1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Two Lanes merge into one

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by NoMoShocks, Jul 13, 2007.

?
  1. 1/2 mile after the lane marking ends like California (Yellow Arrow)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 1/2 mile before the lane marking ends like Oregon (Blue Arrow)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. At the location where the lane ends - Call me Crazy Larry (Green Arrow)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Anywhere I want, I am a public trasit driver (Red Arrow)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Who cares, why did you waist our time on this topic? - No arrow for you!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. I blow my horn if people try to pass me 250 feet before the lane ends (Post your phone number too, P

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Other, explain

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I am curious what the general population thinks it the correct point to merge into the other lane, if the lane you are driving in is ending.

Us Vulcons have always felt that the logical point would be at the location were the dashed white lane marking between the two lanes ends. But most people around here are not from Vulcan and like merge in much much (1/2 mile) earlier, leaving a whole 12 ft by 2500 foot section of lane pavement completely waisted.

I can drive for that 1/2 mile at Warp 10 (35 mph) while the other two lanes are using their Inpulse Engines (5 mph), but it really torques people off. I got the idea for this Poll because someone blew their horn at me for passing them at the location of the Purple arrow below when there was a ton of space in front of them and I could get by very cautiously.

I don't know why more people don't join my way of thinking until all three lanes can go 10 MPH instead of two at 5 mph and one at 35 mph.

Here is a picture to illustrate. I re-painted the lane markings so they will show up better, and because I have always secretly wanted to try working as a Civil Engineer.

To be a little sterio typical, all in fun you realize, my observations are:

Oregonians, 1/2 mile before the lane ends (Blue Arrow/Car)

Californians, 1/2 mile after the lane ends (Yellow Arrow/Car)

My personal opinion is at the point when the dashed white lane marking ends (Green Arrow/My Silver Pine Mica Prus)

All Public Transit busses (C-TRAN or TriMet in our area) and a a verry small number of truckers (Red Arrow/Any which way the please!)

I had to make up this traffic on my own, becuase Google Earth pictures must have been taken on a holiday or something. Blow it up if you want to look for some of the Wacky Details I decided to include, and if you think of some better wacky details to add, I might try to do them.
    [attachmentid=9694]

Attached Files:

2. chuck_k

chuck_k New Member

In Pennsylvania, it's state law: both lanes go to the point of merge.

Don't worry. There are plenty of Keystone Kops truck drivers who will sit in the left lane next to their buddies and block traffic to prevent that from happening.

3. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi All,

Some of you may remember my story about the steering problems with my Ford Tempo(rary). While I was pulled over by the State Troopers, who thought the car was moving as if it was being driven by a drunk person, I had a chance to ask the troopers about the proper merging method. I was pulled over just past such a highway merge.

They said it was illegal to drive side by side with another car in a lane. So, even if the lane is wide enough, such as just past where the lane divider marking end, it would be illegal to pass another car. Or for another car to come up from behind and be side by side with you. They also said its best to merge, when traffic is crowded, when the lane dividing markings end.