1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Uber, Lyft, delivery...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Danny3xd, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Danny3xd

Danny3xd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My 2005 Prius is about the best car for the above. (title) that I have found or can think of. I have a courier business as well as drive for Uber & Lyft. My Uber and Lyft passengers are amazed at the longevity of the prius. (265,000 miles) and at the mileage. (47.5 MPG tonight. Winter in CT, U.S.)

I'm retired and am not in great need of a high paying job. So opened the courier biz that is small and failing. Tried delivering pizzas. The prius is perfect. Fold down the rear seats and you can put a whole lota' pizzas!

But people are crazy when it comes to food. Was more pressure than it was worth. It probably averaged $15 an hour. But during lunch rushes, I have made $30 an hr. It was a fun job and very easy money. Made a lot more thanks to my Prius.

A good friend and fellow worker at the bar teased me to ....a lot. Taunting me with I was a P******* Pword for driving "that Pword car" snork. It really was mostly good-natured ribbing.

At the time, my Pri had 250K miles. His heman, woman hater jeep had 140 or 150K miles and had just gotten out of the shop for the 3rd time in 2 months. Now he could not get it into 4wheel-drive and only had rear drive. My Prius made it up a snow covered hill that the "Man-Truck" could not.

#1 Danny3xd, Mar 10, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
    Patrick Devine and 'LectroFuel like this.
  2. stockdaddy

stockdaddy Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you want to drive well in the snow than you need snow tires but for most in the USA it isn't worth it to get them for the very few times you may need it. Personally i think the risk of idiots wrecking into you in snow weather isn't worth driving on the roads.

I agree the Prius is a perfect car for ride share/delivery. There is a balance between not giving a F*** and learning how to give friendly customer service without bending over backwards for customers.

Patrick Devine likes this.
  3. Danny3xd

Danny3xd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Funny you should mention snow tires, SD. I just invested in new tires. Goodyear Assurance fuel Max.
    Pricy at 96$ before Uber discount. But so far, love em.
    Doing the ridesharing thing, I feel obligated to have the safest, best gear possible. Even though these are all season. Next winter I will be investing in winter tires. These will need replacing by then. I drive a lot.

Really loving Ubering. ("Lubering" adding Lyft)

Tonight I am hopping around Stores CT. At/ around UConn. Kinda dead due to spring break but Uber guarantees $20 an hour (-their 25%) on Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights here. And the passengers are great!

Wish I found this gig yrs ago.

Patrick Devine likes this.
  4. Danny3xd

Danny3xd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    We are expecting an actual blizzard here in CT., today. March in New England. Comes in like a lion. Goes out like a freak, killer snow storm.

Uber just sent me a text saying they are closing down at 5AM. Started seeing flurries around midnight.

But man! I am glad I got the new tires! I was really going back and forth on going with LRR, summer tires vs. the all seasons. Not that I will be out in the worst of it. But will be as soon as the traffic ban is over.