1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Two days in the new Prius - Results

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by brentmeister, Oct 18, 2007.

1. brentmeister

brentmeister New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Well as you all probably know, I finally got my Prius on Tuesday night. I have been looking, researching and bugging you guys for the past six months. I thought some might be interested in my thoughts after two (really two and a half days) of driving this vehicle.

The Prius is EXACTLY what I expected after all the research and test drives. It is a quiet and solid feeling car that may not be sexy, has other appeal. I have found no hidden or unexpected shortfalls in regard to construction or performance. In fact I have been most impressed with the performance and fuel efficiency. I have not inflated my tires to 40+ PSI and since I am relatively new to the vehicle, I certainly have not perfected the pulse-n-glide technique.

I go 55mpg on the way home from the dealership; I got 61mpg on my first 23 mile commute to work. Tonight I stopped at the store (near work) then recorded my best commute.
    [​IMG]

Tonight I increased my tire pressure from 32 to 42psi all around and will see how that impacts my mpg.

I couldn't be happier and the credit goes to all of you on here that helped me so much. You don't know how thankful I am for all of the help and advice. I absolutely love this car and can't imagine why everyone doesn't drive a Prius or at least a hybrid.... ;)

Brent

2. ACORNBLUES

ACORNBLUES New Member

I'm so envious. keep us posted

3. LYLUVLY

LYLUVLY New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    We have owned our Prius for 6 months and have had a 50mpg tank only once.
    So, we think you are doing very very good. Keep it up. We envy you.

4. Neicy

Neicy Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brentmeister @ Oct 18 2007, 10:41 PM) [snapback]527587[/snapback]</div>
    Congrats on your new Prius. You might want to keep your front tires 2 psi higher than the rear due to the weight of the engine on the front tires. It makes handling better. You have certainly done an impressive job with driving it though. Keep up the good work, and have fun!

5. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Congrats! and welcome to the club.... I would only make a suggestion that 42 in the tires is fine. That's what I run in mine. But I would run 42 in the front and 40 in the rear. The rear of the car doesn't weigh as much as the front and if you keep the same pressure in the rear, it may seem a bit floaty in back. You should experience an increase going from 32 to 42 no doubt. The ride will be a little bumpier, and if you have the Goodyear Integrities, they can be noisey.

Regardless, excellent beginning!! and as you learn and your car breaks in , your mileage will only increase.

6. prius2go

prius2go Member

re: floaty at the back
    Recently changed mine to 38/36 front back on 205/40/17
    It feels floaty at the back!

7. brentmeister

brentmeister New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks for your advice and support! I adjusted the tire pressure last night and will bring the back tires down to 40 this afternoon.

I think the main reasons for my high mileage are that 1) I usually have 5-10 minutes of stop and go highway traffic that can be driven mostly in stealth mode and 2) I have a couple of two mile stretches that are also perfect for stealth mode. I really didn't realize how just a couple of miles @ 99mpg really boosts your overall mileage.

Another thing that isn't reflected in the mileage is how much gas I am saving while being stopped or waiting to get through a three-cycle intersection. This car and the engineering behing it simply amazes me....\

Thanks again to all. I probably wouldn't have bought this car had it not been for all the great folks here!!!

Cheers-
    Brent

8. skguh

skguh Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    You drove 20 miles in a half hour or more? No WONDER--is it all stop lights?
    It's my experience that the whole "Consumption/Energy" screen can become obsessive (Exhibit #1--this forum) in achieving that last drop of efficiency.

I filled up after I got down to my last pip (or whatever its called), and wound up dropping $27+ dollars--about HALF what I normally would spend to go half the distance. It's a game--trying for that "best tank" right off the lot. I've taken the opportunity with this second tank to drive 'normally' to see just what my original driving pattern would equate to in the new car--just to have a baseline. :)

Just be safe--gazing at the consumption screen can be hazardous to your health!

9. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brentmeister @ Oct 18 2007, 10:41 PM) [snapback]527587[/snapback]</div>
    Contrats! Now, think how great you'll feel when you do it for the entire tank of gas ... traveling in excess of 600 miles for the entire tank. You can post it w/ the rest of us in the sticky, 'Best Mileage, post 'em here'.

10. brentmeister

brentmeister New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

11. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats on the new car! :)

Don't fret to much if you cannot duplicate the insane numbers some of our more dedicated members attain. My best tank ever was on a trip to LA.
    [​IMG]

Normally I can barely keep a 45mpg average over a full tank of gas. I find it fairly easy to get 50+ for short stints but once I have to hit the freeway its all over, my milage drops like a rock. The particular mods I have on my car are hurting me I'm sure but I'm not going to cry over a few mpg. :)