1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

U.S. Senate Report: Over 400 Prominent Scientists Disputed Man-Made Global Warming Claims in 2007

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by amped, Dec 20, 2007.

1. amped

amped Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    "...[FONT=times new roman,times] [Note: See also July 2007 Senate report detailing how skeptical scientists have faced threats and intimidation - LINK ..."

"
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=times new roman,times]This new committee report, a first of its kind, comes after the UN IPCC chairman Rajendra Pachauri implied that there were only “about half a dozen†skeptical scientists left in the world. ([/FONT][FONT=times new roman,times]LINK[/FONT][FONT=times new roman,times]) Former Vice President Gore has claimed that scientists skeptical of climate change are akin to “flat Earth society members†and similar in number to those who “believe the moon landing was actually staged in a movie lot in Arizona.†([/FONT][FONT=times new roman,times]LINK[/FONT][FONT=times new roman,times]) ..."

http://epw.senate.gov/public/index....ecord_id=f80a6386-802a-23ad-40c8-3c63dc2d02cb
    [/FONT]

2. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    Re: U.S. Senate Report: Over 400 Prominent Scientists Disputed Man-Made Global Warming Claims in 200

400 out of what 400,000?? 4 million?? 40 million??

why is this news?

and prominent scientists?? why?? because a majority were chosen as state climatologists???

since when is a political appointment going to most qualified candidate???

easy to read between the lines when its in bold print

3. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Re: U.S. Senate Report: Over 400 Prominent Scientists Disputed Man-Made Global Warming Claims in 200

It's also unlikely to be 400. A look at their list seems to show no accounting for duplicates (i.e., you can make the list as a separate scientist, as a someone who signed a letter, as someone who signed another letter, as a supporter of a website, as someone quoted out of context, and if you're lucky all 5!). There's a huge amount of name recycling in names from the 60-person letter to a canadian agency and the 100 person letter to Bali. And, of course, many of those names are from people who are not climate scientiets. And the word "emeritus" is prominent among those listed. But mostly, if James Inhofe said it, why, you know it must be right.;)

“The whole idea of weapons of mass destruction was never the issue, yet they keep trying to bring this up,†Inhofe said.
    “The media made that the issue because they knew Saddam Hussein had used weapons of mass destruction.â€

4. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I'm not going to dismiss this out of hand, I hope to find time to follow those sublinks, but I've had my hopes raised before that AGW is not real, and each time they've been dashed.

Several times people point out that the climate has changed in the past so the current climate change is nothing new. I even read one person some time back arguing that glaciers have always melted and calved, as if this was something new and stunning. Everybody knows the climate is not static (and that icebergs are a seasonal phenomenon), the question is, is it changing this time for a different reason, and will the change be too fast for society to adapt? Nature will still exist, maybe with another mass extinction, but there will be life on this planet for a good long time yet. Just maybe not a thriving civilization.

It's also worth noting that even these dissenters don't always agree, as in these examples that were listed back-to-back, where the British guy says there's no basis for AGW and the Chinese scientists say there is, but just not to the degree generally stated:

5. MegansPrius

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II

Richard Courtney is a Technical Editor for CoalTrans International (journal of the international coal trading industry). I can't imagine why someone who works for the coal industry would not believe in global warming.

Lin Zhen-Shan and Sun Xian's article is just the sort of "dissident" article that is supposed to be censored by the peer-review process. It was first published online in July 2006, so it's not particularly new for 2007. Their paper isn’t about physics or climate science, but about a mathematical analysis of temperature time series.

In another of their 2006 articles (see the conclusion at the end), Lin Zhen-Shan concludes "The warming or cooling are in amount or size of sun spot. The sun will enter inactive period in the coming decades, the earth temperature will drop."

So I'll go ahead and remain unswayed by this list of 400.

6. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona

gee... we hash this out over and over....

i think the real question is not if we are causing GW, its can the Earth continue to absorb the billions of tons of CO2 we pump into the air we breathe?

can our lungs survive it?
    can our children grow up to be healthy breathing it?
    what about the other particulates and toxins associated with burning fossil fuels?

its sad that only the anticipated extreme short term destruction of our way of life is the only thing we choose to discuss while long term slow decay of our atmosphere does not warrant discussion because a few tens of million people getting a major respiratory disease is not important enough

i am ashamed

7. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

Oddly enough, every one of those 400 scientists had the same handwriting. Among the "prominent" scientists to sign were Mike Easter, Jim Nazium, and Justin Tyme.

8. desynch

desynch Die-Hard Conservative

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

Global Warming / Climate Change is a natural occurrence that only humans with big enough ego's could possibly think they are the cause of it.

That doesn't mean I'm not all for cleaner fuels and taking care of the environment. I'm actually all for that. We need to cut this crap with burning fossil fuels for power. We need an alternative that is not only better for the environment, but cheaper, easier, and all in all - CLEANER.

9. amped

amped Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Leaving "only" 398. Actually probably less when applying that yardstick.

Based on your logic, you'd have to refute all man-caused global warming theories too since some promoting the theory are funded in part by groups with a conflict of interest.

10. MegansPrius

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II

The report was put together by Marc Morano, known for being the first reporter to report the "Swift Boat Veterans for Truth" story. He's a good fiction writer. His big dumb list is full of duplicates and weathermen and crackpots and/or people who don't actually dispute AGW:
    For example, Morano quotes Dr. Eigil Friis-Christensen, Director of the Danish National Space Centre offering this banal statement of the obvious: ""The sun is the source of the energy that causes the motion of the atmosphere and thereby controls weather and climate. Any change in the energy from the sun received at the Earth's surface will therefore affect climate." Morano, however, neglects to mention that Dr. Friis-Christensen says, quite clearly, that change is solar radiation CANNOT be demonstrated to have caused the climate change of recent years. In fact, he says: "There is no reason to neglect a contribution from man made greenhouse gases."
    Another "prominent scientist" is listed as "Australian climate data analyst Dr. John McLean, who, by his own self-described webpage, is a computer consultant and travel photographer. No background in climate science.
    Another "prominent scientist" is listed as "Chemist Frank Britton" who wrote his condemnation "in a July 28, 2007 article in the Pasadena Star." Well. Letter to the editor/opinion piece, actually. At the end of his published piece (no longer available on the Star News web site but archived here) he lists his impressive credentials: Frank Britton has a degree in chemistry from Cal State L.A. He lives in Pasadena. Yessiree, an undergraduate degree in chemistry does a "prominent scientist" make. No background in climate science.
    Another "prominent scientist" is a retired professor, electronics engineer "Dr. John Brignell is a UK Emeritus Engineering Professor of Northampton Engineering College." He's such a prominent scientist, he self-published both of his books on sale at Amazon.co.uk. No background in climate science.
    Another "prominent scientist" is "Retired Air Force atmospheric scientist Dr. Edward F Blick, Professor of Meteorology and Engineering at University of Oklahoma" who published his anti-global warming tract on the website of the TWIN C I T I E S C R E A T I O N S C I E N C E A S S O C I A T I O N. Dr. Blick's current book on sale at Amazon is the Scientific Analysis of Genesis in which he concludes "concludes that scientific evidence supports the Genesis account of special creation." Oh, and he's also listed elsewhere as: Edward F. Blick, Ph.D., Professor of Petroleum and Geological Engineering, Retired, University of Oklahoma. So he's an oilman and a creationist. Neat!
    Another "prominent scientist" is Iowa State Climatologist Dr. Elwynn Taylor, Professor of Meteorology at Iowa State University. The 400 list cherry-picks some quotes to make him a skeptic. The same article the 400-list cherry picks also states, " 'The point that Taylor makes with his ozone story is not, "Hey people, the ozone hole is our fault, so global warming probably is, too," but rather, "Hey people, human beings have cooperated and stopped the ozone hole from getting worse, so we just might be able to stop global warming from getting worse, too.' " More clearly, he states his position on his website: The only responsible computation (to date to my knowledge) of the contribution people have made to climate change is 5% of the observed change. Bankers care about 5%, we should too.-- Elwynn. So basically, he neither denies AGW or that we should be taking action. And hey, what a coincidence--he has a background in climate science.
    That's just me choosing a spot in the list and working some of the names.
    This big dumb list is simply a piece of blog-propanganda, intended to be circulated through email and never checked. Congratulations Amped! You've swallowed it hook, line, and sinker! I also know of some swampland in Florda you might find enticing...

11. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

OK, the options are two: we believe the 400 and do nothing about global warming since we aren't causing it, or we doubt the 400 and do something because we are causing it, and it's serious.

The consequences of doing nothing could potentially lead to our demise, or, at best, radically change how we live; the consequences of doing something can avert total disaster and allow us to survive.

I'm sorry, but I think only an idiot would elect to do nothing. I sure don't see much of an argument here.

12. amped

amped Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

MegansPrius, I guess you missed that it was a US Senate report in the link provided, not an email or random blogger as you incorrectly allege. I'd also add that T. Boone Pickens has a $1,000,000 challenge to John Kerry for him to disprove the heroic Swift Boat Vets For Truth advertising claims. Kerry hasn't, and won't because he can't, respond.

Bob Allen there's a gray area. It's called Capitalism and free-market innovation. Notice that the US was surpassed by Communist China as a "greenhouse gas" emitter, while the US rate of increase is below most of the developed Kyoto signatories.

Oh, I get enough swampland right here on PriusChat, thanks. And I take it that your silence is agreement that the reams of tainted evidence by some "researchers" providing "proof" for GW disproves the rest of the arguments in favor, too. Unless you're a hypocrite, but I'll be kind and just believe you're easily duped by any opinion supporting your ideology and agenda.

13. PriuStorm

PriuStorm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

I'd have to agree with you 100%

In addition to your argument, there is really no disadvantage to curbing pollution. Less pollution means less allergens, less 'bad air' days, less smog, etc. I think only an idiot would want to keep polluting when there are cleaner options around.

14. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona

you are right...unfortunately, the idiots control a huge part of the financial structuring of the US

15. desynch

desynch Die-Hard Conservative

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

Whether or not we are the cause of the climate change (we're not), we still need to find a cleaner, renewable, cheaper fuel source. It is NECESSARY.

16. patrickindallas

patrickindallas Shire rat

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Alright. That's it. Everyone out of the pool. desynch has chimed in
    with the facts, and we can all quit arguing about it.

I'm glad to see you're so sure although I bet I could waterboard you until you said the exact opposite.

17. brewski

brewski New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

Specifically, the "consensus" about anthropogenic climate change entails the following:

1) the climate is undergoing a pronounced warming trend beyond the range of natural variability;
    2) the major cause of most of the observed warming is rising levels of the greenhouse gas CO2;
    3) the rise in CO2 is the result of burning fossil fuels;
    4) if CO2 continues to rise over the next century, the warming will continue; and
    5) a climate change of the projected magnitude over this time frame represents potential danger to human welfare and the environment.

These conclusions have been explicitly endorsed by:

Academia Brasiliera de Ciências (Bazil)
    Royal Society of Canada
    Chinese Academy of Sciences
    Academié des Sciences (France)
    Deutsche Akademie der Naturforscher Leopoldina (Germany)
    Indian National Science Academy
    Accademia dei Lincei (Italy)
    Science Council of Japan
    Russian Academy of Sciences
    Royal Society (United Kingdom)
    National Academy of Sciences (United States of America)
    Australian Academy of Sciences
    Royal Flemish Academy of Belgium for Sciences and the Arts
    Caribbean Academy of Sciences
    Indonesian Academy of Sciences
    Royal Irish Academy
    Academy of Sciences Malaysia
    Academy Council of the Royal Society of New Zealand
    Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences

In addition to these national academies, the following institutions specializing in climate, atmosphere, ocean, and/or earth sciences have endorsed these conclusions:

NASA's Goddard Institute of Space Studies (GISS)
    National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)
    National Academy of Sciences (NAS)
    State of the Canadian Cryosphere (SOCC)
    Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
    Royal Society of the United Kingdom (RS)
    American Geophysical Union (AGU)
    American Institute of Physics (AIP)
    National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR)
    American Meteorological Society (AMS)
    Canadian Meteorological and Oceanographic Society (CMOS)

