1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Twenty years? And I'm supposed to be impressed?

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by Godiva, Feb 16, 2008.

1. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    So I'm watching HGTV. I like HGTV. I watch a lot of it.

And they're doing Curb Appeal. And they're bragging about this new front door they're putting in that will resist moisture, rot, door to door salesmen, etc. for......20 years. Wow. 20 years. Are they kidding?

I've heard the same brag for new windows.

This is the main reason I haven't replaced th windows or front door or floors in my house. My home was built about 90 years ago and still has the original windows, doors and floor. The only doors that have been replaced are the back kitchen door and the people door to the detached garaqe. Both because of termite damage and rot. And the doors I replaced them with about 20 years ago? Well, I just got done replacing them again.

Since when did 20 years become the norm and something to brag about.

My house still has the original windows. They may not be energy efficient, but I also won't have to replace them every 20 years. And since I plan to be in my house another 40-50 years, this is important to me. I eventually won't be able to do my own home maintenance myself and I also won't have big bucks to hire something else to do it either. So replacing something every 20 years isn't exactly a selling point for me.

(I also have a 50+ year old gravity fed natural gas floor furnace that I'm told will last me another 50 years as long as I keep the pilot light lit and maintain it. So I see no reason to replace that either.)

I also question the environmental impact of having to constantly replace this sort of building material, even if only every 20 years. What kinds of chemicals are in those woods? Also. what about the plastic, aluminum, foam and other stuff being sandwiched in to those things. I don't think they get recycled. I think they go directly to a landfill.

20 years. This might have been impressive way back when a person's average lifespan was about 20-25 years. But with people approaching 100 now, replacing stuff every 20 years to me is a cruel joke.

2. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Godiva,

In your climate, the energy ef of the window is not such a big deal. If you lived in the great white north t would be a much bigger concern. Yes, saving energy is good, but consider what you might save in energy vs the energy in the conversion,,,I bet it would be a net loss to change.

Your furnace on the other hand should be considered for replacement. Even though in your climate you don't use it very often, it is a true energy hog. I would guess the AFE (annual fuel efficeincy is ~50% of that. Take the standing pilot going 24/7, as well as the basic efficiency of burner and it is terrible. In addition a newer controlled combustion furnace or Rinnai space heater will put out way fewer emissions as well as fewer greenhouse gasses. While furnaces aren't cheap, they aren't real expensive either.

Just a thought,

Icarus

3. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If I lived in the great north I would have ripped the siding off of my house and put in insulation, wrapped it, etc. And yes, probably replaced the glass at least even if I kept the windows. Probably convert them all to tilt sashes to do away with the sash pockets. Luckily I don't have to do that.

The furnace is under the house. It is a huge box in the crawlspace with holes in the floor on both sides of the wall separating the dining room and the original bedroom. It is controlled by a thermopile generator wired to a programmable thermostat, hence if I have no power (which has happened) I still have heat because the thermostat is not reliant on the power to the house to work; it is controlled by the small current the thermopile generator provides. Thus the pilot is always on, but also to make sure the box doesn't rust.

My vintage kitchen stove also has a standing pilot.

My old natural gas water heater used to provide me with hot water during blackouts. No more as I now have a tankless that is reliant on home power. So no more hot baths by candlelight waiting for the power to come back on.

I haven't switched my phone service to the cable company for the same reason. If there's a blackout I would have no phone. As is, the phone works fine even if I have no power.

Rolling blackouts have happened more frequently along with the occasional maintenance outage or drunken doofus hitting a power pole.

I don't want to pay to replace a furnace every 20 years. I don't want my only source of heat to be dependent on whether I have electricity or not. I also don't see anything I replace it with being cost effective for what it will cost me to replace it. For the thousands of dollars it would cost me, I can pay to keep the pilot on yearround. I don't have ductwork. I don't have forced air. That would be an added expense for the "new" furnace. Plus it will need to be hooked into the electrical system of the house and will draw electricity.

Yes, I live in a mild climate and so can keep my original windows. I certainly can't justify replacing them with crap that is going to rot and have to be replaced every 20 years. Windows are something that should last the lifetime of the house. So should doors.

I think we accept built in obsolescence without objection or question way too much. I do not consider 20 years to be an acceptable lifespan for a door or window. I think people think that's great because they just don't know any better.

My refrigerator is maybe 6 years old. One of the PV salesmen suggested I get rid of it and replace it with a new one. That's a $1,000+ appliance. It was energy efficient when I bought it. Just because they've improved refrigerator technology a bit since then doesn't justify going out and spending another $1,000+ to replace a refrigerator that isn't that old. Sorry but I expect to get more than 6 years of service for such a big investment. Same for my washer and dryer. My vintage stove is over 50 years old and works perfectly. So does the furnace; I only have to replace the thermopile coupler occasionally. This last time also the gas feed to the pilot. No big deal. The programmable thermostat and insulation in the attic have saved plenty on the utility bills. Vintage appliances in good working order are in demand because they were built to last and are still better than anything you can buy "new". I could sell my mixer or my sewing machine now almost for what they cost new when I bought them.

