming off the crossover up to the tweeter.
    Good Luck!

3. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry to dig this up again, but I'm really confused by the 4 colored wires leading to the tweeter. I really don't know which ones to use. Can anyone help?

NON JBL system

4. maseace

maseace Prius enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    On the left front door, the pink/purple (+/-) wires go to the tweeter, and the yellow/black (+/-) go to the woofer. The woofer wires are only connected when the tweeter is connected (woofer full-range signal passes through the tweeter connection). I recently installed Polk components in the front and rear, and had to jumper the purple to black and the pink to yellow, to be able to connect the crossovers to the woofer/tweeter. The factory tweeter connector is not used, only jumpered, with the Polk component speakers. Same for the right side - jumper light green to light green and blue to blue at the tweeter connector. The Polk tweeters connect directly to the crossovers, which connect to the factory woofer wires.