These organizations also agree with the consensus:

The Earth Institute at Columbia University
    Northwestern University
    University of Akureyri
    University of Iceland
    Iceland GeoSurvey
    National Centre for Atmospheric Science UK
    Climate Group
    Climate Institute
    Climate Trust
    Wuppertal Institute for Climate Environment and Energy
    Royal Meteorological Society
    Community Research and Development Centre Nigeria
    Geological Society of London
    Geological Society of America
    UK Centre for Social and Economic Research on the Global Environment
    Pew Center on Global Climate Change
    American Association for the Advancement of Science
    National Research Council
    Juelich Research Centre
    US White House
    US Council on Environmental Quality
    US Office of Science Technology Policy
    US National Climatic Data Center
    US Department of Commerce
    US National Environmental Satellite, Data, and Information Service
    The National Academy of Engineering
    The Institute of Medicine
    UK Natural Environment Research Council
    Office of Science and Technology Policy
    Council on Environmental Quality
    National Economic Council
    Office of Management and Budget
    The National Academy of Engineering
    The Institute of Medicine
    UK Natural Environment Research Council
    Australian Government Bureau of Meteorology
    Engineers Australia
    American Chemical Society
    American Association of Blacks in Energy
    World Petroleum Council
    The Weather Channel
    National Geographic

The following companiesagree with the consensus:

ABB
    Air France
    Alcan
    Alcoa
    Allian
    American Electric Power
    Aristeia Capital
    BASF
    Bayer
    BP America Inc.
    Calvert Group
    Canadian Electricity Association
    Caterpilliar Inc.
    Centrica
    Ceres
    Chevron
    China Renewable
    Citigroup
    ConocoPhillips
    Covanta Holding Corporation
    Deutsche Telekom
    Doosan Babcock Energy Limited
    Duke Energy
    DuPont
    EcoSecurities
    Electricity de France North America
    Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand
    Endesa
    Energettech Austraila Pty Ltd
    Energy East Corporation
    Energy Holding Romania
    Energy Industry Association
    Eni
    Eskorn
    ETG International
    Exelon Corporation
    ExxonMobil
    F&C Asset Management
    FPL Group
    General Electric
    German Electricity Association
    Glitnir Bank
    Global Energy Network Institute, Iberdrola
    ING Group
    Institute for Global Environmental Strategies
    Interface Inc.
    International Gas Union
    International Paper
    International Power
    Marsh & McLennan Companies
    Massachusetts Municipal Wholesale Electric Company
    MEDIAS-France
    MissionPoint Capital Partners
    Munich Re
    National Grid
    National Power Company of Iceland
    NGEN mgt II, LLC
    NiSource
    NRG Energy
    PG&E Corporation
    PNM Resources
    Reykjavik Energy
    Ricoh
    Rio Tinto Energy Services
    Rockefeller Brothers Fund
    Rolls-Royce
    Societe Generale de Surveillance (SGS Group)
    Stora Enso North America
    Stratus Consulting
    Sun Management Institute
    Swiss Re
    UCG Partnership
    US Geothermal
    Verde Venture Partners
    Volvo

In addition, the scientific consensus is also endorsed by the CEO's of the following companies:

