1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Two Cars on One Key?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by randreed, Oct 6, 2008.

1. randreed

randreed Same as it ever was . . .

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    OK we now have TWO wonderful Prius, a Silver 2006 and a shiny new Black 2008 with ALL the trimmings.

I think I know the answer will be "no", but here it goes. . . . .

Is there any way to reprogram the smartkeys, or the cars (or both) so that we can each carry ONE smartkey but operate either car normally?

Rand

2. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Yes, it will work. But you need to take both cars to the stealer to have them programmed with the other cars SKS.

3. randreed

randreed Same as it ever was . . .

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hmm - You've done it?

How much did the Stealer charge you for that?

4. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I don't have two Prii. I was quoted from the Stealer to program a third SKS to my TCH for $50. It would be $100 for two Prii I guess.

5. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    in high theory, it's possible. but good luck trying to get it to work in practice... or finding a tech who's willing to spend the time trying.

6. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
  7. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    According to what I know about SKS...
    Each Prius has a SKS central unit (lets call it CU for short) and two fobs. The CU has an unique ID so that the fob cannot unlock another Prius even by a small chance. Each of the two fob was registered to the same CU ID so that it recognizes the CU by the ID (and vice versa). On top of that, there is the code jumping sequence (it recognizes each other by searching and predicting the next 255 codes). If the CU supports multi-channels, then it can track multiple fobs separately indefinitely. Our Prius came with two fobs, therefore, the CU supports no less than 2 channels.
    (that is why your spare fob always work even if you haven't used it for 5 years...)

Here comes the question....
    I believe our fob can only recognize ONE CU. Therefore, it is not possible to program the fob to recognize TWO Prius... unless both Prius have the same CU ID and you drive the two Prius interchangeably with 255 limits (i.e. you can't keep driving one Prius 255 times, before you drive another one).

That is my understanding. I could be wrong, but it is the best I can offer at this point.

8. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ceric, your post pretty much sums it up. Each Prius can support four fobs, but each fob has only one "channel", if you want to call it that. The rolling code will likely be a problem for any attempt at using one fob with two Prius.

Tom