1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Two Oil Drain Plug Gaskets Together

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Aaron, May 25, 2008.

1. Aaron

Aaron Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I noticed on my first oil change that the Oil Drain Plug Gasket was stuck VERY HARD to the oil pan and assumed that it was supposed to be there, so I didn't pry it off.

I installed a Fumoto Drain Valve, so now I have the Fumoto Gasket up next to the original gasket. Basically TWO gaskets together.:(

Am I going to be OK for the next 5000 miles until I can "scrape" off the original gasket at the next oil change?

I took it for a drive and everything looks fine, no leaks.

2. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Well, a number of us have noticed the gasket stuck to the pan. Don't just gouge away with a screwdriver, use the proper gasket scraper tool to dislodge it.

Running with two gaskets does increase your chance of a leak. Next oil change, I would fix that

3. Aaron

Aaron Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Will the gasket stick to the pan EVERY time I change the oil that it would be necessary for me to buy a special gasket scraper tool?

4. Aaron

Aaron Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Would it be worth the trouble to drain and collect the new oil....scrape off the gasket...put the oil back in?

5. SparrowHawk60

SparrowHawk60 Happy to be green!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Not if it isn't leaking. Keep an eye on it, if it starts to drip then drain and refill with clean oil.

Try a single edge razor blade to get the gasket off, tap it with something light so you don't break the razor...

Oh, and for the next gasket, try a dab or two of white grease on it next time. Put it on the side that meets up with the oil pan..

6. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    After you scrape off the old gasket and reinstall the Fumoto valve, you won't need to worry about the gasket again.

7. lenjack

lenjack Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    On my first change, I double gasketed due to the original gasket sticking and not realizing it. I realized it on my second change with the Fumoto. GENTLE tap with a flat screwdriver dislodged it. No harm, no foul.