1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

U-Haul Hitch and Wiring Install

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Chris_Kewl, Nov 13, 2007.

1. Chris_Kewl

Chris_Kewl New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    After reading the guides and information on wiring the Prius I was pretty set on purchasing my hitch and wiring harness. However, after researching and seeing that it would be $180 for the hitch and $25 for the wiring harness, it was going to be very expensive on top of me doing it myself.

I called U-Haul and they could install it for $220.53. Though you will want to call your local store because the national 1-800 line will fudge the numbers I think. Originally the national line quoted me like $253, which was way too expensive.

The way it works out is like this:

- Prius Hitch, which they use Curt hitches for - $119.95
    - Hitch Labor for 1/2 hour - $25.00
    - Wiring Harness (Converter 3 to 2 Wire) - $16.95
    - Wiring Labor for 3/4 hour - $40.00
    - Lifetime Warranty $5.00

$206.90 + $13.63 Tax = $220.53.

To be completely honest, this isn't a bad price at all. The money is really in the wiring, but if they can get it cheaper than I can and install it for only a few bucks more professionally, then I am all for it. The lifetime warranty is also quite nice because they will deal with any problems with the install later. So that's definetly well worth the extra few dollars.

I will update more once I have it done on Saturday. I hope it is as good as they say (and I hope it has no stickers on it either, or I will be peeling stickers off on Saturday afternoon).

Chris

2. n8kwx

n8kwx Member

Arlington Heights, IL - NW Chicago Suburb
    Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I'd suggest that you have U-Haul install an "isolated" taillight converter. An isolated converter powers the trailer lights directly off the battery. This protects the Prius wiring from any shorts or overloads.

http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=40194&hl=

3. dongwoo

dongwoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Do all the U-Hauls carry the new modified Curt hitch that do not block the exhaust pipe? Or do you have to request it special ordered?

Thanks!

4. Chris_Kewl

Chris_Kewl New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I know this is way old, but the link didn't work. And actually I have never had a problem when towing things.

As far as to answer you, yes, they have the new Curt hitch. It's great and she works quite well. Very sturdy. Though when I get a house, I am getting my own trailer for the DJ equipment.

Chris