1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Two questions....

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by tmgrl3, Aug 9, 2006.

1. tmgrl3

tmgrl3 Member

1)...Stealth mode is electric power only ?(only yellow arrows?)

Dead screen is no arrows...

2) Is Dead Screen better for mpg?

I can get into dead screen when I am up to around 35 mph on flats...

I am in electric only frequently as I near "dead screen."

OK three questions..

3)

Is there a cigarette lighter? I have looked everywhere...if I get a 12 volt tire inflator that runs off the cigarette lighter....???????

Thought I'd just group these together in a general area....since I don't see answers after searching...

terri

2. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(terri @ Aug 9 2006, 07:25 PM) [snapback]300476[/snapback]</div>
    If you mean the outlet for the cigarette lighter -- yes, there are two. One is in the center console, the other is under the dash. The locations are shown in your manual.

3. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(terri @ Aug 9 2006, 04:25 PM) [snapback]300476[/snapback]</div>
    There are two power outlets (neither will support a cigarette lighter). One is below on the passenger's side. It's toward the left if you're sitting in the passenger's seat. The other is inside the center console. Both power down when the car is, although you can change the one by the passenger to always active if you want.

4. ivfarmboy

ivfarmboy New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Aug 9 2006, 04:31 PM) [snapback]300480[/snapback]</div>
    How do you make it so it is always active? Does the Prius power things longer because of the main battery?

5. fphinney

fphinney Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GreenFarmBoy @ Aug 9 2006, 10:25 PM) [snapback]300609[/snapback]</div>
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    YEAH - -

How does a person "change the one by the passenger to always active if you want -"?

I'd like the answer to that question, too!

6. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    The company Coastal Tech sells a Power Outlet mod for about $10. You will note that the directions are on the site, so you can do the mod yourself with parts you supply.

Remember, when you power off you'll be draining the tiny battery, if you do this mod. You shouldn't think you can plug your cell phone in to charge overnight. If you had one of those solar panels you could plug it in and it would help keep the battery up, though.

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    1) yes

2) it's actually called Gliding

8. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GreenFarmBoy @ Aug 9 2006, 08:25 PM) [snapback]300609[/snapback]</div>
    Remember, the Prius does not have full sized 12-volt car battery. When you power off the car, there is no power coming out of traction battery. Making the outlet always active is risky due to the small 12-volt battery.

EDIT: WoW! Walk away from PriusChat for a couple of minutes and the post you are about to post can become redundant.
    :eek:

9. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Aug 9 2006, 10:08 PM) [snapback]300656[/snapback]</div>
    I hear that! :) I've done the same. Got ready to type, then get a drink of water. When you post you're way down the list.

Anyway, think of that 12-volt battery like the CMOS battery on your motherboard. It isn't designed to run the thing, just keep the settings and make sure everything is there before booting up.

10. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(terri @ Aug 9 2006, 06:25 PM) [snapback]300476[/snapback]</div>
    1) Yes.
    2) Yes. It means that no energy conversion is occuring (chemical -> kinetic, chemical ->electric, or kinetic<->electric). There are always losses during energy conversion. The most fuel efficient way to drive any car is to quickly speed up to some maximum speed, and then "glide" (no arrows) until your next stop. Of course it's usually not practical to do this, but the closer you can get to it the better the fuel economy will be.

11. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(terri @ Aug 9 2006, 07:25 PM) [snapback]300476[/snapback]</div>
    Any time you are using NO power to move the car, it is better for MPG :) If you are using electricity, it will have to be replaced at some point. You shouldn't have to be at 35 MPH to get into 'glide' mode (no power arrows). You can go to glide mode any time the engine is warmed up if the road is flat or somewhat down hill.
    You should also know that just because you see NO arrows, or only electric motor arrows, the engine is not necessarily shut down. There is no engine run indicator. The software has to make some guesses as to the likelyhood that you will ask for enough power that the ICE will be needed. Thus it doesn't shut down the second you hit stealth or glide mode. You can 'nudge' it into stealth mode on a nearly flat or slight downhill if the engine is warmed up by getting up to speed, then backing off the accelerator just a bit, then pushing it in gently.

12. tmgrl3

tmgrl3 Member

Thanks everyone...I don't smoke or use a cigarette lighter, but the 12 volt battery tire inflator runs off a car charger...I ordered the one that was in John's manual, but it was DCd. It needs to run off a car battery.

I guess there is no other way to charge it?

I am getting better at getting into gliding mode...no arrows, and I am often in electric mode.

My first tank of gas, was 31 mpg. I now have about 80 miles on the second tank of gas and my average mpg is 45 mpg and I'm still on the first bar of the gas tank indicator.....I find that the pluse and glide is just a wonderful habit...I am climbing my hills a bit more briskly, which warms up the engine at the outset, and I use it to get me to speed...which

is usually around 30-40 mph...I can get into glide over 30...but definitely 35 mph is a magic point for it....so my mileage is going up already and I'm only on my second tank of gas.

What fun!!

Today, I went the same route to the mall twice....the first time, I watched the MFD to see that I was in stealth or glide...the second trip, I just watched my speedometer and tried to keep near the 35 mph mark, using pulse and glide...got about the same average mph.

terri

Thanks everyone for the input.

Guess not getting the 12volt tire inflator was good then if I would need to charge it off the Prius's battery?

13. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    No, by all means get one. i have one that never leaves my trunk (except when i have to use it). There's a DC-DC inverter that charges the 12V battery from the hybrid battery, which in turn is charged from braking or the ICE. Others were simply cautioning that, if you do the always-on mod for the power outlet, you'd run the risk of killing your 12V battery if the car wasn't turned on while you were pumping. it's just something to be aware of, and in the situations where you would need a pump, it's infinitely better to have it and leave the car running while you pump the tire than have to call a tow truck because you didn't have one.

14. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Right, I also have a 12-V pump. When I use it, I first turn on the car. The ICE starts and stops as needed and I can pump up the tires. We thought you wanted some special use, like charging a cell phone or something.

15. tmgrl3

tmgrl3 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Aug 10 2006, 04:48 PM) [snapback]301070[/snapback]</div>

OK ...this is over my head...where would I get a DC-DC inverter and how is it "hooked up" for use? I'm just a little ol' lady from Long Island....but would like to have the tire inflator...I had a blowout at 20 miles, but inflating wouldn't have helped this one...I pulled over to the side to make a call and tire blew from something that slashed it four inches across and through.

terri

16. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(terri @ Aug 10 2006, 04:29 PM) [snapback]301169[/snapback]</div>
    I think what eagle33199 meant to say was that there's a DC-DC inverter already in the Prius, which charges the smaller battery while in the Ready mode. Just power up and you'll have no problem with the inflator.

17. tmgrl3

tmgrl3 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Aug 11 2006, 11:14 AM) [snapback]301484[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks! So I power up the car, plug in the 12volt inflator and inflate away?

ToolKing no longer has the model shown in John's manual...actual no one does...there is a different one by some company....I'll look for that one....anyone have any suggestions for a different model?

terri

18. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(terri @ Aug 11 2006, 11:24 AM) [snapback]301612[/snapback]</div>
    Right, that's all you need to do. :)

You should check this thread, which discusses different portable inflators.

19. tmgrl3

tmgrl3 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Aug 14 2006, 01:39 PM) [snapback]303067[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks aaf, I will check out that thread!!