1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Two Wheeled Prototype EV

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by Sergiospl, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  2. mmcdonal

mmcdonal Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yeah, I don't know about that. How much energy does the flywheel take up? And why not just add a third wheel out front? The cost to engineer and build could go even lower.

The demo showing the cgi of the bike getting broad sided and then skidding across the pavement while staying up is hooey, in my experience. It does not take into account friction on the wheels, and the possibility of the flywheel getting broken.

I like the idea of an enclosed three wheel ev. That would be an awesome commuter, IF there weren't so many SUVs out there. Once they go the way of the dinosaur, then these become more attractive.

Also, the cargo bike needs a compartment of built in tie-downs or something. That reporter just dropping her bag on the open platform said "lost her bag after the first turn or bump in the road," to me.

3 wheel enclosed ev, I think that is the future for commuting, IMHO.

3. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i like it... it seems like it would work 99.99 percent of the time. for that tiny percentage (major accidents/complete failure)... that sounds normal to any vehicle. at least it's caged in? (still sound dangerous around an suv)...

i wonder how the pre production test will go... crash test.. etc..

side note?.. how many thousands of lbs can that gyro generate? didn't they say 20 something thousand? that's crazy awesome. (i'll watch it again tonight)

4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I think it's neat. I like the idea of gyroscopic stability though, as mmcdonal said, I also like the Piagio MP3 which is a three-wheeled hybrid scooter.

5. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  6. mmcdonal

mmcdonal Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  7. Electric Charge

Electric Charge Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hate to dig up an old thread, but I really wanted to talk some more about this thing. I have been doing some research, and this really is a nice machine. They posted a video which shows the C-1 in action. The specs is what got my attention:

Price will be between $19k and $24k. It looks like the perfect commuter vehicle, while it is also fun to drive. I couldn't find much about the C-1 on here, so I'm wondering if most people aren't aware, or if this is just more vaporware. I personally would love to order one of these (supposedly some big names have already pre-ordered 1).

Thoughts?

8. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    The problem with selling this in the US is price and lack of a third wheel. $19K after tax incentives are what's on the website. With $199/mo leases in california on the leaf its going to have a trough time. I think its a race to see if aptera or lit can get an afordable enclosed electric motorcyle on the market first.

Lit Motors C1 two-wheeled encased motorcycle prototype rolls, rocks!

9. Electric Charge

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Why is the lack of third wheel a problem. Also, this vehicle has a 200 mile range, Leaf doesn't even come close to that. Remember, I am thinking of it as a commuter vehicle, not a family hauler.

10. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    The lack of a third wheel is a problem if you get hit. I doubt that those gyros will really keep you upright, they will only help you ride. If your spending $20K the ability to have a passenger and stuff etc might be important. Even a 250cc motorcycle has a bitch seat, but this thing does not.

I think many people will like the idea of it, but when it comes down to buying it they won't. They will like the idea of other people buying it. I like the aptera concept much better and the twizzy. Then again if lit can get the price down people might buy it for a short run about.

11. Electric Charge

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Did you watch the video? It pretty impressive, it shows the exact scenario you are talking about, and it does stay upright (granted, it probably won't work if you get T-boned by a semi @ 50mph). It also has room for a 2nd person.

12. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Its a simulation. I don't really trust it, and don't think others will either. I do occasionally drive car2go (smart fourtwo) and don't think those would be very safe either. Maybe they will get it to work. I do ride motorcycles and I don't need no stinking gyro, but I understand in the bad case that I get hit, things probably won't go well for me. The gyros will protect from user error.

Its a cool idea. Enclosed electric bike- hopefuly with a removeable cage like the prototype. I had looked at the prototype not not simulation. I do see now they have a strange back seat, so thats taken care of. It looks kind of like a two wheeled go cart, which would be fun. My main problem is the cost and the claim of safety. That $24K before tax credits makes it a tough sell.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/12/automobiles/electric-motorcycle-sales-are-low-despite-hype.html

I do have a couple of friends in grad school that have electric scooters ;-)

13. Electric Charge

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Many people send more than that for just a commuter car (inflation + tech have significantly increased the cost of even the smaller cars), so I do think there is a market for that. I personally hate how I am driving a 4-5 person car, JUST to get to work by myself. Such a waste. Smart Car/Scion IQ look great and efficient, but their mpg sucks.

Basically you get the benefits of a motorcycle, better gas mileage and some car-level protection (cage/shell, air bags, etc.). Not trying to say this is the holy grail, or even close to it, but I'm definitely excited about it. I live in a rural area, with a 21 mile commute each way, and I think it would be a perfect fit.