1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Two MPG Questions:

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by rpatterman, Nov 17, 2008.

1. rpatterman

rpatterman Thinking Progressive

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    #1) What kind of MPG would Toyota get with their hybrid power train in a two door Yaris? Or Honda with a Hybrid Fit?
    Why are we not seeing smaller hybrids?

#2) How will MPG be measured for PHEV? What I have seen so far tends to assume electricity is free.
    Need a standardized measure that is easily understood and applies to the real world.

2. jbumps wvu mntrs

jbumps wvu mntrs PC Superfan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The answer to your first question is one I would like to know as well. When we bought our new Prius I couldn't help but wonder how much better numbers the technology could produce if utilized in a Yaris. While I love the space of the Prius, one Prius and one much smaller (read "maybe even a two-seater") car would work. Curious to see what some of the HSD geniuses on here have to say.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  4. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Answer to second question: ymWv
    Expect to consume 0.2 - 0.4 kwh/mile pure electric;
    35 - 70 mpg pure petrol.

So e.g, if you go out for a 100 mile drive and start with say 4 kWh of useable battery,
    then somewhere between 10 and 20 miles will be electric, and the remainder petrol. It doesn't matter a bit if the electric is used up as pure EV, or blended into the petrol use.

5. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    A hybrid Yaris would weigh about 2500 lbs. So about 500 lbs less than a Prius. It should get better mileage than a Prius, though I wouldn't expect it to be a lot better. Perhaps 50-52 overall. It doesn't have the low Cd number of the Prius.

The "new" Fit looks very aerodynamic (they don't spec a Cd for it). It would also be in the 2500 lb range as a hybrid. It would use the IMA system, so wouldn't be -quite- as efficient as HSD, but would be close. I'd guess 49-51 MPG overall.

The question is would anybody actually buy one? Remember, the hybrid components would add about $2500 to the price. Small cars are very price sensitive.

It might be possible to market one "loaded up" as a "pocket rocket". It would certainly have more oompf in hybrid form! In the city, of course. Top speed wouldn't be really high as it's limited by raw HP.

I don't think you'll see one unless they think they can sell a lot of them. It's marketing.

6. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Why is this in the hybrid news forum?

7. priusuk2008

priusuk2008 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Que ? It's in the Main forum, or was when I looked at it.

8. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    If you shave off ~500 lbs and reduce the effective seating capacity, then it would makes sense to also reduce the displacement slightly. That would yield some additional mpg. In doing such a retrofit I would also anticipate some cleaning up of the aerodynamics of the Yaris or Fit.

9. Bobwho

Bobwho New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    According to Batteries: Power, Energy and Units - X Prize Cars
    The energy equivalent for gasoline is 38 KWH.

Trying to tie down the cost of a KWH is the next problem. Picking Alaska as a prime example of a problem area for power generation they have a rate of 18 cents per KWH plus a surcharge of 33 cents a KWH for a cost of $.51 per KWH we get a cost equivalent of .51 times 38 of $19.38 per gallon of gas equivalent. Using gas to generate electricity with your Prius becomes attractive and a PHEV becomes ridiculously expensive.

AEL&P predicts large drop in rates next month - Juneau Empire

At the non surcharge rate of $.18 per KWH a gallon of gas from electricity costs
    .18 x 38 = $6.84. Obviously conversion efficiencies will leave all of these calculations as extreme examples. IF the gas conversion efficiency is one third or less then we are at a break even for gas and electric.

Question: Who if anyone has done the math to figure out if a PHEV is cost effective?

Edit: Is a PHEV cost effective per mile traveled as compared to a gas ICE hybrid car? No initial expenses are to be considered in this question. IF gasoline stays at a price of $3.00 or less it would seem to me that the cost of electricity alone is more than the cost of gasoline. On the other hand as energy prices go up then the cost of electricity will go up at roughly the same rate and the PHEV will be a dead issue.

http://portfolio.epri.com/ProgramTab.aspx?sId=PDU&rId=117&pId=4087&pjId=4102

10. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    From 2000-2006 there was an opportunity to buy a smaller hybrid good for 75mpg-120mpg. Low sales & high production costs meant the end of the line.

"#2) How will MPG be measured for PHEV? What I have seen so far tends to assume electricity is free.
    Need a standardized measure that is easily understood and applies to the real world."

Yeah right. There is much grousing over the EPA's ratings now. IMO there is no way they will be able to devise a test that satisfies everyone.

11. toxicity

toxicity A/C Hog

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The Prius is more aerodynamic than the Yaris so it should get better fuel economy; however, that said, when the battery on the Prius is completely drained, fuel economy in my experience doesn't get above 36mpg. Thats the same as the Yaris highway, and 6mpg more city. The Yaris might weigh less (certainly because of a lack of a hybrid drivetrain) but its aerodynamics probably are what keep it down there relative to the Prius. As well as having the engine fed gas constantly.

So....I would reckon 40mpg. IMHO.

12. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I agree, but it might be fair for a test to be made of mpg over a range where the (actually any hybrid) electric mode (and regenerative braking) is disabled to get an idea of the efficiency as a gasoline vehicle, and then a range test with EV mode only.

Dave M.