20 years? If I had to replace my doors or windows every 20 years I'd consider them "disposable". I don't buy disposable.

Nope. Not replacing the furnace.

4. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I think Godiva's floor furnace is similar to the one in my Dad's house. It is not fan forced, it depends on convection currents to move the air. Don't even think of replacing it; it will literally last forever and as you noted, will work even with the main power out. My dad was able to keep warm when his power was out for 24 hrs last month.

On the other hand, last year we had to replace our 22 yr old HVAC. We bought the most efficient one that we could find, but even with $1500 in rebates it cost about $8k to replace it.

5. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Newer isn't necessarily better.

When they quote you for replacing a furnace they start with the cost of the unit. Then it seems you need other stuff. Then of course there's labor. Generally double whatever the parts cost. Ooops. Forgot removing the old unit. That will cost you more labor. Oh, you'll probably have to pay to have it hauled off. And likely there's some sort of toxic waste fee as well. By the time you're finished you're multiple thousands of dollars in the hole to replace something that wasn't broke to begin with.

And if your new furnace only lasts 20 years.....tough. Do it again. And again. And again.

I was told my old workhorse will outlive me. I can live with that.

6. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Sorta depends on where NG prices are headed. Furnaces, esp small ones, aren't that expensive. You could probably get one that works for your house for $2500 installed. The bottom of the barrel ones will be 50% more efficient than what you've got, assuming yours is about 50% efficient. It really all depends on how much NG you're using.

Too bad FSHagen isn't around much anymore, he'd probably have some good insights.

7. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree with Godiva.

I've been in buildings that were either built or remodeled between 10 and 20 years ago, and the large double-paned windows have moisture in them, making them look terrible. Short term thinking/planning.

We did replace all our windows when we remodeled our house, 8 years ago, but the existing windows had some serious issues, like glass cracked, sills rotted, etc. We have the vinyl framed windows, and so far, so good.

When we replaced appliances, we bought mostly Maytag (DH won't recommend them, now, since Maytag was bought out by another company, and the quality appears to have dropped off a bit), with the expectation that they would last at least 10-20 years, each. So far, so good.

We also put in no pile, commercial grade carpet, which looks about the same as it did, day one. It could stand a cleaning, but it isn't worn anywhere (7 years old).

Our heat situation is the only thing that I really don't care for. In this area, having "zone heat", using in-wall electric heaters, is the norm. Any other heating method would have cost a lot more, to install ductwork, etc. On the bright side, every year our electric costs go down, as we get better at conservation. We are at $88 a month (all electric house, don't have gas) now, which is about a third of what the cost was, 9 years ago.

It would be nice if things were built to last, though.

8. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    But have your windows and doors been repainted in that 90 years?

I think the new windows and doors are saying they protect for at least 20 years without any maintenance.

9. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Ummm, no. I read replaced every twenty years when I was doing research on mine.

I repaint, maintain, etc my windows on a regular basis. I know how to reglaze the glass and I paint linseed oil on the wood prior to reglazing. I have double hung with sash weights and all of them open and close; both top and bottom windows. None are rotten or have any issues.

Every time I have my house appraised notes say that despite the age of my home it is equivalent to a 35 year home due to upkeep of maintenance.

I can live with that.

10. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    We just replaced two of our old oil fired furnaces with high efficiency NG ones. The old ones still worked, but given their age, type of fuel, and lack of efficiency, it made sense to switch. When we put them in 35 years ago there was no NG in the area.

Tom

11. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    At some point decades into the future I may put in electric heat and just add more PV to the roof. I could probably just disconnect the furnace and floor over the vent rather than have it all removed.

Same will eventually happen to the tankless water heater, dryer and stove. When they die I'll look at NG prices versus electricity. If I can go electric and just add some PV and still be cost effective I may do that. My converter can handle 4-6 more panels and I still have roof space left on the house. I haven't even started on the garage.

But right now...it's not.

12. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Your post is good timing. I returned around 2 hours ago from my business trip to a raging blizzard. Apparently, while I was gone, we had lows of -37 C. Also heard that on Saturday there was an unusual warm spell and freezing rain. Ah, what I miss while away!

