1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Uber question -- how to use if you have no smartphone

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Stevewoods, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Title says it all.

Mostly out of stubborn mindset (wife says cheap), I have only a basic "dumb" cell phone and see no reason to get a SmartPhone.

However, I am going on a quick overnight trip and thought I might use Uber.

According to their Web site, I need a smartphone.

I did find a Web site called go granny go, or something like that, which purports to serve geezers who have no smartphone. You phone them, they book Uber for you.

But they charge 13 percent of your Uber Fare, plus so much per mile -- again -- all on top of the Uber fare.

Since my Uber fare would be around $120 (roundtrip), I would like to avoid that site, which would probably add $25 or more to the bill.

Is there any reason that someone else with a SmartPhone, who may be a few hundred miles away, could not call Uber for me when I am ready.

Or any other ideas (if it comes down to it, I will probably go ahead with the go granny site, but then again, a penny saved...).

#1 Stevewoods, Mar 27, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    What's wrong with a cab or other traditional hired car?

RCO and Stevewoods like this.
  3. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The traditional cab, would actually be in the range of the Uber price with the go granny surcharge -- so the cab is also much more expensive.

But, thanks for mentioning it. If the Uber thing is a no go, it might be Yellow Cab.

4. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I think I agree with your wife. The description was "stubborn" wasn't it ??
    Uber will expect to see the order placed from a phone that they can identify with YOU......in most cases.

For that kind of distance/money you would be better off to RENT A CAR.

jerrymildred likes this.
  5. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I will have a rental, actually. A large rental UHaul truck. I will be on the outskirts of San Francisco. I am picking up furniture from a relative's house on the outskirts of the city. I arrive on Friday afternoon, pick-up the furniture and drive away first thing Saturday.

However, my son works in Downtown SFO at a large hotel. Thought I would show up and spend his dinner hour with him.

No way am I driving a UHaul into Downtown SFO. Indeed, I hate driving anything into that city. :rolleyes:Relatives are too old to drive. Son does not have a car.

Thus, my issue. If it were not his birthday two days later, I would pass on the visit to him....but it looks like probably taxi. Public transit does not work for the location and hours. And renting a car would be pretty difficult also (but Enterprise does say they will pick me up!) But after parking fees in downtown...Can't return the car until 9 a.m. and I want to be on the road at daybreak.

#5 Stevewoods, Mar 27, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  6. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Now you have a reason. ;)

But, yeah, renting wouldn't be much more than $120, would it? Then you go anywhere, any time.

No offense, Steve, please, but we have an old friend who brags about not having even a cell phone or a computer, much less a smart phone. He's a really nice guy, but Mark Watney had better communications while he was stranded on Mars! LOL! :ROFLMAO:

7. Samprocat

Samprocat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    May I suggest Lyft...much cheaper than Uber or

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

8. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Uber and Lyft have lower prices than traditional taxis by circumventing regulations and not playing on an even field.

9. Samprocat

Samprocat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    What is good...they became rip-off companies with outrageous prices...This good for allSame way they complain about internet phone companies..now we all benefit from

10. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Or they have to pay higher insurance rates and fees to register and run back ground checks on their drivers, just like bus companies, limos, and even horse drawn carriages have too. When regulations catch up to ride share companies, they fight them with smear and scare campaigns about how a town, city, or county is trying to ban them, not that the government simply wants them to follow the same rules as any other ride service.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    change is inevitable. taxi's are doomed to extinction, it's just a matter of when. sort of like the combustion engine. eventually, i'll get a smart phone, if i live long enough.

12. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It is inevitable as an Uber driver losing coverage when their insurance company finds out they are driving for Uber.

13. Samprocat

Samprocat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Not true...you are insured by them once you are online....your insurance is when you log out
    Same way is Lyft

14. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    When you sign the contract with the insurance company, you have told them how many miles the car will get driven, where it is normally parked, how many miles driven for commuting to work, etc.

If you don't tell them that you drive for Uber or Lyft, and they find out, they can drop you for falsifying the application. It doesn't matter if they aren't on the hook for anything that happens while you are on the Uber the clock. It is the fact that you lied to them.

If you do tell them about your ride share job, the insurance goes from personal to business use, the rates shoot up, and there goes that extra money made.

If you have actual evidence, beyond what Uber and Lyft say, to the contrary, please share it.

15. Samprocat

Samprocat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    My relative drive for Lyft...she lease car from Lyft....
    This what you say is true with your car
    Not with rental

16. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Them supplying the car is a different arrangement. One that I think is somewhat recent. They still get to pass on the back ground checks needed for drivers in similar services.
    But then Uber and Lyft are invested in self driving cars.

17. Samprocat

Samprocat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    True....Same as Budweiser that want Autonomous Truck

18. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Are Budweiser truck drivers partaking on the job?

19. Samprocat

Samprocat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    They where in side autonomous truck was preformed on interstate only...no local roads or backing to the dockMilitary already have this technology and is completely independentSimply artificial intelligence OS

20. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    When I go to downtown SF, I take my car to a BART station near there (Milbrae?), then take BART into downtown. If I have more time, then I take my car to CalTrain, and CalTrain to downtown. Marin county has bus service into SF, or even ferry. The shuttle services at SF airport are about 1/3 the cost of a taxi, so you could take one of them to the airport, and then BART into the city.

So my idea is to use CalTrain/BART for the long haul, with a car/bus/taxi for the two ends. For any public transit in the SF area, be sure to get a Clipper card. Senior Clipper card is a real bargain.

RCO likes this.