1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

U.N. admits it's been overestimating AIDS epidemic for years

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by JackDodge, Nov 20, 2007.

1. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...ml?hpid=topnews

In a stunning example of how you can't believe anything that you read, the UN admits that it has been estimating that 40 million people have been infected with HIV, and now they've reduced that figure to 33 million. In fact, AIDS cases have been going down for 10 years or so and the overstatement has, according to some, been used to increase funding:

"Having millions fewer people with a lethal contagious disease is good news. Some researchers, however, contend that persistent overestimates in the widely quoted U.N. reports have long skewed funding decisions and obscured potential lessons about how to slow the spread of HIV. Critics have also said that U.N. officials overstated the extent of the epidemic to help gather political and financial support for combating AIDS.

"There was a tendency toward alarmism, and that fit perhaps a certain fundraising agenda," said Helen Epstein, author of "The Invisible Cure: Africa, the West, and the Fight Against AIDS." "I hope these new numbers will help refocus the response in a more pragmatic way."

2. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JackDodge @ Nov 20 2007, 06:55 AM) [snapback]541888[/snapback]</div>
    If i recall correctly just like NASA over-estimated the average temperatures and had to correct them for the past decade or so.

I wonder what other UN statistics/reports we call on so often are incorrect?
    - estimated time for Iran to become a nuclear power?
    - presence of a nuclear program in Syria?

sorry for being so cynical so early in the morning.

3. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Nov 20 2007, 07:24 AM) [snapback]541895[/snapback]</div>
    It's what political organizations do, instill fear to further their own goals, to get more money and other resources. Every politician does it. Every organization does it. By keeping us in fear that the sky is falling, they keep themselves in power and in business and make lots of money. Two people come to you. One says that the world is ending, the other says that not only is the world not ending, it's even better than ever. Neither is accurate but the safe bet for any of us is to know that the truth is somewhere in the middle.

4. bat4255

bat4255 2017 Prius v #2 and 2008 Gen II #2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JackDodge @ Nov 20 2007, 06:57 AM) [snapback]541901[/snapback]</div>
    +1

Insurance companies, pharmaceuticals (pill pushers), and the current administration (Bush), all have one thing in common.

"Rule By Fear"

5. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe we should wait till the actually report is released? Media tabloids are sketchy sources of information at best. :)

6. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Even with the lower estimate, 33 million is still a hell of a lot of people.

That's what the media does, you know. They first wildly misread the data one way, then wildly overcompensate the other way. Imagine if you lived your life like that.

"The fire department reported my house was completely destroyed by fire!"

A day later:

"Ha! My house is only 75% destroyed by fire! I can't trust a thing the fire department says!"

(You go to live in your house, are killed by falling debris).