1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Two lights questions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Coopers ST, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Coopers ST

Coopers ST Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey all,

So I have now been playing with our new to us 2009. Two questions I have, the amber lights above the headlights, should they light up with the headlights or just turn signals? I don't have any running or parking lights.
    Second, how do you get to the license plate lights? One is burned out.

Thanks

2. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sounds like you're describing the "pilot" or "marker" lights. They come on with what are called (in the UK) "sidelights". Welcome to PriusChat! (…but take care, PriusChat can be addictive! :eek:) ;)

…and as to the license-plate lamps, there are many threads here (use "search") - it's a PIA the first time but it gets easier once you learn the tricks (also, check youtube!)

3. Kevin_Denver

Kevin_Denver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    1. The turn signal lights only come on when using the turn signals. On the Prius, only the side "parking" lights come on, on the first setting of the light switch. On mine, I did a mod to change the turn signal lights to parking lights, using 4 relays. I posed about how to do it here: Change Turn Signal to Combination Parking/Turn Signal Light Mod | PriusChat

2. To replace the licence plate lights, you have to remove the plastic cover that's on the hatch door, by popping the connectors. There are a couple of youtube videos out there showing how to do this.

4. Coopers ST

Coopers ST Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    On the first setting for the lights, nothing comes on up front, the tail lights do. When the headlights are switched on, they come, on but still no amber lights up front.

5. Kevin_Denver

Kevin_Denver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The small side amber lights up front should come on, on the first setting. If the red lights in the rear come on, on the first setting, it's most likely that you just need two new bulbs.

valde3 likes this.