1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

tyres premium vs budget??? £££££££££££££$$$$$$

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by graham hendren, Feb 8, 2014.

1. graham hendren

graham hendren Geeman .. taximan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    im stumped on this so far wat I have read is a Pirelli p7 or a hancook can give you an extra 2.5 mpg now that sounds good but when you consider the price difference a budget tyre at £45 to a premium tyre costing £118.00 .. are they really any better im doing around 35k a year so I just carnt see that them make any saving at all . you just paying for a brand name . just to say guys I am on 17" wheels 215.45.74

2. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Some of the premium tires come with tread wear warranties that the bargain brands don't and are put through more rigorous quality control checks too. Even the rubber formula will differ, the budget brand may dry rot much sooner than the premium brands.
    Before assuming you're just paying for the name (which may or may not be true in some cases) take a look at specific reviews at Tire Rack - Your performance experts for tires and wheels and see what actual owners think...

3. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I found it was better to use LRR tyres but I have the 15 inch wheels and the good fuel economy LRR's were only £70 fitted inc vat.

I did have non LRR tyres on by mistake (garage ordered wrong ones) and my economy was down by about 5 mpg. So I'll let you do the maths. 35k miles at 50 mpg instead of 55 mpg.

Personally why pay £20k for a car and then put cheap tyres on each corner? In the taxi job there were two trains of thought. Some were like me who knew good tyres save you in the long run; that time you hit a tight right hander going too fast on a wet and muddy road. Others liked to put the cheapest, nastiest tyres that they legally could use. Two extremes I know.

But I do know of drivers who had blow outs and the fun that entailed as you spin at 80 mph on the motorway. Your life, your call.

4. graham hendren

graham hendren Geeman .. taximan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I don't break speed limits lol im a taxi driver .

5. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Ha ha ha ha. Yeah right ha ha ha.

And my broker in law is the Pope!

Anyhow, 80 mph displayed is about 74 mph actual. Still within the 10% limit for a ticket :)