A. O. Smith Corporation
    Abbott Laboratories
    Accenture Ltd.
    ACE Limited
    ADP
    Aetna Inc.
    Air Products and Chemicals, Inc.
    AK Steel Corporation
    Alcatel-Lucent
    Allstate Insurance Company
    ALLTEL Corporation
    Altec Industries, Inc.
    American Electric Power Company, Inc.
    American Express Company
    American International Group, Inc.
    Ameriprise Financial
    AMR Corporation/American Airlines
    Anadarko Petroleum Corporation
    Apache Corporation
    Applera Corporation
    Arch Coal, Inc.
    Archer Daniels Midland Company
    ArvinMeritor, Inc.
    AstraZeneca Pharmaceuticals LP
    Avery Dennison Corporation
    Avis Budget Group, Inc.
    Bechtel Group, Inc.
    BNSF Railway
    Boeing Company
    Brink's Company
    CA
    Carlson Companies, Inc.
    Case New Holland Inc.
    Ceridian Corporation
    Chemtura Corporation
    Chubb Corporation
    CIGNA Corporation
    Coca-Cola Company
    Constellation Energy Group, Inc.
    Convergys Corporation
    Con-way Incorporated
    Corning Incorporated
    Crane Co.
    CSX Corporation
    Cummins Inc.
    Deere & Company
    Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu
    Delphi Corporation
    Dow Chemical Company
    Eastman Chemical Company
    Eastman Kodak Company
    Eaton Corporation
    EDS
    Eli Lilly and Company
    EMC Corporation
    Ernst & Young, L.L.P.
    Fannie Mae
    FedEx Corporation
    Fluor Corporation
    FMC Corporation
    Freddie Mac
    General Mills, Inc.
    General Motors Corporation
    Goldman Sachs Group, Inc.
    Goodrich Corporation
    Harman International Industries, Inc.
    Hartford Financial Services Group
    Home Depot, Inc., The
    Honeywell International, Inc.
    HSBC - North America
    Humana Inc.
    IBM Corporation
    Ingersoll-Rand Company
    International Textile Group
    ITT Corporation
    Johnson Controls, Inc.
    JP Morgan Chase & Co.
    KPMG LLP
    Liberty Mutual Group
    MassMutual
    MasterCard Incorporated
    McGraw-Hill Companies
    McKesson Corporation
    MeadWestvaco Corporation
    Medco Health Solutions, Inc.
    Merck & Co., Inc.
    Merrill Lynch & Company, Inc.
    MetLife, Inc.
    Morgan Stanley
    Motorola, Inc.
    Nasdaq Stock Market, Inc.
    National Gypsum Company
    Nationwide
    Navistar International Corporation
    New York Life Insurance Company
    Norfolk Southern Corporation
    Northwestern Mutual Life Insurance Company
    Nucor Corporation
    NYSE Group, Inc.
    Office Depot, Inc.
    Owens Corning (Reorganized) Inc.
    Pactiv Corporation
    Peabody Energy Corporation
    Pfizer Inc
    PPG Industries, Inc.
    Praxair, Inc.
    PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP
    Principal Financial Group
    Procter & Gamble Company
    Prudential Financial
    Realogy Corporation
    Rockwell Automation, Inc.
    Ryder System, Inc.
    SAP America, Inc.
    Sara Lee Corporation
    SAS Institute Inc.
    Schering-Plough Corporation
    Schneider National, Inc.
    ServiceMaster Company
    Siemens Corporation
    Southern Company
    Springs Global US, Inc.
    Sprint Nextel
    St. Paul Travelers Companies, Inc.
    State Farm Insurance Companies
    Tenneco
    Texas Instruments Incorporated
    Textron Incorporated
    Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.
    TIAA-CREF
    Tyco Electronics
    Tyco International Ltd.
    Union Pacific Corporation
    Unisys Corporation
    United Technologies Corporation
    UnitedHealth Group Incorporated
    USG Corporation
    Verizon Communications
    W.W. Grainger, Inc.
    Western & Southern Financial Group
    Weyerhaeuser Company
    Whirlpool Corporation
    Williams Companies, Inc.
    Xerox Corporation
    YRC Worldwide Inc

I'll take this "consensus" over the 400 "scientists" handpicked by Sen Inhofe for his minority skeptics report.

18. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I

Brewski-

You are not going to convince GW critics by the size of your laundry list....nor should any be swayed.

19. amped

amped Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

As I see it, the man-caused/man-cured GW proponents have substituted a politically and spiritually driven belief system for the scientific method. "Consensus Science" becomes the buzz of the day while the truth is dismissed, much like we saw during the '70's "Coming Ice Age".

20. patrickindallas

patrickindallas Shire rat

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Spiritually driven belief system?

You have got to be kidding!

That's rich.