1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tyre pressure

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by David Beale, Feb 23, 2013.

1. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    A reminder for all those who procrastinate or ignore lights on the dash.

As you know, we have monitors and pressure drops with time and with temperature. Pearl S had the light on for much of this winter, but as she was sleeping in the garage I didn't worry about it.

My compressor won't start when it's cold (pops the internal breaker trying), but today it was just under freezing in the garage and I put Pearl on the road today so decided to fire it up to pressure up both the Prius and the FJ Cruiser tyres.

So, Pearl's tyres were at 32 PSI (I keep them at 42 front and 40 rear - so they dropped that much). Still probably safe, but they did need air. I WILL have to bleed them off in a few months when it warms up.

Of course the FJs tyres are much larger so they take much more air to cause the pressure to rise. I keep them at 35 PSI and they were down to 31-32. No pressure monitor on the FJ.

Light is off, the sun is shining, all is good in the world.

2. Bob Hahn

Bob Hahn Wingman08

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I use N2 in mine, I run at 38–40 psig. The theory is N2 has a lower effect from temp change. Also no moisture and therefor better for the rubber, extending tire life, less dry rot, etc.who knows if there is any truth to this but some swear by it.
    It doesn't cost any extra from the dealer so who knows. I'm considering doing the same for my GoldWing. The bottom line is the price is right....FREE!

3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ^^ That depends on the dealer. Many charge extra for N2.

4. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I check them weekly, and adjust the pressure with my bicycle pump. 5 pumps is about one PSI for my setup.