Do you ever watch Mike Holmes on HGTV - Holmes on Homes? He will agree with you that the homes built a long time ago had real CRAFTSMANSHIP. He gets quite riled up that a new pricey home is quite literally a piece of crap

As long as you maintain older homes, especialy the roof, and keep rot from destroying the windows, then you can get a lot of life out of them. Also keep in mind that San Diego is a relatively gentle climate for a home, compared to say Winnipeg, MB

At one time up here, it was quite common to put up "Storm windows" for winter, sometimes they were called Winter Windows. They were in essence an extra window that was hooked to the outside of the regular window. The regular window was recessed about halfway into the wall, so with the storm windows on they were flush with the exterior siding

Homes here also had porches that functioned like an airlock, so when it was -40 the interior door didn't have ice buildup or nasty drafts. The doors also had - you guessed it - Storm Doors that had removable glass panels for summer ventilation

In this climate, it's rare to get more than 20 years out of windows. A window made from wood will simply rot away due to the condensation from extreme climate changes: -40 in winter, +40 C in summer

The primary cost up here is heating in winter. A furnace like you describe would cost so much to run up here, that after 3-4 years it would be cheaper to put in a new high eff furnace.

As an example, early last fall I sold my condo in the city and purchased a very well built 1,400 sq ft house in an outlying community. The home had been owned by a HVAC installer, and he had a premium Bryant system

When I compare my gas bills to my neighbors, with standard eff furnaces, theirs are about twice as high as mine. And I'm also heating my garage too!

Given your climate, you will do fine just to keep your house as-is and pay attention to the maintenance. In a climate like mine, it takes a lot more effort to keep the house maintained

Whoops, forget about driving out to the hobby farm. Roads are closed, travel not advised.

13. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks.

Location and climate do have a lot to do with it.

Maintenance is everything. My problems have more to do with heat than with cold. Everyone deals with wet. I've just put a small awning over the people door to the garage for shelter. I'm hoping it will deal with some of the issues that door has had. I've done the same with a diningroom bay window. Both have no roof eaves to protect them from rain and so have been maintenance problems. I have to deal with both 4X as often as any other door or window on the place.

I'm lucky in that I only have to paint about once every ten years. I make sure the house is properly prepared and primed and I buy good quality paint. Before the PV went on I had a new roof put on with 50 year shingles.

Of course, if I lived in the climes many of the posters are living in things would be totally different.

For instance....this house has no insulation except for the attic. *I* put that in. I'll eventually do the floor. I'd never live in a wood siding house with no insulation in Washington or Michigan or Vermont. I'd be insane.

14. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Godiva,

Before you think about tossing out your gas furnace for electric PV, consider resistance/electric heat of any sort, (toaster, dryer, electric space heater) are HUGE draws on any PV system. A toaster draws~800 watts, space heater upt to ~3.5kw. Most PV systems don't have anywhere near enough capacity to use for electric heat.

Converting PV to heat is much less efficient than using direct solar.

You (and others) might be interested in this link. Solar Electric Discussion Forum - Powered by vBulletin

It is a solar forum, similar to this that has lots of informed information about RE.

Icarus

PS In another part of my life, I design and build small of grid solar installations.

15. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    That's good advice Jayman. Also maintain basement foundation walls if you have them. Water hoses to washer and toilets ought to be reinforced, with metal fittings :rolleyes: Most of the rest is aesthetics.

In San Diego as an example, termites will eventually eat every wooden structure, until you 'go chemical' on them from time to time.

16. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I have net metering.

I wouldn't be converting PV to heat.

I'd be adding more PV panels to my house to generate more electricity to offset the added usage of the electrical appliances. I'd be generating electricity during peak hours during the day. I'd but using electricity off peak. While I don't relish electric baseboard if the gas furnace goes and NG is a lot more expensive than electricity, then that's the way I'll have to go. It's a decision I don't expect to have to made for several decades yet.

17. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Keeping your house properly caulked and painted can help deter termites.

Like burglars, you can't stop them, you can only slow them down.

18. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Awnings and/or some sort of overhang will make a *huge* difference in how long a window or door will last. Just keeping the rain/snow and sun off them will easily double the life

I used to have a cabin that I sold to get the hobby farm. A neighbor near my cabin was an "old fashioned" builder. His cabin was 1,600 sq ft but looked odd, as it had enormous overhangs. At least 6 ft, the roof was steeply pitched and huge

I asked him about that one day and he wanted me to guess how old the doors and windows were. I thought perhaps 5 years old. Nope, 26 years old and they looked new

19. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'm now firmly convinced that ICF is the way to go. The solid nature of ICF foundation and above-grade walls, with the proper membrane, means that leaks are far less likely

Unless termites mutate and develop an appetite for cement, they should be thwarted by an ICF house

20. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    We don't have termites this far north, unless they wear little down parkas. On the other hand, they come farther north every year, and if the warming trends continue...

There are a few old farm buildings in this area (mostly on the islands) that have cord wood foundations. The farmers cemented firewood logs together just like cement blocks, with the end grain sticking out. It's looks very odd, but they are still standing.

Tom