1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tying Kayak bow down to front of Prius - Help

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Spirit Water Walks, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Spirit Water Walks

Spirit Water Walks New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Any Prius - Kayak folks out there?
    Just recently purchased a 2012 Prius IV and have installed the Thule Aero Rack system and the Thule Hull-A-Port Pro Kayak Vertical Racks. I can't find a place to tie down / hook the bow to near - around the front bumper of the car. Everything seems to be plastic. There is a metal plate with a nice round hole underneath, just behind the bumber, but I am concerned that the tie down wrapping around the plastic bumber will cause damage to the car, not withstanding the tie-down wrap pressure.

For the tying down of the stern, I have found a metal hook under the rear bumber.

Any experience and/or advise will be appreciated.
    Thanks !

2. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Can you see what I did here?
    I do not know about 2012 but the 2006 has some great tie down points under the bumper, rear and front.
    For a canoe you want to make an inverted "V" like shown here, and put some put a couple twists in the rope where it ties into the canoe to prevent side-to-side travel. You could use some type of shield over the bumper if you are worried about scuffing...mine may have some clear tube. I got a ratchet canoe tie down system at REI, you are seeing here in the picture.

3. Gerald R Fenner

Gerald R Fenner New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    On Page 523 of the Owner's Manual is an illustration of the Towing Eyelets that screw into the front of the Prius. Possible could be used to make an inverted V for your purpose. Follow instructions on installation.

Dick

4. marymaggie

marymaggie New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi -- I have the same issue with my 2010 Prius. From doing a little research on-line, I found that there are "hood loops" that you can buy that attach beneath a bolt under the hood. Go to Amazon.com and search for "Sherpak Hood Loops." BTW, I haven't ordered these yet, but the reviews on amazon are good.

5. Macareen

Macareen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    I am having the same issue. I purchased the Thule roof rack with the glide and set system, and cannot tie down anywhere except where you describe. I am also wanting to add a bike rack, but have been told to buy the type that needs a hitch so the rack and the bike do not make contact with the car. If you have been able to come up with a solution, please post. Thanks.