1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Types of Navigation systems

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by tuco, Dec 19, 2005.

1. tuco

tuco New Member

I apologize if anyone has written about this, but I searched several times and could not find anything in this forum about the different types of navigation systems that our Priuses come with. According to the owner's navigation system manual, there are types 1, 2 an 3. I have an '06 with package #8, and judging from the graphics it has either type 1 or 2. I know this because the display screen says "Toyota" when it comes on. Type 3 navigation systems say "Toyota Prius" and the graphics are in 3D, which to me is much better. What I'm confused about is, why are the graphics on the older version better? Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

2. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

I am guessing by what I have read on the forum so far, but I believe type1,2,3 refers to the display, not the NAV. If you have NAV, I would suspect you have the best of the 3 displays.

3. rposton

rposton Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The manual is outside in the glovebox in the cold... So from memory, I thought that it referred to the buttons on the side of the display screen and the choice of options that are available so therefore the displays are a little different. Like for instance, the different sound systems.

4. jeneric

jeneric New Member

I hypothesize that:

Type 1: Display for Prius with NAV (#7 and #8)
    Type 2: Display for Prius with Backup Camera (#2 to #6)
    Type 3: Lower Res Display for Basic Prius (#1 or less)

As far as the Type 3 splash screen looking cooler, you are looking at a low res picture in the manual. It sounds like that splash screen (and display) might also be on the 2004 and 2005 Prii.