1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Typical Prius sounds as soon as car is turned off

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Schlomo, Sep 18, 2010.

1. Schlomo

Schlomo New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm a brand new 2009 Prius owner and just noticed that when I turn my car off, a few odd sounds occur in the engine compartment... like something electrical was running.

Is this normal?

2. roverguy78

roverguy78 Elite Lurking Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Most likely the inverter coolant pump or the brake pump running. Both completely normal to hear.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    One sound probably is the engine coolant heat recovery system pump running. This will typically run upon cold startup as well as upon shutdown, for several seconds at a time. The purpose of this system is to speed up engine warmup, for the sake of reduced exhaust emissions.

Another sound may be the brake pressure accumulator pump, which will periodically run throughout the time that the Prius is READY and may even run when the car is IG-OFF. To force the pump to run so that you can recognize the sound, just make the car READY then repeatedly pump the brake pedal until you hear the pump run.

The inverter coolant pump runs continuously while the Prius is IG-ON or READY, and this sounds like an aquarium pump. This is located behind the driver's side headlamp assembly and normally runs quietly enough so that you will not hear it unless you open the hood and listen for it when the gasoline engine is not running.

The inverter makes a high-pitched sound when the Prius is READY. The sound increases in volume when you decelerate the vehicle.