1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Two for two in 12 months

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Freise, Aug 14, 2017.

1. Freise

Freise New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My friend bought a used 05 prius 12 months ago. The hybrid battery died in December of 2016 with 165k on the clock. We found a used hybrid battery and I swapped it in. I'm mechanically inclined but find that the electronics side of things is a different experience from building and even tuning on ICE.
    Well, it appears the second just died, pa080 and p3015. Still in disbelief that it ate two that quickly. Is there anything I should look into that could be the culprit behind two failures? (odds are its just poor luck since they are used)

I hate to invest several hundred on the equipment to recondition the battery pack, especially because I've never done it before and am not confident in my ability to troubleshoot electrical problems easily should things not go to plan, and it also seems that it needs to be done repeatedly in order to be successful and worth it, which is difficult as I'm not the owner.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but combining the two bad battery packs is not as simple as swapping out the bad module for a good one from the other pack? They have to be within an acceptable voltage of one another and so may not necessarily be compatible? Anyone have some good literature they want to spoon feed me on this subject?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    poor luck, most likely. the only way to get solid performance is new, unless you personally knew the history of the used battery.

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    1. HV batteries will last about 10 years, so if you put in a 3rd pack from a 2004-2007, it should fail again and you'll have more disappointment
    2. You can watch youtube videos and it will give you a general idea of how to disassemble a pack.
    3. If you want to invest in reconditioning equipment, Hybrid Automotive sells a kit for about $750.
    4. You would clean the bus bars of all the corrosion and then recondition your battery using the kit.

It's easier than it sounds, but it's not too difficult.

Or if you want to do a band aid repair, just disassemble the pack and pick out all the bad modules and replace with the good ones you have available.

4. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    without doing it proper which is very time-intensive and you need Chargers seems the easiest thing would be to to drain both packs and let them sit overnight then pull the obvious bad cells and toss them, now take the other cells that you think are good and make an average voltage and write that down now try & get enough cells that are very close to that average voltage to make a new battery and you're good!

If you try and only keep the very best cells not only will you not have enough to make a battery but you will be more likely to damage the week cells because they will never reach charge because the good ones will get there first causing the bad ones to over heat or will just simply ever reach pair to the good ones, that's the poor man's way of doing it I would think but my disclaimer I've never done it before but I do know a bit about batteries.

In a nutshell the weak cells tend to pull the good cells down to their level, so if the final pack or product cannot reach nominal charged voltage the whole pack will tend to overheat as it tries to accomplish that impossible feat

#4 windstrings, Aug 14, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  5. Freise

Freise New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I will continue researching, but right now if I've got two dead battery packs it seems I don't have a lot to lose by trying to combine decent modules. One of the packs, however, has been sitting since December, I assume it would not be OK to just grab one of the known working modules to swap as-is. Do they both need to be discharged completely, or does the greater charged just need to be brought as close to the lesser as possible (knowing full well this is likely a band-aid to the solution at best).