1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Two Bluetooth Cell Phones but only one Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by havanese_boy, Sep 18, 2006.

1. havanese_boy

havanese_boy New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    My wife and I have a 2005 Prius, and up until now only one cellphone that used bluetooth.

My wife is getting a bluetooth phone this week from Verizon. So now there will be two phones.

How will the Prius handle two cell phones with both phone's bluetooth turned on?

2. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    As I have Verizon, I had to use a second non-Verizon BT phone to send the phonebook to the Prius. I had to change the pairing to the phone I wanted to use in order to make it work. It was easier the second time as the phone remembered what the settings were.

3. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(havanese_boy @ Sep 18 2006, 12:26 PM) [snapback]321206[/snapback]</div>
    I think you meant when both of you are in the Prius with Bluetooth phone turned on, correct?
    The first one in the list will be connected. :)

4. onerpm

onerpm New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    The Prius will connect to whichever phone it was connected to the last time you drove. In order to switch to the other phone, you will have to go into the phone menu and find the button to Select Phone, then select which phone you wish the Prius to connect with. It will look for only that phone until you switch it manually again.

In other words, if you have the Prius connected to your phone, it will look for your phone every time you drive it. Even if your wife takes the car by herself, the Prius will not connect to her phone automatically.

5. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(havanese_boy @ Sep 18 2006, 01:26 PM) [snapback]321206[/snapback]</div>
    I'm not sure how it would handle having BOTH bluetooth phones in the car at the same time, but I have two bluetooth phones set up ( the other being my son's phone, but he lives 250 miles away).

The 'history of calls' is shared - I don't know about the phone book, because my son didn't set one up.

I think if ONE bluetooth phone is turned on and you both get into the car, if the 'on' phone was the last one used in the Prius, everything's fine. If it was the 'off' phone, I think the display asks if you want to use the 'on' phone after it detects it.

I'd suggest that the 'driver' have the phone 'on' and the 'passernger' have the phone 'off' - you'd have to test, thought, to see what happens when the passenger turns the phone on and dials from the cell phone.

6. havanese_boy

havanese_boy New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks guys...basically for us, it means that when my wife drives the prius she will have to manually go in and select her phone and then ditto for me when I get the car back.

7. onerpm

onerpm New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(havanese_boy @ Sep 18 2006, 01:28 PM) [snapback]321239[/snapback]</div>
    yep. i went through that for a year; then, my wife got her own prius!

rpm

8. havanese_boy

havanese_boy New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(onerpm @ Sep 18 2006, 04:28 PM) [snapback]321263[/snapback]</div>

Shhh...don't give her any ideas!!!

9. tacomel

tacomel New Member

Your understanding is correct.

Unfortunately the following statement is FALSE: if the last "on" phone is not detected but another phone is detected, the car will ask if you want to use it.

The truth: if the last "on" phone is not detected, the screen will say "bluetooth connection failed" and act as if there is no phone connected. To switch to the other phone you must go into the settings and click "select telephone" and then choose the correct phone. It will then pair. Note that you can do this only when the phone is stopped, because this is grayed out when the car is in motion. (I'll bet you feel safer.)

10. wesj49

wesj49 Junior Member

If you want to use both phones in the Prius at the same time, forward calls from the unconnected phone to the BT connected phone.

11. havanese_boy

havanese_boy New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wesj49 @ Sep 18 2006, 11:17 PM) [snapback]321467[/snapback]</div>
    That is a good idea...I would not have thought of that.

12. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(havanese_boy @ Sep 18 2006, 02:03 PM) [snapback]321274[/snapback]</div>
    You can always give her your Prius out of the goodness of your own heart... then go order a 2007 :lol:

13. Trojan

Trojan New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(onerpm @ Sep 18 2006, 12:28 PM) [snapback]321263[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, that's what I'm thinking my wife and I are gonna have to do, too! :)