1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

U-haul 1.25" hitch for 2012 Prius for bike rack?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by pdx in 617, Aug 17, 2016.

1. pdx in 617

pdx in 617 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi all,

I know the topic of bike racks is a common one on here but it seems like most folks install them themselves. Has anyone had a 1.25" receiver hitch installed from U-haul? I was initially thinking I would get a 2" but when I entered my car info into their search it only yielded the 1.25" as an option.

Any thoughts on this? If you have one installed - which bick rack would you recommend? Yakima has too many choices and I'm just looking to get bikes to the trail. Nothing epic.

Thanks!!

2. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    1-1/4" Curt Hitch..."One Up USA" single rack with single add-on...2015 Prius 4. Works on 2010 II as well.

[​IMG]

3. grnd0

grnd0 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Go to etrailer. They have hitches and install videos. Very easy to install
    yourself. Reason for the smaller receiver opening is the tow capacity. Small
    ones have a capacity of 2,000 lbs trailer, 200 lb tonge weight.

4. texasdiver

texasdiver Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Most of the hitch receiver bike racks are designed to be used in either a 2" or 1 1/4" receiver. They make them in the 1 1/4" size and then provide a square sleeve that slides over the hitch tongue to size it up to the 2" size. At least that is how my bike racks are made. I think Yakima does the same.

Personally I'd rather find a 2" receiver so that I can swap bike racks from my wife's Highlander to the Prius without modifying the rack. But I don't see any on the market in 2" size. But it isn't that big of a deal. It will just take a minute or two and a wrench to remove the sizing sleeve on the hitch tongue.

5. texasdiver

texasdiver Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    On the bike racks. This is something of which I know.

There are two basic styles of hitch mount bike racks. The simpler and lighter versions are hanging racks that designed for the bike to hang from the bikes top tube (the part of the bike frame that runs from the seat to the handlebars). These work good for any bikes that have a standard type bike frame such as most road bikes and hybrid style generic bikes. However they don't work well with bikes that lack a straight and horizontal top tube such as some full suspension mountain bikes as well as some kids bikes and women's bikes. To make these bikes work you have to buy a separate accessory bar for each bike that clamps between the seat and handlebar to simulate a top tube that costs about $60 each I think.

The second style of hitch mount rack are platform racks and designed for the bike wheels to sit in a tray and then there is some kind of clamp system that secures the bike. These will more universally handle any kind of bike. They tend to be heavier and more expensive racks but are handier if your bikes lack a traditional horizontal top tube. They also tend to be much bulkier to you'll have a bigger rack sitting in your garage when not in use if space is an issue.

The third consideration is how the rack folds up when not in use. Some have complicated swing away systems or fold in complicated ways to allow you to access the rear cargo area with the rack installed. The heaviest and most complicated ones are designed to swing away withe the bikes installed so you can still get to your cargo area when bikes are on the car. Others only allow cargo access with the bikes removed and some require the rack to be removed. Depends on the car and hitch height. The swing away designs add weight and bulk and expense. I'd probably avoid them for a Prius where you are concerned about weight. Just know you won't be opening the hatch when bikes are on the rack.

As for brands. Yakima and Thule are the higher end but more expensive. They tend to have more stylized plastic parts and look cool but it is still just a bike rack. I have racks from a company called Swagman that I bought from eTrailer. Not as fancy as the Yakima but they are solid well built racks and get the job done for less money.

#5 texasdiver, Aug 19, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
  6. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I promise you will not find a better and/or better made hitch mount bike rack than the IUP USA items...and they are provisioned to tip back so you can access the hatch on your GEN III Prius. Bumper/body mounted bike racks WILL damage the body/paint finish. Do your search.