1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

U.S. Gas Prices May be Heading Back Near $2.00/gal again

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by TonyPSchaefer, Aug 30, 2006.

1. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Full Article: http://money.cnn.com/2006/08/30/news/econo...=cnn_topstories

Well crap!
    There goes the justification for my hybrid. :angry:

[EDIT]
    I just wanted to add that on the same page as the OP article, at the bottom are more headlines.

In the article posted above, there's this:
    Right under it is the headline:Oil climbs back above $70

2. B Rad

B Rad New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Aug 30 2006, 10:50 AM) [snapback]311611[/snapback]</div>
    If you ONLY bought the Prius because of 50 to 99 Cents a gallon then sell it and get yourself a Hummer. But if you do you will be real angry again this time next year !!!!!!

3. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    NO instead of saying I payed $25 this month in gas I can now say I payed $18 this month. :D

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(B Rad @ Aug 30 2006, 10:57 AM) [snapback]311618[/snapback]</div>
    Ah, you're new here. Tony's just being sarcastic. In the future, when you read his posts, assume he's joking and/or being sarcastic until proven otherwise!

5. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

Told you all.... :p

Artificial market inflation is what's driving up oil prices, not the BS reasons oil companies/screaming liberals are spewing.

I'll bet within 5 years, we'll be down to $1.75.

6. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    good, dang it. DH's gas tank is killing us. and i'll be happy to pay $20ish or so for gas instead of $30.

7. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Aug 30 2006, 11:28 AM) [snapback]311632[/snapback]</div>
    I agree with you Squid! What are the reasons the screaming liberals are spewing?

My theory: Oil companies are seeing the high demand for hybrids and are adjusting their prices accordingly to try to squelch that.

8. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Aug 30 2006, 10:56 AM) [snapback]311611[/snapback]</div>
    Farther in the article, it says
    "Gilman said retail gasoline prices of around $2 a gallon by Thanksgiving were certainly possible, although not likely.
    "He said crude prices would need to drop by about $20 a barrel to have that effect, and he just didn't see any major catalyst that would cause such a decline over the next three months. "

I've seen other talk of $50/barrel, but it seems pretty optimistic. Oil may be priced higher than justified by demand, due to geopolitical concerns, but those concerns haven't all gone away yet. Over half the hurricane season is yet to come. Iran expanded their nuclear enrichment process instead of turning it off, so sanctions seem likely there. Chad, I think it was, recently shut down foreign oil operations in their country. Chavez traveled to China and made some agreements there, so he's probably more than happy not to sell to the U.S.

We might see a dip in the next few months, but I'm sure it won't be permanent. People tell me I made a good choice, especially with today's prices of $3/gallon. I think to myself, it's not for $3/gal that I got the Prius, it's for a year or two down the road when gas might be $4 or $5/gal. There's always the boogeyman of Peak Oil, that might jump out and scare us all at some point.

The best thing for us is a slow increase in prices, so we have time to adjust. Small drops in price inevitably go along with that. A big drop is not beneficial.

9. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dragonfly @ Aug 30 2006, 12:37 PM) [snapback]311636[/snapback]</div>
    Dont you know - its true - its the Iraq War - the War for Oil - we are winning it, thats why prices are going down.

Wait until we attack Iran - gas will be below $1.00 gallon

10. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Faced with flat production and growing global demand, it is hard for me to see that crude oil prices could go anywhere but up. US refiners, by contrast can sell their distillates domestically for whatever they like. Gasoline retailing at $3/gallon makes them lots of profit, $2.50 makes them less. There is room for speculation as to what factors might influence the pricing decisions.

However I am not sure that $2/gallon would be profitable, so I would be willing to bet against that.

11. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Aug 30 2006, 11:57 AM) [snapback]311645[/snapback]</div>
    Attack Iran? With what? We've run out of troops.

12. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dragonfly @ Aug 30 2006, 01:02 PM) [snapback]311650[/snapback]</div>
    Here we go again, the defeatists raising up .....

Who says we need troops anyway? Israel destroyed Iraq's nuclear reactor with just airpower - imagine if your man saddam had nukes????

But then again, you want them to go nuclear so its cool by you.

This will test your/our UN if they[iran] dont stand pretty by tomorrow's deadline.

13. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Aug 30 2006, 12:19 PM) [snapback]311655[/snapback]</div>
    My man? Hardly. And imagine is all I have ever done, dispite what the Administration tried to tell me.
    Where do you get this idea? I have said the opposite.

It's a serious question. If we try to pull off an overthrow of Iran the same way we screwed up Iraq, we'll all end up wearing turbiins. Wasn't Iraq supposed to be a piece of cake?

14. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    HEY!

Go hijack someone else's thread! This thread is about gas prices.

15. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dragonfly @ Aug 30 2006, 01:24 PM) [snapback]311659[/snapback]</div>
    Glad you are for us taking action to prevent iran from going nuclear. this will not involve an invasion like iraq for numerous reasons.

Iraq was not supposed to be a cake walk - too bad that turkey at the last minute prevented the 1st Div from invading from the north through turkey trying to win eu approval for membership which they were ultimately denied. just a little history. that additional hammer hitting the anvil (the invasion from the south) would have probably made it easier - but war is never a cake walk.

And we will all end up under sharia law if we do nothing but let them get stronger - kind of like the 1930's playing out again - this time with nukes.

16. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

Sorry Tony.

17. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Aug 30 2006, 01:30 PM) [snapback]311663[/snapback]</div>
    It does apply - the moment Iran announces or demonstrates it has a nuke, gas prices hit $__.__/gallon
    You can plug whatever numbers in you want to - my guess would be around US$5.00 initially and then up from there. So then your Prius will more than pay for itself - but I would avoid major roadways in the NYC region for a while...

18. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    that explains why the prices are nudging back down to $1/litre... which is still higher than in Toronto and Ottawa...<_<

19. ditto231

ditto231 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dragonfly @ Aug 30 2006, 10:02 AM) [snapback]311650[/snapback]</div>
    We can always contract the war out to someone else like may be China, they have a lot of people. We've already contract everything else out. We have the money and may be cheaper in the long run.

20. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Or India. Either way, that would save on gas costs getting troops in, so it might further help the price of gas to drop.