1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tyres and mileage

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by katherine biel, Feb 24, 2011.

1. katherine biel

katherine biel New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    III
    May I replace my front tyres with my rear tyres, so I can have more mileage? Is it dangerous? I know some people do that, because the front tyre in the driver side has to suffer the weight of driver and the engine, so it wears out quicker than the other side tyre and the back ones.

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  3. katherine biel

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've just taken a look at the discussion in CarTalk, its really helpful and controversial.
    If i can rotate the tires myself, i only need to spend money on eight bucks a wheel for rebalancing, and i should rotate every 3000 miles which is not a good idea.
    But if i have them rotated, so it will cost me more than $125. It's nothing wrong to rotate my tires, its good to extend the life of the tires as long as its free.

4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Why would you need to re-balance them? Most people simply rotate them. Having them rebalanced every time you rotate is not cost efficient unless you are paying a very low one-time fee for "lifetime" balancing. In my opinion, just rotate them and save your money for the next set of tires. This is assuming you have not subjected your tires to harsh road/curb damage which could cause severe unbalancing.

5. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Like F8L said, there is no need for a re balance unless you notice vibration from the wheels. Normally a re balance is a waste of money.

The 5,000 mile Toyota recommendation for tire rotation is more than often enough. 10,000 miles would be good enough. There is no reason to rotate them at 3,000 miles.

The best reason for rotating tires is so that they all wear out at the same time so you get 4 new tires at the same time. Otherwise you will have a mix of new and old tires, often of different models and brands which will effect handling.

6. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The tires are balanced with the wheels off the car, so the balance is unaffected by where on the car you put each wheel.

Provided that all four wheels are properly balanced before the rotation there is no need to re-balance them during the rotation.

7. katherine biel

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thank you for all of your advices guys, I'm a silly girl who is interested in wierd things. This is my first car. I had been thinking a lot before buying it, considering all the costs and insurance i have to spend on it. The car is a little out of my budget. So i've been trying to think of something that could bring some economic advatages. :(