1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Typical, Atypical, or Stereotypical Owner, Who are You?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by dustoff003, Jan 26, 2011.

?

What type of owner do you think you are?

Poll closed Jan 26, 2012.
  1. Typical

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  2. Atypical

5 vote(s)
    38.5%
  3. Stereotypical

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  4. Mixture of 1-3

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  5. Other

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  1. dustoff003

dustoff003 Blizzard Brigade #003

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Two threads that I have read recently (linked below) got me wondering why I bought my Prius and to try and determine what type of owner I was. I am still thinking about the later but I purchased my car because it is cool, it has a high average MPG, I needed a new car, and fuel is more expensive here than the mainland. I had the means to buy a Prius so I bought it. I figure I am part of the energy and environmental solution not contributing as much to the problems. The State of Hawaii is most dependent State in the Union on fossil fuels for energy production and everything has to be imported.

I am wanting to know why you bought your Prius and where you would classify yourself as an owner and why. I have decided on these three categories, Typical, Atypical, or Stereotypical. I am not limiting this to those three and I am not trying to put anybody in a box. I am also looking for you to share your definition of what you feel of each category listed is. Please feel free to elaborate on the common misconceptions of Prius owners by non-Prius owners, others and popular culture.

This does not have to be extreme or overly political, lets just have fun and play nicely. I am curious to read your responses.

While I was writing I thought a little about myself as to what type of owner I am, I feel I am parts of each of the three categories I’d listed above. I am a moderate centrist kind of person I research issues and make my own decisions, regarding politics and other maters. I am not an environmental extremist but I do care. I also consider myself a wise car buyer.

http://priuschat.com/forums/freds-house-pancakes/89250-note-left-my-dashboard-today.html By: Clickerman

http://priuschat.com/forums/freds-house-pancakes/41557-nra-sticker-my-prius-anyone-else.html By: thelemite

You could also include the many threads regarding people hating Priuses, the ones about tailgating, invisibility and others that made my ponder my questions.

2. Bob Comer

Bob Comer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I think you'll have to define just what you mean for the three categories -- I have no idea just which of the 3 I am given just the one word definitions.

I didn't buy mine because it was cool, I bought it for the gas mileage and the distance I could travel on 1 tank of gas.

3. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I ain't no typical nothing.

4 people like this.
  4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    If I ate granola*, I suspect I would be a Prius poster child. Left wing, environmentalist since the 60s, who was looking to have less impact on pollution.

Walked from Mexico to Canada, campaigned for McGovern and Carter, so I am in the 50+ category that some child recently regarded as nearly dead. And while my wife had the sense to recommend we look at the Prius, I do not blame her for 'making' me buy this car.

* I eat meat, just not mammals.

5. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not sure what to choose in the poll. :/

• I make a living protecting natural areas but I also protect farmers and ranchers.
    • I drive a Prius but I often wear cowboy boots instead of flip-flops and Wranglers instead of hemp island pants.
    • I usually vote Democrat but I hate government inefficiencies and overspending including extended welfare for people who chose to be lazy.
    • I drive for efficiency but I am usually blasting Bay Area rap or metal instead of Cat Stevens. Ok well sometimes Cat Stevens is cool. lol
    I guess I'm just me. :)

6. dustoff003

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Your right I could have posted what I thought of each given definition. I will try and do that, but that will be my own opinion. I was searching for how others defined those terms and how they would describe themselves in regards to what type of owner they thought they are. Thanks.

Cool me either!

Thanks, Jimbo kinda what I was searching for. So In your view is that Typical or Stereotypical or both? Your lucky my wife though it was the ugliest car on the lot. She's coming around after a couple of weeks, she has still yet to drive it yet though, that's by her own accord. I tell her to drive all the time she refuses.

7. dustoff003

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five

8. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I suspect I am the stereotype, if I was only Gay, Vegan, and Wiccan. Here is a secret for your wife (at least on Gen II) you can't see ANY of the sheetmetal when driving it, the one person who never sees your 'ugly' Prius is the driver.

9. Ninjawife

Ninjawife Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Typical - I suppose. I like technology and saving money on fuel. Who wouldn't? :)
    Nothing trendy lead me to my first hybrid, just the facts.
    I don't really hug trees but am aware of the impact many generations ahead depends on us today.
    The very first in my family to own one....hopefully not the last!

10. thbjr

thbjr Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I suppose I'm mostly stereotypical. We bought our first Prius to replace my wifes '93, 22MPG Acura Legend because of the spectacular fuel mileage. 3 weeks later we bought the second one because it was not only a blast to drive with all it's technology, but I was already turning off the ICE on my Fit to coast up to stop lights, etc, and since the Prius did that itself, well, nothing like sitting at a light, motor off, perfect silence and no motor vibration at all. In fact, it was one of the first things the wife and I noticed when we took one for our first test drive, perfect peace and quiet at a stop.

11. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Apparently, I'm two out of three....

but I consider myself "other"... as I'm not a typical anything, including "typical" vegan, or "typical" wiccan.

12. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    See, you don't have to be all the stereotypes! You haven't even knitted a warmer for your dalmatian Prius.

1 person likes this.
  13. Tink

Tink New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Conservative Republican. Anyone read W's Decision Points? Great book.

Business owner - manufacturing and construction. Employ about 30 welders.

NOT an environmentalist. Only green I'm trying to save is in my wallet.

Previous (still own it) vehicle is 2007 Dodge megacab 4x4 dually diesel 13 mpg pickup. Saving about $750 per month in fuel - drive about 45k miles per year.

Something odd: I'll fly my Bonanza V35B to get a hamburger, but will hypermile home to save fuel.

I do love electronics and gadgets.

Typical?

14. J5A

J5A Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Love that!
    ~~~~~~

I'm a mutt - a little of this, a little of that. :D

15. PhazonPhobe

PhazonPhobe His name is Sora

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm going to go ahead and say That_Prius_Car and I are not your typical Prius drivers.

16. Tink

Tink New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Some would be suprised, J5A, that I can average about 14 mpg in my BO, traveling at 170 knots (195ish mph) - about the same as my pickup. BUT not as good as my last Prius tank of 55.2....

17. J5A

J5A Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    ^Sorry to thread jack, but where IS the best burger? :usa2:
    And can I get there in my Prius? LOL

18. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    In-N-Out. And yes, that's (part of) the reason I flew this past fall. They're that good.

19. Tink

Tink New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Pilots call a flight for a burger, the $100 hamburger. Now, it's usually a $200 burger, depending on how many you bring - fuel increases, you know.

Brenham Airport (11R) has won the official $100 Hamburger Best of the Best for four years running. Very good! AND, the waitresses are young, cute, and all wear poodle skirts. There's an outside seating area with a great view of the runway and apron.

Brenham is a stones throw from Houston. I'd say it IS the best $100 hamburger, but the best? Perini's, outside Abilene. Tom Perini has been on Good Morning America, and was W's favorite. He often catered at the Crawford Ranch. He prepared Putin's first real BBQ meal.

1 person likes this.
  20. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm thinking I'm atypical. I bought my Prius to replace my wife!

Happy Motoring,

Tom