1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tyre Replacement Using Treadwear Warranty

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by SageBrush, Sep 4, 2008.

1. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I'm one of many (I think) with a car that eats tyres prematurely despite correct alignment and pressures, and non-aggressive driving patterns. A recent post reminded me to take advantage of the treadwear warranty I have, and this thread is a friendly reminder to dot i's and cross t's -- since there are quite a few gothcha's involved in taking advantage of the warranty:

1. Seems common for manufacturers to require proof of good maintenance. This means tyre rotations about every 5k miles, and keeping tyre pressures within spec. A couple of shops I called told me that they do not try to stick to the letter of the warranty rules but rather expect reasonable conduct from the customer. It seems rather clear that using a shop that will not try to nitpick the customer is a good idea. Because of these requirements, trying to invoke a warranty from a shop other than where original purchase and rotations take place is going to be an uphill battle.

2. An employee at my shop tried to tell me that the credit is a prorata of the *wholesale* price. I called multiple stores in town and they all told me that the current msrp should be used. Hopefully a chat with the owner will straighten this out for me.

3. I was thinking about using Costco (since I can retrieve tyre rotation records), but they will only provide warranty service on tyres bought from them. It was interesting to hear from them that they do not charge their usual $11/tyre installation and disposal fee in cases of warranty replacement. It makes sense to me that these fees should at least be prorated also. I might try and request it from my shop.

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i went to the nearest authorized brandname dealer, and they were total jerks. first, they said my alignment clearly messed up the tires. i handed them my alignment printouts, all within spec. then they argued it was underinflation. i challenged them to check all 4, they are above manufacturer spec. we made the mistake of DIY tire rotations, so they finally got me on that. i told them where they could shove their tires and walked out.

i had a great experience with discount tire though, they worked directly with the tire mfr to give me the discount up front. plus, i got free rotations with the new tires so we don't have to do that ourselves anymore. i was quite pleased with the result. will be hanging on to records for when these go, and deal with discount tire again next time too.

3. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The 80K Goodyear ComfortTreds on our Sienna were worn out in about 40K.
    The local Kauffman Tire envoked the treadwear warranty, no questions asked, and got me a new set put on for less than 1/2 price.

Wow. I was impressed.